tweed super 2x10 speaker solution required

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The correct answer is a pair of Weber 10A125's. I put those into a 1960 Super replacing a pair of Emi Blue Frame 1028's and it was unreal how incredible the amp sounded after that! Chime, volume, warmth, bass that isn't flubby!

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
The headroom of a tweed super can be increased by using a grid stopper resistor before the phase inverter. Did you consider this?

You might also consider p10qs instead of p10rs.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
Another vote for the 10A125s. But, FWIW, I had a set of Eminence alnico blue frames new in the box that I'd bought in 1990 to put in a brown Super. They never made it out of their boxes and into the 6G4. After they'd been stashed for about 20 years I put them in my 5F4 Suoer clone and they sing. If you can find a set (they were OEM in the original tweed Bassman reissues) check them out.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Another vote for the 10A125s. But, FWIW, I had a set of Eminence alnico blue frames new in the box that I'd bought in 1990 to put in a brown Super. They never made it out of their boxes and into the 6G4. After they'd been stashed for about 20 years I put them in my 5F4 Suoer clone and they sing. If you can find a set (they were OEM in the original tweed Bassman reissues) check them out.

Those blue frames are what I pulled out of my Super and replaced them with the 10A125's. The Webers sounded better in absolutely every way. I had wondered why everyone fusses over how great the brown Super is and it wasn't until I swapped the speakers that it came alive.

milocj

Friend of Leo's
Those blue frames are what I pulled out of my Super and replaced them with the 10A125's. The Webers sounded better in absolutely every way. I had wondered why everyone fusses over how great the brown Super is and it wasn't until I swapped the speakers that it came alive.
I have a '62 brown Super that came with a pair of the reissue Jensen P10R and I really liked it. Then I happened upon a pair of Weber 10A125s and popped those into it. I stopped doing any speaker swaps in it after that even though I have a bunch of 10s laying around. It just sounds great.

My first year Vibro King has the Eminence blue alnico speakers in it (three of them) and I don't feel any desire to try swaps in that amp, either.

nedorama

Tele-Holic
If you're looking at a Celestion Gold 10, look at the Kendrick Black Frame 10. Great speaker and a great upgrade to my Princeton Reverb. Louder and more authentic than the stuff the Italian company that bought the Jensen name is producing.

I'd also look at what WGS has.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire

Funny thing, I replaced a set of Jensens (P10R and C10R) in my '63 VVRI with a set of Weber P10Q's (reconed from Weber and listed as 10A125's on the invoice)... I don't really care for them. They're almost too much... Too punchy, too loud.... I will admit that I don't think I have given them enough time to break in yet (The amp's been sitting a while and needs some internal attention). I haven't made a final decision, but so far, I am not really convinced.

I like a lot of the modern Jensen vintage Fender style speakers, after they've been well broken in. But, they aren't great at higher power or higher gain settings. I replaced two of the Jensens in my Bassman, with two Eminence 1028s and I am super happy with the sound from that amp! I've used them in other amps over the years and always been happy with them.

Understand, I am not disagreeing with you, nor am I discounting your opinion in the least. It's just funny that we each hear a differently, and want different things in our tone.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
Whatever, the blue frames are worth checking out for anyone interested. Everyone has their preferences. The old initial run blue frames are to die for, maybe the ones you had are later production, etc. It's really great that we have the variety of speakers to choose from today. Weber is generally my first choice in speakers, particulary for vintage amps. They've done some great recones for me as well.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Not speaker related, on the amp getting ugly when turned up. I do not know which tweed circuit used but a high value resistor, 470k, at the grid of the cathodyne (splitter section) is a common mode to make this kind of splitter more friendly when cranked. If not a 1.5k on the grids of the 6L6's and 470 ohms on the screens is a good thing when cranked. I would do them all but minimum the 470k on the splitter.