1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Tweed deluxe 5e3 custom vintage pine"-- Reverb.com

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by eighteyedspy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. eighteyedspy

eighteyedspy TDPRI Member

Saw this on reverb.com from a relatively unknown builder. Pretty nice looking, but I'm no expert. When I look at the gut shots, they look good to me, but I have no technical knowledge of how the insides of an amp should look like. Can anyone look these photos over and give me their opinion of if I should take the plunge? If you read the description, he uses carbon comp resistors, Sprague and Mojo caps, Switchcraft jacks, CTS pots, solid core cloth covered wire, US-made chassis, JJ and EH tubes, Heyboer transformers, and a Weber Ceramic 1230 30 watt speaker (like a Celestion G12H-30). He wrote me that it works fine, it sounds like it should. I'm planning on a Clark Beaufort Premium or either a Crema Wheat (w/ Scumback J75) or a Cortez from Tungsten. This amp can be had for half the price or less than any of of those three. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

It looks really good, if you're planning on keeping the amp it seems that it would be a good value, I don't think the resale would be very good because he is a low volume amp builder.

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It looks like a solid build.

cboutilier likes this.
  4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Looks pretty solid. I have a couple of nits to pick though. Cutting the cap leads short like that risks overheating during soldering unless thoroughly heat sinked. Those joints would also benefit long term from having a more solid wrapping for durability. The filter caps' grounding is not split per the modern standard of preamp/power amp, so it might hum a little. Mine did before I corrected it. I'd also ask for pics of the socket lead dress before committing.

Overall, looks like a Mojotone small parts kit assembled by a decently competent builder. Should sound pretty good.

Did I mention I'm pretty persnickety on builds? ;-)

Wally likes this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Did I mention I'm pretty persnickety on builds? ;-)

Looks like a typical Kool-Aid build... that is, it's likely built with the best information available on the 'net but a couple degrees removed from best practice.

For example...

"Stood up filaments". There was an Urban Legend that "stood up filaments" as per 1960s Fenders were the way to go. It's supposed to reduce hum. In reality it was a production expedient and rarely seen in milspec devices. Besides, the filament wiring obstructs access to the board. It's enough of a hassle to get in, get out and not set the world on fire while I'm in there.

Look at a Richter then look at the grounding scheme on this one.

I just got another batch of milspec Cinch sockets. There were several suppliers of milspec sockets to the U.S. military. The new ones as per this amp are "good enough", a stretch removed from "the best".

The cabinet is from eBay with a coat of Zip Guard applied. Tweed cabinets can be built so you can use your amp to fight your way out of a bar. Think Skynyrd, "Gimme Three Steps". One good whack to the speaker baffle would demonstrate the weak spot in this one.

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I guess the question is, is it a fair price? A Crema Wheat retails for about 1700. I can build myself a Mojo 5E3 for about 900 or so. The OP is saying this is half or less a Tungsten amp, so 850-ish? We have a decently speced out chassis in a discount cab, and someone already built it.

If you're looking for something for home, occasional gig use, or maybe studio use, and the caveats pointed out aren't a concern, it'd be worth looking further into. Just make sure the seller offers a proper return policy and ships it insured.

If you plan on this amp getting steady gig use - things spilled on it, knocked over by drunk patrons, tossed in the back of a car after shows, driven around often - go for a nicer built one. You'll thank yourself in a few years when it's still going strong. The build quality and reliability is where the extra money is going.

7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

The speaker is top-notch and should be wild in this circuit. I had one in an 18 watter and it was outta control in the best way. The 5e3 will love it.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Is that or is that not a finger-jointed box ?

If it ain't is it a half-lap joint ?

By the way, I've got a BYOC Tweed Royal (5F1 Champ/5F2a Princeton/5F10 Harvard/5E3 Deluxe all in the same amp) w/ an alnico Weber in it I'm going to move along soon...;)

Newbcaster likes this.
  9. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I searched Reverb and found it. He's got a knotty pine one with better pics, and that cab is dovetailed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.