Tweed Twin or Dr Z Maz 18 with cab???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Del Pickup, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

My 57 Twin has been acting up recently and while it's been in the shop I've started thinking about other amps I might like to have instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Twin and hopefully when it comes back it'll be all good again and I'll fall in love with it all over again.

However, I've got some serious GAS for a Dr Z Maz 18 head with 2 x 12 cabinet. The vids I've seen make it sound great and a very versatile amp and I also like the head and cab idea as it must be a bit easier to move around than the Twin (which can be fairly awkward getting in and out of the car and is pretty heavy).

Anybody got any thoughts on this change of heart on my part? Should I, shouldn't I?? What would you do?

In a perfect world, I'd have both but that ain't gonna happen as I can't afford to have both.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Maz is a VERY different amp from a Tweed Twin. Make sure you try one first before you buy it. As I've posted here before, I live where the Z's are made, and the local dealer/rep is a great friend of mine. I've played just about every Z model there is, and I would love to own a bunch of them. They are stellar amps.

That said, I don't like the Maz 18 at all. I won't use one. If I go to a jam and that's all that's there, I'll just sit and listen, as I do not find playing through one of those amps an enjoyable experience.

If you like the Voxy EL84 "clang and bang" type of tone, you'll probably dig it. I don't like EL84 amps, or that type of tone. To me the Maz is just harsh, bright, and nasty. It's gritty and brittle. I can never get any sustain or cream out of one, and there isn't enough clean headroom to get a decent clean and use pedals. I know a lot of people like them a lot, but I wouldn't have one.

I do however LOVE many of the good Doc's other amps, and will be getting at least one within the next year.

3. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

Don't make me come down there Del... ;)

4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Del:

This may be relevant. I got my '57 tweed twin RI running just right, but keep thinking it's too much amp for me, I need to go head and cab. So put it up for sale. No luck. Meanwhile, trade into two amp heads, an Allen Encore, and a really cool old Garnet Lil Rock. And pick up two cabs. So I'm all set. Then hear the tape of a gig we did in August where I used the TT and a spruce topped tele. Realized I could be making a serious mistake. So now I have too many amps, that's for sure, but I'm so relieved the TT didn't go. Maybe I got lucky ... this one is right up there with the best tweed anything I've heard, owned or played. Had I sold it, I'd be sick right now. Yes, it's too much amp. Screw it, I like how it sounds.

MD

5. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Since I'm already a very satisfied Dr. Z Carmen Ghia owner, I'd hang on to that '57 Tweed Twin! They sound fantastic.

6. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

The Twin is down?

That sucks :(

Get the Twin running again (great amp)... but getting another amp (especially the Maz 18) couldn't hurt ;)

Get both Del...

7. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

You should! I went to NZ a couple weeks ago, and it was beautiful. :cool:

- Scott

8. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

OK OK, I'm probably just a bit frustrated with the Twin acting up and being out of commission for almost 3 weeks now. Heck I could have learned about electronics and built myself a new one in the time it's taken this shop to do nothing with my little baby!!

Interesting comments on the Maz 18, Jakedog. The vids make it sound like a cracking good amp - definitely different to the Twin but none of them gave me any negative thoughts about tone as you suggest.

Sadly, the NZ dealer for Dr Z is in Auckland so there wouldn't be any chance of trying before I bought one. But I hear what you say about there being not enough headroom, etc. Part of me says it would be good to get some crunch out of the amp itself instead of using pedals but then again, I've got the pedals that work for the Twin so, as I say, maybe I'm just peeved about the problems it's having and the lack of action from the dealer/repairer.

But I still like the idea of a head and cab..........

As for you coming here to beat me over the head for even contemplating selling the Twin, Sterling, NZ is a great place to live (and visit) so maybe that's not such a bad idea!!

9. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

So *you're* the guy!

Just kidding - to each his own...

I love my Maz, it's pretty bright, I guess, but if you like Voxy-Fendery-Marshally amps, you should dig it too...

YMMV, of course.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It very well may just be how I play. I have an uncanny ability to make EL84 amps sound terrible. I can't get any kind of tone I like out of a Vox either. Lots of Fenders have the headroom I need, but sound too scooped. I like the tweeds, not so scoopy, more fat mids, but many of them don't have the headroom I like either.

I'm a Marshall voicing kind of guy. I am one of the rare pickers that prefer Marshall amps because of the clean tones they are capable of. EL34 amps just seem to have the sweet mids and tight low end that I prefer. I can deal with a lot of different amps. While I may not find them ideal, I can usually get something workable out of them. Not the Maz. It just doesn't work for me. But like you said, to each his own.:D

I wasn't posting to slam the Maz really, I just wanted the OP to be aware of how different it is from his Twin. They are really not even in the same ballpark IMO. Who knows, he may end up liking the Maz a lot better. But it's an awful lot of money to drop to end up not getting what you need. Just weighing that in.

As for the whole "head with a cab" idea, I like that a lot. I was a combo guy for a long time. 2X12, 1X12, 2X10, 4X10, I had tons of them. My main tube rig though is a small box Marshall head and a lightweight 2X12 cab. It's great for any size room, easier to transport, and much easier to move than a heavy 2X12 combo. It's a smart way to go fer sher.

11. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

Del, I just didn't want you to end up with sellers remorse like I have (big time)! :cry:

12. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have never played a tweed twin, so I can't comment on those, but I love my Maz 18. I play a 2x10 combo and really like what is does through 10" speakers. A 2x10 combo isn't really too big to lug around. It won't have the clean headroom that a larger amp will, but it breaks up very nicely. If you like the idea of the amp but want a more headroom look at the Maz Sr. At 38 watts it will give you more than enough headroom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.