Tweed Deluxe Sound on a Budget

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JADoss23, Jun 11, 2016.

1. JADoss23

JADoss23 TDPRI Member

I know this subject has been commented on frequently but looking for some more help. Really in the search for a fender tweed 5e3 sound amp, real Neil Young breakup sound with sweet cleans as well. I'm looking for something under a 1000 and open to a lot of options. Have been looking at various options with already assembled options like richter, lil dawgs, victoria as well as sourcing parts myself to assemble. Like the idea of a custom made amp by myself but realize even with the "easier" specs of the 5e3 would still be challenging. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pretty sure MuchXS could build you a dandy within your budget.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Consider getting a competent person here who has built a few to build you one. Go over to Shock Brothers DIY Amp Builders and ask.
    [Mod. edit: PM or email only, please.]
    Another option is to seek out a used 5E3 clone that someone built. They can be had for about $700 to $800 I bet. Seek out Craigslist.

See here for some options.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/5629314534.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/5570349159.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/5570349661.html

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/5579818199.html

H. Mac and moosie like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

JADoss, welcome!

Gotta love TDPRI. Brand new guy comes to the forum, and one of our very talented amp techs offers to BUILD HIM AN AMP, for the cost of parts, plus a tip.

Not too many places you'd see that, I bet.

Spectro28 and Stone_Cutter like this.
  5. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

You can't go wrong with Lil Dawg. Even if you just want advice, Jim is a fantastic source of info whether you buy from him or not. I bought my D-Lux third-hand and he's still gone out of his way to answer all my stupid questions.

6stringcowboy and Darkness like this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

My post was edited by admin.

Sorry to the sponsors here who support this page. I'm into amps purely for the love and enjoyment they bring me.
    No harm meant.

"I got a fever The only cure is more cowbell." Or vintage Fender gear actually. Lol.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Used amps built from kits often sell for around the cost of the kit, though the 5e3 is so popular that the deals don't last long or aren't actually cheap.
    Up near $1000 you should be able to find one new or used without too much trouble if you look away from the advertised boutique builders, and another option is to have someone build one in an existing (junked) cab and chassis, since that is almost half the parts cost.

You may not want a Deluxe that looks like a Bandit, but you did say budget...

8. JADoss23

JADoss23 TDPRI Member

Definitely on my short list. Already reached out to him! thanks

bparnell57 likes this.
  9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on Muchxs

I have one of his champs and it is fantastic

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I bought my awesome Richter 5E3 last year for $500 off craigslist. 2 hr drive each way was worth it.

11. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

I got a JAM Amplification pre-assembled 5E3 chassis from Reverb for $569 (including a NOS RCA 5Y3GT), and a Marc Etienne cab from Reverb for $220 + shipping, and a minty '61 Jensen P12N alnico off ebay for $160. So all up a little less than $1k. The JAM build by John Martin is a thing of beauty, top quality components skillfully assembled and no noise, just dead quiet - until you crank it up for those beautiful 5E3 tones!
    IMG_0036.JPG
    jam1.jpg
    Jam2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I got a Cox Ultimate 5e3 last year in a trade. Between he cash I got and the price I was asking for my amp, I'd say I paid around $850. Some of the best 850 smackaeroonies I've ever spent! Brain Cox was an artist who did spectacular work. He is relatively unknown and so his work doesn't garner much attention. I would wager there are a lot of other builders out there just like that.

I'd agree with most here, you can find a used custom build for under 1k. If I had the cash, I would not hesitate to go to MuchXS. Not only has he been a great asset to this forum, but I've seen images and heard soundbites of his work. There are other custom builders here who do great work as well. But, I am familiar (from afar) with MuchXS'.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

<<< My avatar is a closeup of my completed Mission 533 Kit. I got everything from Bruce at Mission for $800 a few years back, including the great lacquered tweed cabinet. I found someone on the net who made me the silk-screened aluminum badge for 20 bucks. I went into building the kit knowing next to nothing except how to solder electronics.

I would suggest building your own to anyone who has the basic skills, is careful, and has patience. I don't even know how to read a schematic but the layout and pictures provided by Bruce were enough to succeed. The result has been not only a GREAT sounding 5e3 (I gig with it regularly), but great satisfaction to to have learned so much in the process. Really, any of the suggestions you have received here are great. But I must admit that when someone asks me where I got that great sounding amp, it feels really good to reply "I built it" :)

14. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I built my Mission 5E3 for $850, and that was with an upgrade to an Emi Red Fang speaker. That was with the beautiful lacquered tweed cabinet that Chicago Matt mentioned, too.

This was few years back and I know the Red Fangs are little more now, but the Mission prices are still good, especially for what you get (the chassis alone is outstanding).

A lot of gear may come and go, but my Mission 5E3 is never going anywhere....unless I'm taking it there to play. :cool:

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. engineer

engineer Tele-Meister

Another option is to go chinese.

I know it probably breaks a lot of hearts but it's electronics from the 50s and they are really good at mass-producing in China.
    Myself, I got a champ clone for peanuts (see thread elsewhere on this forum) but the same company also makes a 5E3 clone as a head.

http://joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_242.html

Oh, and the casing is but ugly. ;)

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am waiting for the coming of a cooperative where everybody pools their individual talents and work so that no one has to pay anybody anything.....we do away with money and live in a symbiotic paradise!!!!! Eeeeeehaw....do you think that will work?

17. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

5E3 with "sweet cleans as well" doesn't really compute.... You'd need a second channel of some sort.

-tINY

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, a 5E3 can yield cleans and OD at nearly the same volume level with a simple control of the guitar's output. This can be taught and/or learned...for free. Join the CO-OP. Surely we all have enough widely varied talents that we can eliminate this antiquated system of working for money if we pool these valuable resources, right???

19. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

With that budget you have some good options.

20. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Sounds good Wally. I'm looking forward to meeting the person who builds tubes! I'll teach them how to re-tighten tube sockets if they build me hearty tubes! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.