1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twelve Strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Had two 12-strings at separate times. Never played them, so I sold them.

Built an electric 12, and I play it all the time. Just a lot more comfortable and versatile.

image.jpeg

RoyBGood, Jim622, Mike SS and 5 others like this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that looks nice Ira7. Did you build it from scratch, from parts, or from a kit? Looks like a Gotoh bridge. Could you post a picture of the headstock? And - last question - what string set are you using?

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

All of the above as to general condition, bridge pull on the top and neck bow. In my experience acoustic 12s are best tuned lower than six string guitars - tuned DGCGAD or even a whole step lower. I recall reading that Kottke tunes as low as Bb. And as light gauge strings as you are comfortable with.

RoyBGood likes this.
  4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Used a GFS body and lipstick pups.

Don't have a photo of the head on this iPad now. Will post later.

It was a blank paddle neck that I had to drill and shape. A member here gave me a template. Not a great neck, from Eden, but cheap.

jhundt likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

It's kinda hard for me to remember now when I first heard/heard of Leo Kottke. Probably from reading about him in Guitar Player magazine back in the '70s, then listening to his music.

Yeah, that's a fun song. This has reminded me that I used to play this, albeit on a six string. I didn't have a 12 string, and I don't have Leo's chops. His version of that song I actually like more than the original by Tom T. Hall, and I like the original version.

So YOU'RE "the guy who married Pamela Brown"?!? Metaphorically or literally?

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Drive a pickup truck?
    Spend your days drivin kids to school?
    Been out of the country lately?

7. jhundt

I am curious about the tuning pegs and how they are aligned, and if you used a string retainer. And if so, what the retainer looks like. Mine is built from a VERY cheap kit, and it needs a retainer, but the one that came with the kit was trash. I have made a temporary substitut, but I'm looking for ideas for a permanent replacement.

8. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I bought a cheap 12 string years ago. It was so hard to play it put me off of them. Just got a good one this spring. Wish I’d never touched the cheap one

9. jhundt

I would appreciate seeing it. I am curious about tuner alignment; and whether you use a string retainer; and if so, what type.

Mine was built from a very cheap kit. The head design is uninspired, but it works. It needs a string retainer, and the one that came with the kit wasn't very good.
    [​IMG]

Jim622 and DrASATele like this.
  10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

whatdya get?

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Every man should own at least one 12 string in his lifetime. He will likely be over wanting one for good when he parts with it.

Anode100 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. jhundt

that's funny, I have the opposite experience. I had one twelve-string in the past - a very lovely Vox (shown below). I used it sporadically, but loved it unconditionally. I gave it to a friend when I moved away.

In the last two or three years I have been getting crazy about 12s, since I bought that old Klira in a junk-shop. These days I almost never play my Telecaster, I just reach for one of the 12s. 6-string guitars just sound like they are missing something - like the other 6 strings!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad you like them, I find them mildly annoying to play, even more so to listen to. I just had to have one, but when I was done with it, about 40 years ago, I've never wanted another. My son has a Martin D-21 12 when I feel the need to play one. I think the last time I picked it up was about ten years ago. All things guitar are mostly about choice. I'm glad for your sake you like them, but I just don't.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. jhundt

What kind of music do you play T'sD?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree absolutely. I myself have two (both acoustic) that have been sitting untouched in a closet for thirty-thirty-five years.......
    BTW....when I need an electric twelve, I just use a DigiTech Mosaic pedal.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I love 12 strings, and have acoustic and electric models. Love the sound.

If you're interested in that Goya, tune it to pitch and check for belly bulge... twelve strings pulling up on that top exerts a lot of force. If that's good (a little is okay) and the neck is reasonably straight, you'll probably be okay.

For $100 it may just be for cowboy chords, but those cowboy chords will sound great!

17. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I have a China-built 12 with a local store brand on it which played pretty well when I bought it. Over time it got to where I couldn't do a barre F on it without the strings hitting frets up the board. I decided to carve a new nut and saddle out of bone for it. Not sure how I'm gonna love it when I finish it, but we'll see. This guitar has earned its nickname of "the monster".

18. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Take the easy option eh.

19. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I stacked $$ for a while at my local shop which, along with other brands, is a Taylor dealer. I bought the low-end Taylor 12-string, the 150e. I love it! Plays and tunes so nice and easy. Sounds great plugged straight into a sound system, but doesn't handle preamp or effects well. Except compression. Over the years I've owned a Fender Villager 12, a Seagull, a Simon & Patrick, an Alvarez; sold em all pretty quickly cause they didn't get played. I've been playing and gigging with the Taylor a lot. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/150e

[​IMG]

Jim622, DrASATele and Tonetele like this.
  20. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I must be getting old and feeble i always tune my 12 string a octave down then put a capo on the 1st fret
    Some of those old 70's 12 string acoustics can take a bit of abuse look at some of the tunings Mike Rutherford used back in the early days of Genesis not for the faint hearted

slauson slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.