Tweed Champ kits? Best vendor?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Lancer X, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lancer X

Lancer X TDPRI Member

Hi all! I am thinking about hand-building a Fender Champ (5F1) clone kit over the winter. Could you please recommend any kit vendors you've had a good experience with?

Some candidates:
    • Weber
    • Mojotone
    • StewMac

Any recommendations? (This would be my first such build.)

boredguy6060 likes this.
  2. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

Good luck! Like many here, I bought my 5F2a kit from Boothill, which turned out very nicely... (sourced my mains transformer separately as i'm in the UK, and built my own cab).

Some folk will suggest you get the 5f2a as the chassis is larger, but the 5F1 is a cool project too.

3. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mojo and stew Mac are the same kit. I would go with whichever of those two you can get a deal on. I have had great luck for many years with both of those vendors. Weber is great to deal with also, but I don’t have any experience with their kits.

Lancer X likes this.
  4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Boothill didn't respond to my second email with some questions (and order request,) so wound up sourcing my kit myself (I had a lot of the stuff, so just bought the reset without buying a whole kit.) That was a year ago (and for a 5E3) so YMMV, but made me wary as if I had an issue with a part I might be stuck.

gabasa and Lancer X like this.
  5. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My first Champ was from Mojo. Good quality. Great instructions.

While you are shopping, you might check out Shock Brother Dave at Boothill Amplification. Probably the most inexpensive kit and He provides really good build support.

BTW, you can download the instructions from both Mojo and StewMac. It helps to start familiarizing your self while waiting for parts to arrive.

Lancer X likes this.
  6. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I can think of at least 6 reasons to build a 5F2A Princeton instead of a 5F1 Champ, if you're receptive to the idea:

1) chassis less cramped
    2) slightly bigger cabinet
    3) usually 8Ω 10" speaker instead of 4Ω 8" speaker
    4) tone control adds a lot of flexibility for brighter and darker guitars, at almost no extra complexity
    5) 32uF of capacitance at the first power supply node instead of 16uF for less single-ended hum
    6) power switch not on volume control

That's all I've got for now. I just think the 5F2A is the way to go, it's a fantastic little amp.

P.S. Oh, and how about I answer the actual question? :lol: I used a Weber kit but substituted vintage capacitors, carbon comp resistors, and tubes from my stash.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  7. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I'm not sure of the best but I've built a 5F1 from Boothill and was very happy. Dave will also customize the kit with your requested components if you desire.

old wrench and Lancer X like this.
  8. Lancer X

Lancer X TDPRI Member

So these are both 5-watt amps, right? Am I correct that the Princeton would be significantly louder with the 10" speaker vs 8"??

9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Dave from Boothill is a forum member here.

I used one of his kits (5F1 Champ) and supplied my own transformers = low cost and great tone :).

10. J. Bonkosky

Yes lancer they are both 5W amps. Nearly Identical electronically with the only differences being a tone control circuit, output transformer, and power filtering.

11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Another plug for Dave at Boothill. I bought a 5f1 kit from him this spring so my son and I could build it for his school project. He lives near me, so I went down to his shop and picked it up. It's currently my favorite amp.

My buddy built a 5e3 from a Boothill kit, which was also great.

That said, I'll build another Champ in the next couple of years when my son leaves home and takes the one we built. Then, I'll source the parts myself (I actually enjoy that part of the process).

12. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

My first build was a Boothill 5F1 so I would definitely echo those recommendations. For a soup to nuts kit without having to source anything on your own I would probably go Mojotone, which as someone else already mentioned is the same kit you would get from Stew Mac.

13. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister

Think the StewMac are simply repackaged MojoTone (they did write their own instructions). Not certain, but that is my impression.

14. Lancer X

Lancer X TDPRI Member

Thanks. How would the overall volume compare between these two setups? Would the Princeton be louder due to the 10” speaker?

Whichever unit would be quietest at the edge of breakup would be my preference.

15. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

The size of the speaker doesn't necessarily equate to the volume. The 10" might sound a little bigger but not necessarily louder, again depending on the specific speaker you choose. If you look at WGS for example their G8C has SPL of 95.78 db while their Veteran 10" has SPL of 93.84 db. So in this case I would expect the 8" to be louder.

Lancer X likes this.
  16. J. Bonkosky

It really depends on speaker efficiency. I have a Weber 8” in one of my silver face champs. That amp is louder then my peavey backstage with a CTS 10”. And it is slightly louder then my other champ with a warehouse 8”. But yes a ten should move more air. But as with everything there is more to it then that.

Lancer X likes this.
  17. Lancer X

Lancer X TDPRI Member

Gotcha - thanks, all! I hadn't noticed that speaker specs listed a SPL number.

Wow, interesting. Looking at the freq/SPL curves on Jensen's site, it looks like their 8" 4-ohm AlNiCo and the 10" 8-ohm AlNiCo produce almost identical SPL - only about a dB difference.

18. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Weber kit quality is less than the Mojo/Stewmac kits. I prefer a 10” speaker in my 5f1/5f2a builds, but I also build my own cabinets to accommodate the larger speaker. Nominally, they would be the same volume but speaker efficiency is a better guide to how loud it will be vs the difference between 8 vs 10. If you were going to do a 2x or 4x speaker, then that would certainly be louder because of more air moving but side by side a 10 isn’t much louder than an 8 all else equal.

Lancer X likes this.
  19. Lancer X

Lancer X TDPRI Member

I'm not surprised, seeing as the Weber kits are $100 less than MojoTone. I'm curious though - lesser quality in what respects? Quality of the cab? Of the components?

BTW @dankilling, I lived in Bethlehem for about 15 years. :) Just inside NJ now - little town called Califon.

20. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The chassis, transformers, tubes, and components are all better quality in the Mojo kits vs the Weber kit. The Weber kit gives more speaker options, which may be key if that’s important for you.

Very cool to meet another neighbor here! When all this Covid crap is over, we need to do a locals jam!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.