1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweed Deluxe & Weber 12F150B considerations

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by derekirving, Sep 10, 2020.

1. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I have a Lil Dawg D-Lux with a Weber 12A125A speaker. I'm not 100% sold on the speaker, I've been using it for over 1 year but it's a bit narrow sounding, hollow at times, could use a tad more headroom in the speaker and a bit more upper chime/presence. Trying not to change amps (if possible)

I'm considering a Weber 12F150B (w/british cone) to resolve my issue.

I play rockabilly/rock n roll inspired by the 50's, I know I'm should like Alnico, the weber 12A125A, but there is just something missing with it to me for what I'm going after, need a bit more excitement from the speaker.

p.s. I also tried Vintage 30, Jensen P12Q, WGS G12 C/S

2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

So, what did you think about the other speakers that you tried? That will give you an idea of where to go from here. I used to have a Vintage 65 dlx Rev.. I strangly liked the tone with a greenback 25 the best. I had a utah that was a bit anemic. So, maybe a vintage sounding weber ceramic might sound great. I do believe that they(Weber) make a 50 watt ceramic now. Good luck.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Did you by chance reach out to weber about what you're after?

Theres too many options in 12s. Its dizzying....

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t tried the 12F150B, but I’m very familiar with the regular 12F150 and the “T” version, as well the 10” versions. I’m sure it will sound awesome in your tweed deluxe.

I recently got a Mojotone Black Beauty speaker and it kills. It’s from that same C12N family of speakers like the 12F150, but with the same cone and dustcap as a Celestion Alnico Blue and Weber Blue Dog. Essentially it’s built like the C12N/12F150, but with the British cone. Best of both worlds in that speaker, similar to the one you’re inquiring about.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

YES the three recommended by Weber were: 12F150, 12F150B and Ceramic Blue Dog

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

IMO the "narrow/hollow" is what the alnico is about.
    The 12F150 can be great in a Deluxe. They take a long time to break in though.
    The Emi GA SC64 is a superb speaker right out of the box. Full bottom end, but not overly so to my ears, balanced mid and top end. About like the 12F150 bottom. It's an old school voice coil former made of paper, so it has that "honk".. If you want less bottom end, maybe a Red White and Blues. Less character in the RWB though.
    I had an old 12F150, 50 watt, screen dust cap, no dope, built by Ted that was luscious. I never got another one like it though.

BlueCajun likes this.
  7. LongbeardAmps

LongbeardAmps TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Hi - I’m Scott from Longbeard Amps. The very first commercial amp I ever built was a 5E3 clone with a Weber Signature 12B (Lower cost version of 12F150B). Fantastic match.

The Weber 12A150B, 12F150B and Weber Signature 12B are the standard option speakers in all of my amps. Low volume sounds more Jensen, high volume more British.

The British cone combined with Jensen type magnet, etc, makes the perfect combination to find the sweet spot in my amps.

www.longbeardamps.com

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    slider313 likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It would suggest an Eminence GB128. Big firm low end, sparkling high end that does not get harsh with distortion, and a warm woody tone overall. Inexpensive as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.