1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweed Champ and Jensen P8R reissue?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by javierj, Jan 3, 2021.

1. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Hello,

I have a Swart Amps Space Tone, ST-6V6se amp, which is like a customized Tweed Princeton/Champ 5F2/5F1 circuit. I like this amp quite a bit, but I think I am about fed up with the extremely dark and dull sounding Eminence 820H speaker that I have in there at the moment. I got this speaker like 3 years ago, based on many good reviews about his hemp cone speaker. I mean is not a bad speaker, but for some reason in this amp, it sounds quite dark, middy and kind of dull, with very little high frequency definition.

I have tried all kinds of different tubes and I just get a small improvement. I was thinking maybe it is time to try a more chimney speaker, with better clarity, articulation and definition, with emphasis on the high frequencies, something that could bring something closer to sparkle. I know that the Tweed amps are not the best in sparkle highs, but I think this amp could do better in that area. I the amp does have a Tone knob to make it brighter and I also have a good eq pedal, but still is not able to bring what is missing on this amp.

The Eminence 820H was good in being better in the low end frequencies for an 8 inch speaker and sounding bigger with it's good efficiency of 96.1 dB, but I think I am ready to trade in this for a more chimney, brighter more open sounding speaker and I think that the reissue alnico Jensen P8R could probably get me there.

I would really appreciate some thoughts on this new Jensen P8R reissue speaker!!!

Cheers!

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have built a 5F1 circuit with a Weber CVA8 and a Jensen P8R. In my experience the circuit is just dark sounding. I doubt the speaker will make much difference. Both of those speakers are bright and clear in my silver face champs. Hope this helps. Good luck.

javierj likes this.
  3. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Thanks a lot for your input!

Yeah that is what I thought, that it seems to be the nature of the circuit 5F1/5F2 to be kind of dark and with mid range emphasis.

It's good to know about the Jensen P8R reissue to be bright and clear, which is what I could benefit from right now. That seems to be the general consensus of the Jensen reissue P8R, that it is bright and clear, good to know..

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Changing the first cap on the right on a 5f1 can tame the mids quite easily.The cathode bypass cap is rated 25uF, and determine s pre amp gain.

Another place to look is the v1 coupling caps.

javierj likes this.
  5. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

I just ordered the Jensen reissue P8R. I will see how it goes with that new speaker.

2L man likes this.
  6. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The C8R is a great choice as well. I tried it a few years ago and there was nothing about it that kept me searching.

8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Jupiter 8sc

javierj likes this.
  9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have a 5F1 clone built by a well-respected builder and a new Fender 57 Custom Champ. Both have the (supposedly) identical Weber alnico Sig 8" speaker and same NOS tube compliment. The clone sounds thinner and brighter. The Fender sounds darker but bigger and fuller. That speaker is a popular 5F1 choice.....but obviously depends on the individual amp. having said that, I've listened to lots of demos and read all the Champ speaker reviews I could find, and I think the new Jensen speaker you referenced is generally regarded as one of the brighter ones. The modern Italian made Jensens sometimes get criticized, but of the few I have had, I think they sound good but may take quite a while to break in. If I'm not mistaken, Victoria uses that Jensen speaker in their 518 Tweed Champ clone.

edit: I can't find it right now, but a few years ago there was a Champ speaker comparison that was done by someone like Tone Quest Reports that tested 4 or 5 speakers including that Jensen. From what I remember it was well done and included good descriptive comments but also technical info (frequency response, etc. I think). You might search to find that 8" speaker comparison test.

edit 2: Actually it was an article titled "6 for Swapping: 8" Speaker Roundup Review" that appeared in Premier Guitar in April, 2017. The test was actually done using a SF Vibro Champ and included sound clips - but still may be of interest.....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  10. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Yeah you know that was the speaker that I really wanted the most for my amp. I think that will actually be a great match, but then I thought I have never had an Alnico speaker in any of my amps, so I thought I try one...

11. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

When I play strat to 5F1 and Jensen P10R it sounds like in this video 58 Champ but unfortunately my playing sucks. My Hunbucker guitar is poor so its sound is nowhere as nasty good as this 335 sounds.

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Here's the one I did a couple years ago with the Jensen C8R Reissue. It probably had 25 hours or so of break-in time on it.

2L man likes this.
  13. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

had one for a while, if bright and clear is what you want, its a good choice for the champ. I kind of wish I still had it

javierj likes this.
  14. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I’m a few days late to this thread but I’ve owned a Swart Space Tone, I think it had the Mojo speaker, and have owned a 1959 Tweed Champ for the last 15 years. My Tweed Champ came to me with a very tired original speaker which didn’t sound too good. My attempt to put a Weber Alnico in it was thwarted by a defective speaker upon arrival. On hand was a Jensen which went into the amp and has stayed there for at least 13 years now.

As for the Swart Space Tone mine never sounded dark so not sure what’s going on there. A Jensen should be fine but if it were me, I’d try a Jupiter speaker that’s all the rage currently.

15. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

The Jupiter 8sc is made by WGS and a special run of their WGS G8C

16. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

Yes that is correct, brighter and clear is what I want...

17. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

When I plugged in my Swart Amp Space tone as a head to another speaker/cab, is not dark. It is dark with it's internal speaker the Eminence hemp cone 820H eight inch speaker...

18. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

I almost got the WGS G8C, but in the end went for the Jensen P8R ALNICO. If I ever decided to get get another speaker for this amp, it will definitely the Jupiter 8SC or the WGS G8C. I think those two are also terrific speakers and they seem to be also bright and clear, I think...

19. javierj

javierj Tele-Meister

I kind of always wanted an Alnico speaker and specially for a Tweed amp. I have never owned or barely played an Alnico magnet speaker before...

20. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

My '68 Vibro champ is glorious with it's Italian Jensen re-issue AlNiCo magnet speaker. Tonally it's going to be naturally brighter than your Swart, though. Wish I could offer more help. Good luck.

javierj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.