tweed super 2x10 speaker solution required

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
Hi, I'm running two reissue Jensen P10r's in a tweed super clone. My problem is they are too quiet at 94 db sensitivity approximately. I am looking for tweed cleans and hair around the note style late 50's early 60's almost clean for which the super does perfectly between 6 and 8 on the volume pot. But, gigging with an unmic'd backline for a busy/loud dancefloor type gig as I have to do fairly regularly the amp has to run at that 9 - 10 mark to keep up and then it's a very pleasant but unwanted overdriven sound which doesnt help me with low string twang and clear chords etc.

So what is out there around 98 db that would work as a pair? Or, what speaker mismatches would work? Could I run 1 p10r with a much more efficient speaker for a good combination and does anyone have experience of trying things like an emi 1058 and a p10r or a celestion gold g10 with a p10r etc? Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Jensen Jet series are around 97dB, and they sound really good too, which is nice.
Do you use an amp stand?, a stand that raises the amp 2' horizontally off the floor will project and be heard better than one flat on the ground or on a tilt-back. A couple of beer/milk crates stacked are ieald, plus you get a cable/gig bag storage solution along with it. Wn/win.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Eminence Legend Alnico 1035. Or the blue frame 1028s which are available to order with the paper voicecoil former. 98db..

Tyres also the me GA10 SC59 alnico tophat line. 100db. I haven't tried these personally but I have the SC64 GA10 on my Superchamp and it's great.

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
The Jensen Jet series are around 97dB, and they sound really good too, which is nice.
Do you use an amp stand?, a stand that raises the amp 2' horizontally off the floor will project and be heard better than one flat on the ground or on a tilt-back. A couple of beer/milk crates stacked are ieald, plus you get a cable/gig bag storage solution along with it. Wn/win.

I've always raise the amp ( beer crate height usually or raise it only a few inches but tip it back so its projecting out over the front row depending on how much space on stage there is. I will look into the Jensen Jet series, thanks for the tip. Do they still have twang potential? I have gone with high powered speakers for a tweed pro I used to have and the eminence legend 15 was good but needed to be really ran loud to sound good otherwise it was stiff (and at 102db loud was very loud!) and then a weber chicago 15 which was just plain awful. An expensive mistake!

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
Eminence Legend Alnico 1035. Or the blue frame 1028s which are available to order with the paper voicecoil former. 98db..

Tyres also the me GA10 SC59 alnico tophat line. 100db. I haven't tried these personally but I have the SC64 GA10 on my Superchamp and it's great.
I didnt know about the 1035s! great tip, thanks! I've been reading about the ga10sc59 but the price put me off. They would have to be great rather than a gamble. Is the sc64 quite loud? I had considered one of them and a Jensen p10r...

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
I didnt know about the 1035s! great tip, thanks! I've been reading about the ga10sc59 but the price put me off. They would have to be great rather than a gamble. Is the sc64 quite loud? I had considered one of them and a Jensen p10r...

Rated at 98.2db

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Here's the Superchamp up against drums, 800 watt Mark bass and 50 watt Katana. I think I had a Tubedriver model on my effects board with gain and master both around midday.

It's similar loudness to a Deluxe Reverb because that's why the output section is.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Hi, I'm running two reissue Jensen P10r's in a tweed super clone. My problem is they are too quiet at 94 db sensitivity approximately. I am looking for tweed cleans and hair around the note style late 50's early 60's almost clean for which the super does perfectly between 6 and 8 on the volume pot. But, gigging with an unmic'd backline for a busy/loud dancefloor type gig as I have to do fairly regularly the amp has to run at that 9 - 10 mark to keep up and then it's a very pleasant but unwanted overdriven sound which doesnt help me with low string twang and clear chords etc.

So what is out there around 98 db that would work as a pair? Or, what speaker mismatches would work? Could I run 1 p10r with a much more efficient speaker for a good combination and does anyone have experience of trying things like an emi 1058 and a p10r or a celestion gold g10 with a p10r etc? Thanks a lot guys!

The last time I looked into it, most tweed Super builders offered Weber 10A125 speakers as the default choice. Weber doesn't give SPL specs, but those speakers should be clean and reproduce accurately at higher volume compared to your Jensen's.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
10" Tornado 100 sensitivity is 97db and sound great especially with Fenders and it is very light.

10" Gold is great but for american sound the Tornado is better.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Depends on if you live with a speaker that will stay cleaner at that volume. If you can, I would recommend something like two Weber 10F150t's, or 10F150's. 50 watt, no dope or light dope. The amp will be 'Super' loud!
The Emi 1058 is not too far off either.

I love the GA SC-64-10 tone. They arent quite as loud as the two I mention, but may get you there. They are limited wattage though.
If any of those sets dont get you there, consider adding an MXR Micro Amp, set at 12-1 oclock.

Much different speakers than the P10R though.

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
Celestion Golds
golds are amazing, I have a 12 in my deluxe reverb and its wonderful. but, it doesn't have that mid scoop, twang and top end chime of Jensen style speakers. I would be tempted to go for 1 gold and 1 other speaker if I thought it would work. I worry the pushed mids in a tweed would neutralise the lovely top end a tweed is capable of (cliff gallup with gene Vincent us what I have in mind ( I use a duojet with dynasonics as well as a tele with this amp).

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Much appreciated and very helpful. The tdpri always hits the mark! Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences of using 2 different speakers in a 2x10 set up, particularly with mismatched sensitivity?

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
Here's the Superchamp up against drums, 800 watt Mark bass and 50 watt Katana. I think I had a Tubedriver model on my effects board with gain and master both around midday.

It's similar loudness to a Deluxe Reverb because that's why the output section is.

that's really keeping up volume wise! I didnt realise it had a DR's power there. Nice one!

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Much appreciated and very helpful. The tdpri always hits the mark! Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences of using 2 different speakers in a 2x10 set up, particularly with mismatched sensitivity?

This is where every player's experience is going to differ a lot. Mixing different speakers can be a 'voila!' moment for some. Others? 'Not so much'. It's a hit-and-miss crapshoot for the most part and entirely subjective. So, I can't help on that aspect. However, on the differing sensitivities, it is generally advisable to pair 2 different speakers having ratings no greater than about 2db. Above 3db or more, the more efficient speaker will overpower the lesser one. 1db or even equal (0db diff) should allow both speakers to be heard reasonably well I'd imagine.

HTH / Good luck.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
golds are amazing, I have a 12 in my deluxe reverb and its wonderful. but, it doesn't have that mid scoop, twang and top end chime of Jensen style speakers. I would be tempted to go for 1 gold and 1 other speaker if I thought it would work. I worry the pushed mids in a tweed would neutralise the lovely top end a tweed is capable of (cliff gallup with gene Vincent us what I have in mind ( I use a duojet with dynasonics as well as a tele with this amp).

My Duojet has TV Jones Dynas, and is probably too mid-focussed to work well with a tweed amp to get that Cliff Gallup sparkle. That said, my Tweed Super was the least "tweedy" tweed amp I've owned.
P1120536.JPG

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
The last time I looked into it, most tweed Super builders offered Weber 10A125 speakers as the default choice. Weber doesn't give SPL specs, but those speakers should be clean and reproduce accurately at higher volume compared to your Jensen's.
(Sorry to sound all nay saying and ungrateful for the advice), iI know the 10a125s well, beautiful speakers. Kinda similar volume levels to the p10r. A shade louder but not so much. If I had the budget I would go 2x 10a150 or 10a150 & 10f150 50W but times are tough in current climes. So I'm considering my options whi h leads me here to you guys!)

sirduncalot

TDPRI Member
My Duojet has TV Jones Dynas, and is probably too mid-focussed to work well with a tweed amp to get that Cliff Gallup sparkle. That said, my Tweed Super was the least "tweedy" tweed amp I've owned. View attachment 943832
that is a beautiful guitar. I think I have just formed an unhealthy fascination with it!🙂 Anyway, moving on, (!) I do wonder if it was actually a standell gallup used in which case am I screwed using a tweed.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
(Sorry to sound all nay saying and ungrateful for the advice), iI know the 10a125s well, beautiful speakers. Kinda similar volume levels to the p10r. A shade louder but not so much. If I had the budget I would go 2x 10a150 or 10a150 & 10f150 50W but times are tough in current climes. So I'm considering my options whi h leads me here to you guys!)
The alnico 10A150 is a very warm sounding speaker , keep that in mind.
The Emi 1058 is a robust loud speaker on a budget. There are other budget ceramics that Emi has also... Swamp Thing?