Tweed Deluxe Clone - Any info on parts and value?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Chase TM, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Hey!

I'm looking to sell a tweed deluxe amp that was built locally by an amp repair shop. It's not a kit amp, but the parts were individually sourced and were supposedly higher quality than a kit amp. I know the builder had the cab commissioned for him and the speaker as well (built to sound close to the original). Its the 5e3 circuit.

I'm looking for any information as to what parts were used, the overall quality of the parts, and what I could expect to sell it for. I know literally nothing about parts/wiring and I was hoping an expert could help

I've listed it locally for about $825 but I would take $675 (I've converted from Canadian to USD.) Am I asking a fair price? Too much or little?

Attached Files:

2. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

It looks fairly well built, carbon comp resistors, sozo coupling caps, sprague cathode bypass caps. I can’t tell what the filter caps are. The wiring and soldering looks good. Looks like electro-harmonix tubes. Check Reverb.com and eBay for recent sales, you’ll have a good idea what you can expect to get for it.

3. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Great! Thanks so much!

4. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

F&T filter caps.

Wally likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a good build, but the important stuff as far as "parts" go are probably the cab and transformers, neither of which have enough info to tell. What's the top of the transformers look like?

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Assembly looks very clean.... From what pics show. The tone is in ttge speaker, output transformer, tubes and baffle.
    Worth? No idea. I don't take commissions for any stock 5e3 ... too many stock ones spoils makes fir a spoiled market.

Nickfl likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t know what something like that is worth...whatever one can get, I suppose. I will say that the while the work looks very good, the AC wiring in could be wired in a safer manner.

D'tar likes this.
  8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

^^^Agreed^^^

And throw a nut on that transformer bolt.:)

Wally and tizianod like this.
  9. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Hi,

Thank you very much for the responses. I've posted the amp 2 days ago with 0 interest, ah well. The cabinet is solid wood (could be birch) and seems top quality to me. I'm not sure how to get at the transformer; there does not appear to be any writing on it and i do NOT feel comforable poking around and moving things.

Thanks again!

10. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Those are top shelf components.

11. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

How can I tell if the cabinet is both Finger jointed and confirm it's solid wood. Here are some pictures? Is there any way to tell without damaging the tolex?

Attached Files:

12. Wally

Your first picture there confirms finger joints. You can see the edges of the fingers there where the side meets the bottom.

13. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Looks like a pine cabinet (good, and vintage-correct).

14. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

That's Chris Church's work, who is a reputable amp tech and builder in Hamilton, Ontario (his client list is a whos-who of Canadian rock icons). He's used Sozo coupling caps, F&T filter caps, Belton tube sockets -- all premium stuff. Not sure the transformers, but I know Chris favours Heyboer and Mercury iron. His page, Church Audio, on FB can tell you more.

That being said, custom amps -- even by reputable builders -- tend to suffer a lot in resale, especially in Canada, and especially 5E3s which is the most frequently cloned model out there. Try posting this on the Guitars Canada - Canadian Guitar Forum sale threads, or on Kijiji (Canada's Craigslist) and you might get more bites from the people that know Chris's work.

Wally likes this.
  15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It looks like nice work, good label parts.

Problem is, you're up against not only old Fenders, not only reissues but also boutique brand names, like Black Cat, Victoria, Swart, Allen.

Makes it a tough sell. I'd give you more than say a new BJ with warranty - but to many people it's not a value proposition.

16. Wally

Chase, imho....unless you just don’t like the amp or you need the money that is an amp worth keeping. It looks like excellent work....outside of one missing nut as D’tar notes. If I were close and needed a 5E3, we would be talking. It may well be that one would be hard pressed to replace it for what you are asking....or especially for what you will get offered. But...if it has to go, it has to go.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tweed clones from 5E3-up built as one-offs with quality components and finger-jointed pine cabs all seem to sell for $600-750 in the Los Angeles area, most at the lower end.

Quality isn't the issue - there's no guarantee of ongoing manufacturer's support, and build quality - regardless of what's visible - is always in question.

18. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Yeah I’ve sold top shelf guitars with top shelf finishes for less than cost in unfinished parts and tweed Deluxe clones for same. Hurts. But if you just don’t have a use for something anymore, it’s time to go. That is a nice looking amp and yes if you weren’t in Canada I might be reaching in my lint and button filled pocket to see if I had some coins to rub together for yet another amp.

It’s not just clone guitar related stuff - I’m trying to sell a bamboo fly rod built on a reputable and rare makers blank and I can’t even get the cost of the parts.

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Canadian Guitar Forum. Ask $800 CAD. In my opinion. Sold many an amp on there. Canadian market is 1/10th the size of of US market.

20. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Thanks for the help guys; I reached out to Chris Church; he confirmed the speaker is an original jensen Alnico from the 1950s re-coned by vin-tone. Transformer is a heyboer.

Thanks for all the help guys; he told me not to sell it for less than $1200 canadian. I don't play guitar much anymore, and was hoping to get a bass, but i don't want to dump it for way less than it's worth

D'tar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.