1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweed Princeton 5F2-A Overdive

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rekosz, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Rekosz

Rekosz TDPRI Member

Hey,

I got myself great Tweed Princeton clone with 10" G10C/S - 75 inside a while ago, great amp, sweet cleans, super responsive to the touch BUT I cannot get it to overdive naturally, ever. I play telecaster with classic vintage output Callahan Pickups. Even when I dial it to the max and hit strings hard its still super clean and SOOOO LOUD. Why is that? Is it because this amp architecture doesnt allow it to overdrive and naturally its super clean amp (I dont think so, I never played vintage one but saw a few videos and they were able to overdrive it quite nicely)? Or maybe speaker is too efficent? I was wondering if putting Jensen P10R-F inside would help with that?

2. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Try a less efficient speaker.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

yeah, or just get a decent pedal. A Klon type is designed to push an amp like that into overdrive but there are lots of other flavors, depending on your taste in mid-humps & compression.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What is in their v1 preamp...anything lower than a 12ax7?

5. Rekosz

Rekosz TDPRI Member

nope, standard tung sol 12ax7

uriah1 likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Might be time to check some amp voltages, if you're comfortable with that.

7. Rekosz

Rekosz TDPRI Member

hmm I know nothing about that stuff so I'll pass :D but could you say a little bit more about that? how would that affect sound?

8. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

I was in similar situation position last wkend. I got a reissue Fender '57 Custom Deluxe. The previous owner put in a master volume on it, so I thought I could crank it up at night. No luck. Tried a few things, but none helped. I know the quick fix is to put a pedal in front of it, but I wanted no pedals involved, so back it went.

Good luck!

9. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Post a gut shot. A 5f2a should start to break up around 5-6 on the knob.

Watto likes this.
  10. corliss1

@Rekosz - also, welcome to the forum :D

Since the amp is a clone, there could be any number of modifications made. Taking voltage readings and comparing the parts to the original layout/schematic would be the only way to know for sure what is happening with that amp, especially if it is not working as intended.

Posting some photos may help as well, but you should only open the amp if you're aware of the dangers of high voltage.

Watto likes this.
  11. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

A gut shot would tell us quickly whether or not the circuit is built to original specs. It could be something as simple as a missing bypass cap on v1 that is causing the lower gain.

Watto likes this.
  12. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

That doesnt sound right. I have an original and it breaks up easily..... about 4-5 on the amp's volume

13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I used to have an old tweed Princeton. It did get crunchy pretty quickly. It must have a different circuit.

14. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

my thought as well

15. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Just trade with someone who wishes their 5F2A clone was louder and cleaner! ;)

dan40 and corliss1 like this.
  16. Rekosz

Rekosz TDPRI Member

here are the photos

Attached Files:

17. corliss1

Well, so much for that bypass cap theory.................as that is in place

dan40 likes this.
  18. Rekosz

Rekosz TDPRI Member

so it looks allright? Maybe its that speaker? its super efficent compared to Jensen P10R, could it be it?

19. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I would check all of the resister values to make sure they are correct. You can use the color codes printed on the resistors, then compare them to the layout values. Kingfan has a thread over at the Shockbrothers section on 5F2A layout. This will be a little different then the Fender layout but the resister values should correspond.

20. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Have you tried a different 12ax7 in there? Might just be a weak tube. Other than that, like others have said verify the resistor values. I'd start with the V1 plate resistors, those have a big impact on how the preamp will behave. If you want earlier grit, maybe replace those with 120k or 150k values? That will change the way the amp behaves with preamp distortion vs power amp distortion, but it will cause earlier breakup. Also, be sure the NFB resistor is correct as well- that changes early breakup and noise floor. You could swap that for a 47k to give less NFB and force it to break up earlier as well. I have a 6aq5 based 5f2a I'm using 120k's in to keep the amp 'bedroom level' friendly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.