Tweed Champ 8" speaker - Weber CVA8 or Alnico Sig?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I have to say out of the 3 Champs, 5F1 (Clapton) 76 VC and drip edge 68 VC with original Jensen alnico the original was the best. Not most resistant to farting or distortion but most pleasant sound. But the two Sigs were very good and close overall. Straight cone alnico spikier with breakup. Ribbed ceramic smoother with a little more headroom. Expecting 12" levels of bass or even 10" levels you are going to be disappointed. But - it's a 5 watt amp.

If used within context as a loungeroom moderate volume amp with natural moderate tube clean to overdrrive it is more than fine.

Maybe not if you're running lots of boost and distortion or diming everything it's farty. Then - maybe it's not the amp for you?

This is never going to be a gigging amp unless you mic it (which I have and it works great - sounds like a big amp).

rjtwangs likes this.
  2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

I've had a Weber Signature ceramic 8, VOR 8A-25, Weber Signature alnico 8S and CVA8 in my Champ clone. I stopped looking when I put the CVA8 in it. It's brighter than the alnico 8S and VOR 8A-25 and sweeter than the ceramic 8.

4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Thanks caspersvapors, I think its a Jensen, not absolutely sure. I've heard that Oxford was another brand installed in these. Here's a couple of pics.

20181222_142741.jpg 20181222_142653.jpg

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Manufacturer number is 465, I think that is Oxford?. Certainly not Jensen, which is 220. Just from memory, haven't checked a code list.
    Al

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

Having rolled a lot of 8" speakers in both my champ and Gibson ga-5 I can very highly recommend two speakers in these type amps. First is the Tone Tubby Humboult 8" alnico hemp cone. If you want higher volume while speaker stays clean you can also get it ordered with a cloth surround. Mine has the regular surround and does great clean and distortion tones. I didn't think I would hear that much difference in the hemp vs paper cone comparison but I could very easily and it sounds great. Second speaker I really dig in these amps is the Jupiter 8" ceramic speaker. There are times when I prefer the Jupiter tone and behavior over even the tone tubby. It all depends on what you're looking for in the speaker and what you want it to do best. Nothing grinds and distorts but yet sounds great clean like the Jupiter. And if you're wanting incredible clean tones with the alnico chime and natural compression than the tone tubby or similar speaker is way to go. Most important thing I've found and particularly with 8" speakers is that you must throughly break them in for hours before being able to properly judge them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.