Tweed Harvard with 2x6" speakers? Yay or nay?

Ronno25

Tele-Meister
Howdy.

I have a Tweed Harvard Clone that I built into a head a cab. I got to thinking I would throw in a pair of 8" speakers for use when I don't have an external cab around to plug into. I now realize the head cab I built is too small to accommodate 8" speakers because it's short by about half an inch. Now I'm thinking about 6" speakers.

I'm wondering if it will sound any good like this or if it's just a waste of energy and money. Thoughts? Any recommendations on a pair of 6" speakers that would sound good and be able to handle the 15 or so watts coming out of the Harvard?

Another thought would be to put a 6"x9" speaker in. Experience with these?

1c96f239-7a6a-46f9-b22b-30010fa1fc68.jpg
38b577dc-db19-462a-936a-c21b3bbc2e58.jpg

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Would the 8's fit if you angled the baffle? Otherwise it depends on the speaker. I built a 8" into a tabletop radio and built an enclosure around it. After I got it up and running I found the speaker had a high enough 'Q', which is the output at resonance (sort of), that it put out enough bass to make up the cancellation of the rear radiation on the front radiation. So it is a 'it depends'. As long as the speakers do not fart out or you cook them with too much power then your eq can make up for too much bass or not enough.

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm not usually a fan of the 6x9s. You could try two 6's and see if you like the sound, but the only way to know will be to test it out.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Stuff a couple of Weber 6" speakers in it (maybe pair an alnico with a ceramic), but they are 4 ohm each, so parallel = 8 ohm.

etype

Tele-Afflicted
Do it. Because it then becomes a head that is also a combo. And because it might give you a sound you never expected (in a good way). And because you can and we all want to know how it turns out. And because it is easily undone, my favorite type of mod!

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Howdy.

I have a Tweed Harvard Clone that I built into a head a cab. I got to thinking I would throw in a pair of 8" speakers for use when I don't have an external cab around to plug into. I now realize the head cab I built is too small to accommodate 8" speakers because it's short by about half an inch. Now I'm thinking about 6" speakers.

I'm wondering if it will sound any good like this or if it's just a waste of energy and money. Thoughts? Any recommendations on a pair of 6" speakers that would sound good and be able to handle the 15 or so watts coming out of the Harvard?

Another thought would be to put a 6"x9" speaker in. Experience with these?

View attachment 938755 View attachment 938756
if you can't get it in..maybe build a box for a ten inch or 2?

Ronno25

Tele-Meister
You’re obviously geared up to make a beautiful cabinet. Why not build another that will fit the speaker configuration you like?
I already have a 1x15 JBL D130f cab that I'll use the amp with. Just thought it would be fun to have some little speakers in the head in case I want to use it on the go.

I may play the amp through an 8" I have laying around just to see if it sounds any good at all through a little speaker before going ahead with a 2x6".

Anyone out there have specific experience with 6" speakers with this type of amp?

I may just go ahead and order some 6's. I'll definitely update this thread with how they sound if I do.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Is there enough room for 8s if you mount one speaker on the baffle and make 3 or 4 1"x1" spacers/blocks which would allow the other speaker to overhang/overlap the frame of the 1st one? Make any sense?

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I have two different cabs with dual 6.5" speakers. Both cabs are Eminence. One the Alpha and one the Hemp. Two very different sounds using a Tubemeister to drive them. The Alpha does spanky cleans real nice, and the Hemp really likes an overdrive pedal. FYI - The Alphas will not "Fart Out"

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
This is such a cool idea, and I can't wait to see and hear how it comes out! Weber makes an alnico 6X9 that would probably be sweet if you want to go that route, otherwise I bet a pair of their Sig 6s, maybe one alnico, one ceramic would be great. I had the Weber Sig 6" alnico in a Champion 600 some years back and it sounded pretty sweet.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
I've posted about these 6.5" Emi speakers at least twice before (apologies for the redundancy folks), but for the OP..

I bought mine from Parts Express as a Clearance/Buy Out type deal ($13 each at the time).
They have a rather conventional / straightforward sound owing to paper cone, relatively big ceramic magnet, etc. -- unlike the hemp counterpart (620h) of the same size -- but are pretty similar to the 620h in most respects otherwise.

Note: I'm including the link above to show that they are still available somewhere (Parts Express has long since sold out of them). I also recommend scanning through the Parts Express reviews on this little speaker. These have quite the punch for a modest sized speaker. Specs are something like: 94-95db, 20w, freq. 95-6000hz, 4ohms, IIRC.
For rock/contemporary type guitar, they should work pretty well. I put a pair in a sealed back+ported box. And they are loud and sound tight. Like them a lot.

Cool project. Good luck with however you proceed.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I think why we hear proportionally less lows using a smaller speaker is because smaller speaker is usually used in smaller open back cabin and the rear outputted low frequency sound wave acoustically cancels front produced sound wave.

When small speaker is in closed cabin it mostly is quieter thru whole spectrum.

wrathfuldeity

Tele-Afflicted
You could front load one and back load the other spkr. Mixing an alnico and ceramic is the cats meow. Depending on the spkrs, have a couple 4" that sound good, an old 6" rola that is great, a couple of weber signatures 8 which are good. Also an old alnico Jensen 6x9 in a Muchxs champ that is stupidly fantastic, loud, warm and holds together clean or pushed.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I'm curious to see what you decide to do. I just finished a frankenstein 5F10. Surprising to me, It sounds really cool through a single Jensen Mod 6 in a small cab, in a small room. It sounds good "bigger" through a Weber 12A125, or a 12" Celestion too but the 6" just has a nice tight spanky flavor to it and it doesn't mind being pushed. Makes me curious about a 2X6" configuration.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 15

Ronno25

Tele-Meister
Cool to see everyone's excitement about this! I plugged the 5F10 into a 8" I had sitting around and (to me) it sounded pretty terrible: no low end, and no cool breakup like you would get from a champ either.

Re: 8" speakers. I can't fit them due to the height of the cab, not to mention the width as well. Very creative ideas that could have worked to fit both 8's given by you guys though!

I hate to disappoint, especially after all the excitement here but I'm probably going to abort putting speakers in the cab. I would try it if I had some laying around but to buy them for this assuming they're going to sound terrible seems like a waste to me! If I found some super cheap I would give it a go!