tweed champ style amp, narrow panel deluxe style cabinet, which speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by DrPepper, Jun 21, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If I were to get a 5E3 style cabinet for my 5F1, what speaker do you guys recommend? I'm not planning on any mods to the amp's circuit so, it would want to "see" a 4 ohm load so an 8 ohm should be okay.

I play mainly clean with no effects. My 5F1 is a 2019 model. I prefer alnico but, dislike a dark sounding amp.

Celestion G12H30 Anniversary?

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

5F1's come in many varieties.

Do you know the rated mA of the power transformer?
    Do you know which output transformer you have.

I would not suggest an 8ohm speaker on the original spec 5F1.
    If you have a clone with more capability not a problem.

10" Copperhead? 12" Weber 12a125?

sudogeek likes this.
  3. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Tone Tubby Purple Haze. Great speaker.

4. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Just built a 2x12 Mojotone with a low wattage “H bomb”. Used TT Chicago blue and a new model called Black Beauty which is ceramic.
    Really enjoying it. Playing a lil dawg champster and a Carmen Ghia through the cab.

5. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

6. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

I’ve heard good things about the TT purple haze. I have the Chicago blue and really like it.

7. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like Weber Alnico speakers. You can order them “broken in” and they are built close spec for consistency. My first 5F1 had a 4ohm OT so I ordered a 10A100 and a 12A100. Both smooth cone, low power Alnico.

I have a cab with a 12” baffle and a Weber 12>10 Reducer ring so I could try both. I ended up with the 12” in the bigger cab. Build my second 5F1 and smartened up with a 4/8ohm OT. It now lives in a Mergelli “Big Boy” Champ Cab with the 10”.

I have Weber CVA8 Alnico ready for my next build which will be in a small, regular sized Champ Cab. I am also able to use a long speaker cable and plug in the Weber 12A125 in my 5E3 Deluxe. That is a glorious speaker BTW.

I honestly could not pick a favorite. They all sound different, but all sound great. I highly recommend Weber, especially since you are locked into a 4ohm Trannie.

8. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

+1 on the Copperhead - I have one in a 16x20x10 (Deluxe or PR sized) cabinet that is driven by my Champ head.

I highly recommend building a Champ in a (very portable) head with an OT with both 4 and 8 ohm taps, then plugging it into any number of cabinets. With your existing 5F1, you could house the chassis in a head cabinet or use the Champ combo to drive an external cabinet. I’ve tried a range from an 8” in a Champ-sized cab to a 1x12” to a 2x10” cab (but not larger). I think the 10” in a Deluxe cab is about right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.