Tweed Princeton... but louder?

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
I have a tweed princeton clone with alnico weber 10" in it. I love the tone of it but want a little more power to get that tone and it keep up with heavy handed drummer. I am looking at a tweed super or bandmaster, am I on the right track or what do you guys suggest? Thanks.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a tweed princeton clone with alnico weber 10" in it. I love the tone of it but want a little more power to get that tone and it keep up with heavy handed drummer. I am looking at a tweed super or bandmaster, am I on the right track or what do you guys suggest? Thanks.
So you are talking about a single 6V6 amp?

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
A tweed Princeton is a single-ended amp, and really no high powered amp will sound exactly like it.
You could build a Princeton with something like 4x6V6s in parallell single-ended configuration, or get one of those devices that steps up the power.

I can imagine a tweed Deluxe being one of the closer tweed amps soundwise.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
So you are talking about a single 6V6 amp?
I am not so much concerned with it being perfectly a high powered princeton per say, I am more interested in what amp will give the most similar flavor with more wattage.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Consider buying a D-class module amp card. A 50W might cost $30...50 but on sale such could be only half? In asia they cost less than $10. Outdated laptop power supplys can power them and for higher power two PS needs to be connected parallel. Flea markets should sell them few $ but people who think that could be needed some day store them and I belong to those people.

Then find a cabinet and screw components inside. If you mic the Princeton perhaps a booster pedal is needed to amplify the mic. Possibly there are active mics which produce higher output.

I use Bluetooth Stereo module Amp to break in guitar speakers and often listen vintage music while doing it.

Last edited:

ISmellSmoke

TDPRI Member
If you're looking to buy \build another amp anyway, what about buying \building another 1 (or 2, or 3...) Tweed Princeton (s) and daisy chain them together..?

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
If you're looking to buy \build another amp anyway, what about buying \building another 1 (or 2, or 3...) Tweed Princeton (s) and daisy chain them together..?
Would that actually provide more clean headroom like a 30 watter would?

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The problem, as mentioned above.... is you have a single ended amp. You can go bigger tweed but if not SE it will be different sounding.
Even going to a BF/SF type Princeton will give you a lot more headroom... enough? Hard to say.
If you are almost there with headroom, try an MXR micro amp. But yeah, that amp isn't going to keep up with a drummer, much less a loud drummer.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I am not so much concerned with it being perfectly a high powered princeton per say, I am more interested in what amp will give the most similar flavor with more wattage.
Just asking as some people like the sound of a single ended amp as compared to a push-pull circuit. 2L man would have you reamp the sound you have with an extra speaker. Or if you are going that direction then there is taking the output of the Princeton, reducing the signal level (with the proper load for the Princeton) and feeding it into a Class D amp and driving the current speaker. Depending on the laptop supply one may only be needed. I have 19.5 volt ones which are rated for 3.3 amp, roughly good for 60W to supply to the amp module. That is if the current speaker can take an increase in wattage.

Well, since the single ended Princeton only puts out 6W then you have double the power for an extra 3 dB, if you run the amps close to each other so the speakers couple together acoustically, which gives you an extra 3 dB, so effectively 12W + (dual speaker 3 dB equivalent to 12W) = 24W, pretty close.

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
I’d go with a Fender ‘57 Custom Twin Amp. It’s the low watt Tweed Twin. 40 watts 2x12”
'57 Custom Twin-Amp™ | Guitar Amplifiers
083252B5-14AA-4D8C-A4A6-E294B3DD32EA.jpeg

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
if you want the closest sound (single ended tweed circuit) see if you can find a higher wattage tweed princeton or champ - just go searching for some arbitrary number like 10 watts, 20 watts, etc.

there are two ways to do it - either running multiple 6V6s in parallel, or using something like a KT88 (6L6 or KT66 probably will only give you 10 watts, still buried by a loud drummer).

so i reckon there should be smaller builders who already make either of these, they're not super obscure ideas. i know that weber makes higher power champ kits ("maggie," "lauren").

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

A tweed Princeton is a single-ended amp, and really no high powered amp will sound exactly like it.
You could build a Princeton with something like 4x6V6s in parallell single-ended configuration, or get one of those devices that steps up the power.

I can imagine a tweed Deluxe being one of the closer tweed amps soundwise.

How's about a Fender '57 Custom Deluxe reissue. I use one live and it's loud enough with a drummer. If the Deluxe is still not loud enough, and you keep your Princeton, you can always daisy chain the Deluxe and Princeton together. Similar to how they did with the full stack Marshalls and Hiwatts on stages in the '60s and '70s.
Fndr57Dlx.jpg

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Bringing another Champ to stage increase volume only 3db and using four Champs only 6db! More powerful Champ circuit don't sound too Champ anymore.

Micing and amplifying the Champ is easiest and lot cheaper when done using a D - class module card amp and possibly a full range HiFi loudspeaker. Full range "cone" speakers for small PA use should be available highly discounted soon when newer models come. Second hand even cheaper as I have understood HiFi people upgrade their gear regularly :) Obviously they are not as roadable as instrument speskers but when you know it you can handle it softly.

Last edited:

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted

If you are going for clean sounds, the actual topology of the amp is of less concern IMO. The preamp in a tweed Princeton is nothing special at all, almost any amp with two gainstages will do that sound. People usually like these for overdriving the SE output stage at relatively low volume.
Maybe browse Youtube to see how the different bigger tweeds sound?

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
If you are going for clean sounds, the actual topology of the amp is of less concern IMO. The preamp in a tweed Princeton is nothing special at all, almost any amp with two gainstages will do that sound. People usually like these for overdriving the SE output stage at relatively low volume.
Maybe browse Youtube to see how the different bigger tweeds sound?
Yeah I like a tweed to live on 8-9 which is the edge of breakup point with my guitars. I have listened to several and while I understand the single ended aspect does something different I still find that all tweeds share some characteristics in the EQ of them and the sizzle they have and touch sensitivity. That is more about what I am after.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Yeah I like a tweed to live on 8-9 which is the edge of breakup point with my guitars. I have listened to several and while I understand the single ended aspect does something different I still find that all tweeds share some characteristics in the EQ of them and the sizzle they have and touch sensitivity. That is more about what I am after.
The Tweed Deluxe is so popular for a reason - it does just what you described at volume-levels that suit many players ;)
If it's loud enough for your needs, can be adjusted with the type of speaker you use.
Say, you can use an AlNiCo-speaker (mostly around 94/95 db efficiency) for a "period-correct" sound, but you can also use a stouter speaker (like, 100 db efficiency) for a MUCH louder sound.
I´d add one of those to your staple, and possibly run it alongside your Princeton in cases you need even "more" 👍

cheers - 68.

3-tweed-deluxe6oj6o.jpg

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Bringing another Champ to stage increase volume only 3db and using four Champs only 6db! More powerful Champ circuit don't sound too Champ anymore.

Micing and amplifying the Champ is easiest and lot cheaper when done using a D - class module card amp and possibly a full range HiFi loudspeaker. Full range "cone" speakers for small PA use should be available highly discounted soon when newer models come. Second hand even cheaper as I have understood HiFi people upgrade their gear regularly :) Obviously they are not as roadable as instrument speskers but when you know it you can handle it softly.
Actually another 3 dB due to acoustic coupling of the speakers. I did tests to confirm the effect and posted it here years ago.

But back to a louder 5F2. I would go with a Harvard, the push pull one and not the single ended one.