Tweeds with Tremolo; Tremolux vs Vibrolux

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by imsilly, May 17, 2009.

1. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I have kind of come to the conclusion that I'd like a tweed amp with tremolo/vibrato circuit. That basically limits me to a choice between a Tremolux and a Vibrolux.

Headroom is not really a concern, neither is volume in general. What I want is a lot of break up that sound nice and a swampy tremolo to go with it.

So what are the tonal difference between Tremolux and Vibrolux breakup and tremolo? Which do you prefer? And Why?

Thanks

2. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

My '59 Tremolux has a very primitive/organic vibrato circuit.............to die for.
    I did own a tweed Vibrolux for awhile,but don't remember too much about the vibrato....they (Tremolux/Vibrolux) both break up early.I prefer the Tremolux.

3. Telemonger

Telemonger TDPRI Member

I have owned both and thought that the Tremolux sounded better to me. The larger cabinet with 12" speaker gave it a larger, swampier sound.

4. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

I like the Tremolux...but mines a 55' and breaks up even earlier and easier than the later ones (more like a Deluxe w/ trem). I think I've played through a tweed Vibrolux once and thought it was too clean...but that was a long time ago and at this point in time that would probably be a "plus".

With the Tremolux, don't expect "band volume" with anything less than total distortion.

FWIW, I really don't think that the Tremolo is that great or that big of a deal to have (I rarely if ever have used it). If I was looking for an amp I'd just go for a Tweed Deluxe (or any one of the excellent clones available) and get a nice vibrato pedal...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.