1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweed Covering options.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rob2, Apr 4, 2021.

1. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I'm only aware of two woven "tweed" (or luggage linen)options available for builders,the standard Fender or the fairly naff acrylic type used on cheap cases etc...I've used both.....heres a shot with the naff acrylic beside a Ltd Jr....
    DSCN3940.JPG

I know I can vary the colour with shellac or by tinting nitro(though as often pointed out the naff stuff takes on a green tinge,though not always a problem) but I'd like the option of varied patterns and esp to know if theres any source of the low-contrast used on the early Fender(TV era etc).
    1950_Fender_Deluxe_Amp_1963_11.jpg

The little Gretsch version of the Champ 600 came with a woven(again I think acrylic) pattern that was different but there were so many back in the day I wonder are any still available for other purposes,furniture restoration perhaps?This is particularly pretty..
    fidelity tweed.jpg
    A lot of the budget amps used something more like a fabric reinforced embossed paper based covering,also seen on luggage,again seems impossible to source,I suppose they are materials that by and large became obsolete along with the beehive hairstyle....
    supro supreme 52 53.jpg
    .....any leads out there!?!

Deeve likes this.
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I've been lookin' too. this one caught my eye on fleabay. woven cotton & synthetic, several color options

[​IMG]

might be too weird though. I'm not trying to be Fender though. I'll prolly go the a local fabric store and look around

3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Thats fairly eye-popping for sure!.....one thing I've discovered now is that tweed is not the search term needed,its actually a weave called twill....seems to be some types on Etsy but its hard to tell if its suitable...not stiffened like the Fender stuff,probably hard to work and will soak up finish....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still,sold in small crafter quantities so might be worth a shot......

Nickfl likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a short lived thread on this subject a few years ago. I also searched the interwebs back then, looking for the best option to restore my '58 Twin. The best I could come up with was the stuff from Angela

I put it on with 3M M77 spray adhesive. Then, used a coat fo clear shellac, followed by several coats of amber shellac, thinned out to maybe a 1:1

[​IMG]

jsnwhite619, rob2 and Nickfl like this.
  5. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Beautiful job and beautiful amp!
    That or similar is fortunately available from a few suppliers here in Europe,along with the two Fender grille cloths
    DSCN4108.JPG Tinting it works great but I'd like to get some pattern variations for future jobs...this is the same cloth I reckon,just one coat of 25/75 gloss/matte nitro in my case on the last few... DSCN4113.JPG
    I have a cab underway with a more retro look but I think at this stage I'll just use shellac to give a two tone covering with the Fender cloth...

Axis29 likes this.
  6. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Where did you get that tweed?

7. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

The Fender type tweed is available from a few suppliers in Europe,I reckon it must be very widely available stateside.....Mojotone have it in two widths....just double check its actual twill material,not the printed tweed pattern vinyl...can be really hard to tell apart online...

8. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

...well DSCN5255.JPG got this done,Swart obviously the inspiration.....5W 2x6(vertical) using a little Kustom head....
    have possibly also found what the paper/fabric covering was/is,seems to available as a bookbinding material....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.