Tweed deluxe or Princeton reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dyoungblood357, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I, too, have exactly the same amps and couldn’t have described them any better. Two completely different amps. The tweed sounds best when cranked, the PR is much more controllable and sounds better, to me, at quieter settings.
    Get ‘em both, that’s what I did to make the decision easier:D:p:cool:

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would probably go with the Princeton. I still regret selling a 1964 BlackFace Princeton (no reverb) that I had put a 12" Eminence "Jensen-type" speaker in. But I do have a question for those who say the volume control on their 5e3's go from "off" to "loud".......could a tech not change that pot to one that didn't do that? Wondering?????? ;)

3. dyoungblood357

dyoungblood357 TDPRI Member

Or… a tweed Princeton? Either way I will be building it from a mojotone kit.

Maguchi likes this.
  4. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I’ve owned many of both and still have a BFPR in my bedroom. The verb is great. I’ve also come full circle back to using a 10” spkr in it. If you like playing with verb & ambient effects, try a spkr w an alum dome as it will add mucho depth & presence.

5. dyoungblood357

dyoungblood357 TDPRI Member

I
    already have a 56 Montgomery Ward standard amp. It is very close to a tweed deluxe but a little funkier circuitry with the tone stack being before the preamp and using 6SJ7s for the preamp

Maguchi likes this.
  6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You may have answered your own question, with the near-tweed you already have, go for the PR.

7. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

I chose the Divided By 13 CJ11. While not an exact recreation of either, the CJ11 gets close and has master volume. With the mid-boost engaged, bass/treble down you're in 57 Deluxe territory. Turn off the mid-boost, bass/treble at 12, there is the mid scooped blackface Fender. I use reverb and tremolo pedals.

8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Yes, get them both! I wait until no one is home, and then I dime the 57', with a jumper in input one of the mike channel and then into input two of the instrument channel. Both volume controls set to about 9-10, tone set to 9, R9 plugged in, middle position, both volume controls balanced at about 6 or 7. My god, what a heavenly sound. It sounds like there's an effects pedal in the mix, but it's just pure, overdriven tube distortion. Saturated, unbelievable.

Back at it and Maguchi like this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I have a Lil Dawg D-Lux and a VSA Vintage 15. Both wonderful. But if I could only keep one it would be the 5e3. Great cleans and wonderful amp overdrive. I prefer not to use pedals for that.

Back at it and Maguchi like this.
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

2Amps.jpg

Dukex likes this.
  11. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Remember that the right OD can make a Princeton sound very tweedy, but making a 5E3 sound blackface would be a challenge IMO.

12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Friend of Leo's

Princeton definitely.
    While the deluxe can do cleans, the PR is better. You can dirty up cleans, you can’t clean dirty.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Basements are great but they don't always muffle the sound as much as you think. Lived in three different houses with my gear in the basement. People could always hear me outside. Even with my 6v6 Ampeg Reverberocket, 12-15 watts. Of course those things sound great cranked and if you got the house to yourself, you crank um. :)

David C likes this.
  14. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

That thing looks cool--I like my Fat Shuga boost/reverb to goose my SF Princeton, but a 3 band eq sure would be nice.

I vote Princeton, 'cuz I rock two in dual mono, but I've never played a tweed Deluxe. Kinda sounds like having a preference between delicious and awesome.

15. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

If the 5E3 Tweed Deluxe is too loud for you, get a 5F1 5 watt 8" '57 Champ reissue or clone, or a 5F11 Tweed Vibolux 10 watt 10" ($470 kit, $850 completed). These are similar to the Tweed Deluxe with awesome lower volume cleans and glorious edge of breakup to breakup at lower volumes. The Vibrolux has a great vibrato circuit. Love them Tweeds! https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Tweed-Vibrolux-Style-Amp-Kit

Tweeds.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Dukex likes this.
  16. David C

David C Tele-Meister

Yeah, I get that part about it being too loud. I'm 65 and if it's too loud, you're too old. I want to hear my amp sing when I play!

Back at it likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.