Tweed Tremolux's PT Too Hot?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Columbus, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

I recently had my '55 Tremolux serviced. The PT was getting pretty hot so I was worried about it.
    The tech replaced the filter caps and a few others, but said the PT was fine. He also said that it will still get somewhat hot because it was designed to run on 110V and most outlets in the US put out 120-125V now. I would like to gig with this amp, but I'm worried about burning the PT. It gets pretty warm after about 40 minutes. Not too hot to touch, but still warmer than the PTs on my other (later) Fenders. The tech suggested the possibility of using a variac w/ the amp. Is this a good idea?
    Any other suggestions?
    Should I be worried at all?
    How hot is too hot for a PT?
    Thanks!

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

If you can still touch it after a couple hours, it's probably fine.

- Scott

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

If you check over at the 18watt family of forums (fora?) there is frequent discussion about controlling the high-powered wall current most of us live with. I think they have a contraption that a reasonably handy chap can build to knock that extra 15 volts off your inbound power.

Or maybe, you could find someone with a variac and try it out, see if that does in fact control the heat situation.

Do those Furman power conditioners allow for knocking down the power a bit, or just adjust it to a steady 120?

4. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

The PT gets fairly hot after an hour. It would be pretty uncomfortabel to put my hand around it for much longer than 15 seconds. Is this still acceptable?
    My outlets are putting out about 123V.
    marshman, I looked around 18watt and couldn't find what you are referring to.
    Any help would be most appreciated.

5. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

6. RussBert

RussBert Tele-Holic

Get a small clip-on fan and clip it to the back of the amp. It will help your amp stay cool and last for another 50+ years.

Also use a NOS rectifier tube. DO NOT use a Sovtek, as they put out more voltage than a NOS unit

7. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

Agree with Scott that if it's not too hot to touch, there is no problem. I'd only be concerned if it was so hot you couldn't touch it.

Having said that, if it really bugs you, you can build a voltage reducer as noted. I use the K6UUG one found here. The nice thing is there are two outlets - one will drop about 12 volts and one will drop about 6.

http://bama.sbc.edu/voltagereducer.htm

I have a ton of vintage radios and amps and I run most of em off the line voltage. I do have some pieces that really like lower voltage so I use the reducer on them. But by and large, you are absolutely ok to run your amp on your AC line.

I've been resisting the temptation to take on the "they were designed for X volts and today's voltage is higher" argument. Plenty of evidence out there suggests otherwise. I'll leave it at that.

-Kevin

8. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for your help. Sounds like I'm worrying over nothing. At some point, I may build one of the boxes anyway. They look pretty easy/inexpensive.
    The tech who worked on the amp said he could build a voltage regulator but it would cost $500 :lol:
    Crawfish, if you have more information regarding whether higher AC voltages have an actual effect on vintage equipment, I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
    Thanks again!

9. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

Do you have any pics of your amp you can post?? Which rectifier does it have?

I have a 55' as well and it gets hot...hotter than later Fenders as you said but it hasn't seemed to be a problem so far (and there was a period of time in which it was my weekly 'jam amp' and was cranked for many hours of use).

[​IMG]

10. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    It's running with a 5U4GB Rectifier. It's a late '55 and I'm pretty sure it's actually a 5E9-A instead of a 5E9 like the tube chart says since it uses the 5U4 and is in the Pro-sized cab.
    I'm going to take it to practice this weekend (usually about 2 hrs) and see how it does.

11. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

Nice!!:D

12. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

A Variac will work.Thats what Cream used when they came to the USA with European Amps but had to plug into USA current.Lots of guitarists like Rusty Anderson(Paul McCartney) use them to make the amp drive more but stress the amp components less.It is very popular in Hollywood Circles with studio musicans. Heck Pearl Jam uses them live.

13. Columbus

Columbus Tele-Meister

Yeah these are GREAT amps. Looks like yours is pretty clean too. :D
    One of the most interesting things about this amp is how the "mic" volume basically functions as a bass control when you're plugged into the "instrument" channel.
    So bizarre, but so cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.