1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweed Princeton Reverb build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

A good job well done, sir.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  2. CrashandBurn

CrashandBurn TDPRI Member

Beautiful

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  3. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Congratulations that's a beautiful build. I keep looking at the pictures documenting the build. I have an old tweed Pro Junior that needs shellac the tweed is naked the shellac finish looks better and richer in colour. I also like the the front panel on your new build for me it's better than having the controls on top.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  4. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

That is SWEET!

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Princeton Reverbs are the BOMB. Love 'em! Speaking of the sonics of a PR versus a tweed... my favorite tweed of the three I've built is a 5f4 Super with vintage 5881s. Sounds starting to approach some of those more refined cleans that one finds in a PR and in other amps. But the only thing that's a Princeton Reverb is a Princeton Reverb (and of course, the Mesa Boogie amps!).

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  6. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

wow, this is really making me wish i had one, even a silverface like my old one. yep, if I had to have one and only one amp it would probably be a princeton reverb.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Played it today with the NFB disconnected. Again, surprised at how little difference it makes until you get past 5-6 on the volume. The C-Rex sounds great. I have a 1258 that I started with, but it could get spiky bright on the treble. Maybe not broken in enough. The Rex came off a little dark on the immediate swap, but it solved the harsh top end and made the treble knob more forgiving. Although, I have decided that my threshold of treble is usually lower than most players I know.

What really gets me though is how TIGHT the overdrive is. Compared to my 5f11 it's a really big difference. Four 22uf caps vs three 16uf caps? I separated the preamp on my board I built, and the damn thing is super quiet. Shielding tape inside the cab. Even with the NFB disconnected today, no added noise that would ever be a concern. MOD reverb tank. Of all I've built, THIS may be my favorite. The cleans, the overdrive, the reverb...all in one package for me I think!

And an Instagram shot with a filter.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robrob, FRANKENJAG, aerhed and 3 others like this.
  8. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Looks great.

9. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After years of smugly assuming I wouldn't want for more, after I got the Black Deeeluxe, you've got me wondering if a Tweed PR might just make me a little more happy.
    How much happiness can I withstand?
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

John How likes this.
  10. jsnwhite619

After being in the room with enough cranked Deluxe Reverbs, I know that it's louder than I want or need these days. I always assumed the LTP P.I. was the key to that sound, but I guess the tone stack does more work than I realized for just 2 knobs.

I've never even played one before this one, so I don't know how much difference the transformers and speaker make, but the rest of the circuit is stock. The PT is a 100mA Hammond, the OT is their 15 watt suggested for a 5e3 or PR.

11. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

Fabulous stuff! Sooo rewarding when you get to the end, listen and look at it and think......pretty good if I do say so myself!!

12. jsnwhite619

Started another thread for it, but I got my generic footswitch sorted out. It was completely wired wrong and poorly, but it looks good and I redid it all inside. No hum or pop with it.

I tried running a NFB switch at the ground switch hole, and when it turned off, I got noise from everything. I moved wires, reflowed joints, worked on it over an hour, and I never could get rid of a thumping oscillation that came on every time the NFB switch was turned to the OFF position. Maybe the extra wire turned into an antennae? So, I decided to move it to the ext. speaker jack - loose the jack but get the NFB option. Turns out, after I removed the ground switch NFB I realized that I had a loose joint on the Intensity pot. I don't know if that was it, but I don't think that was all of it. Moving stuff around would temporarily help but it always would return every time. I don't have a switch that fits, but I have bias pots. I think I'm going to run the NFB through a 10k bias pot. That way he can tune into what he wants and have an option, and 10k added to this ought to be pretty noticeable.

BTW...a note on working late. My left pinky tripped the GFCI outlet when it dragged across the 120v main switch when I forgot to unplug it during troubleshooting. Then hit the undrained preamp filter cap - amp off - when I found the loose pot connection. So, be careful out there!

robrob and Snfoilhat like this.
  13. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

You may wish to experiment with some values here. I might recommend a 10k resistor in series with a 50-100k potentiometer on the 8ohm tap. The resistor in series will prevent 100% nfb.

If using this location for anything other than standby... shielded cable (rg174)is pretty mandatory.

That Amp is Gorgeous!!! Well done. I would prefer that over black tolex any day!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  14. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Gosh I love your cabs!!!!!! I can't wait to get my 5E3 done. Hoping to get the cab built his weekend (my first attempt failed......router bit dropped during my dovetails.)

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  15. jsnwhite619

Found a mini- switch in a drawer and used it. Left the stock on the board, so it goes stock, OFF, and a 5.6k added before the 2.7k for 8.3k as I middle ground.

D'tar likes this.
  16. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

OOps. I wasn't thinking in my earlier post. Not paying attention to the circuit. lol.. the 10k pot you were speaking of in series with the stock r value would work.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  17. jsnwhite619

Yeah, but I'm glad you said it because the switch is what I was after, so I'm glad I spent a few minutes and found one that fit. There is a noticeable volume change between all three with the iPod plugged in.

D'tar likes this.
  18. jsnwhite619

After some time with the 3 way switch, the NFB makes a bigger difference than I realized. Nothing like a switch to compare mods. I had it disconnected for several days and got used to that. Going back to stock is much quieter and darker. The 8k setting is closer to OFF than stock, for sure. Both are noticeably brighter and louder, better with the C Rex. Stock was much better with the Legend.

Having the switch really let's you get honest comparisons. I would definitely suggest cutting the NFB for anyone who just wishes their PR had a "little bit more.". The headroom isn't that much different until past 5-6, but the volume is higher across the dial.

19. jsnwhite619

Almost forgot my finishing touch - ordered some braided cable and wired up the vintage style reverb wire.[​IMG][​IMG]

robrob likes this.
  20. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

Sounds and looks great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.