Tweed Bassman Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gabasa, Nov 24, 2021.

1. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

I know ... This has been discussed a thousand times and I've read every comment on the internet about this for two decades. But I have to ask the fine folk here regarding some specific Webers.

Specifically, I have to questions. Regarding a tweed 4x10 Bassman, which of these is the best choice and why?
    1. 4 x 10A125
    2. 4 x 10A100T
    3. 4 x 10A100
    The tweed Bassman is a fierce sounding amp. It's big and deep, but there's no shortage of brightness either. I don't know if the 10A100T would be a good too bright, but it's the one that's been on my mind the most. Did the original 5F6A ship with smooth-cone or ribbed-cone speakers?

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The established clone makers typically offer a set of 10A125. Inquire with them as to why.

3. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Ribbed. You know why.

Actually, the smooth cones would be for earlier amplifiers. They are nice and warm but break up early and can be a bit tubby sounding when they do. I have a pair each of 10A125 and 10A100 in a Super Reverb cab that I like. (Well, mine are P10R and P10Q - prior to the Weber part number change).

You have to watch the power rating as well. The 10A100's might not hold up to the power output of the amp. Apparently P10R'S didn't in the originals.

There is one Eminence that Fender used in the reissues that is apparently still available the is also highly regarded. I don't have the model number memorized.

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Emi 1028k

bblumentritt and Telecaster1954 like this.
  5. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Thank you. Is there a 1028ALK ?

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Check out Kendrick black frames.
    They're ceramic, but the magnets are specifically designed to sound like old speakers and they have NOS OEM cones.
    I had a Kendrick Bassman that I could make sound almost indistinguishable from an original '58.
    I would also check if there is an Emi/Allessandro in a 10. The 12s are very sweet.

ritten70 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

-Not the T version , as you mentioned brightness. The 10A100 is bright enough as is!
    -The 10A100 would be closer to the original P10R Jensens I suppose. Not sure when the Tweed Bassmans had P10Q's though. Some had one, some had the other.
    -I suppose if you play quite loud a lot maybe the 10A125 would be better.

Personally I might go with the Eminence Blue Frame types (1028-F?) Built for Fender.

But I'm not an alnico guy so for me it would likely be some Emi GA SC64 as they have paper VC formers like the original Jensens.
    Here's a set of original P10R's 1959!
    https://reverb.com/item/4609955-fender-bassman-1959-original-vintage-speakers-super-rare

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  8. Emiel

Emiel Tele-Meister

Have a look at the Jensen P10R-F speaker. This is the speaker that Fender uses in for instance the Tweed Bandmaster reissue.

I have one in a 5F10 Harvard build and out of many speakers, this came on top.

Antoon, 2L man and bblumentritt like this.
  9. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

Stephen Stills gets a great live sound out of his tweed Bassman. He had four old Celestions in there.

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a mix of (Recoton) Jensen P10R's and Eminence 1028s.

I have a newly reconed set of Weber P10Q's (which I were listed as 10A125 recones on the invoice).

I would be afraid of the Webers in a Bassman. They are higher efficiency, punchier, and seem a lot stiffer. Granted, they are not even close to broken in yet... But, I am unsure about using them in my Bassman (although, I have contemplated it a good bit).

If I wanted all the same, I'd go with the Eminence (paper former, if you can find them, but it's not that important... The kapton formers sound fine). I like the mix of Eminence and Jensens, they have a nice mix and compliment each other nicely. The Jensens are a little bright... Literally, just a touch too bright. The Eminence have a softer treble and a little tighter bass. The mix cuts any icepick, and keeps the bass so nice and smooth and tight. No flub.

I have not had a chance to do a side by side with a vintage Bassman. But, i did get a chance to play a '59 over at Gruhn's a few years ago... It sounded like my amp. I have compared ti directly to my non-stock '58 Twin. They sound similar enough to me that I am stoked with the tone.

I've contemplated some Celestions (I like a mix of Jensen-voiced and Celestion-voiced speakers). Maybe if Celestion comes out with a 10" alnico or neo creamback, I'll make a change. But, honestly, I love my Bassman so much right now, I'd have to stumble upon some ridiculous sale....

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Been looking at 10s alnicos for me super reverb. Only 1. I have cts. Sounds like emi may have too much and the Weber ver not enough and the f version of p10 too dark. Still looking.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For her pleasure.

Someone had to say it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    uriah1, gmann, gabasa and 1 other person like this.
  13. Alchemist_PhD

Alchemist_PhD TDPRI Member

Did you go with 1028k or the special order 1028P with paper formers? Currently building a 5F6A and have 4x10 Weber DT10s. The dog house cover hits the ceramic magnet so I’m getting ready to order 2x 1028K and keep the DT10s in the bottom and have the alnico 1028s in the top.

14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Best for what?

Volume? Breakup? Treble? Bass? Mids?

Alex W, schmee and JRapp like this.
  15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

Try two Ceramic magnet speakers in the top and two Alnico magnet speakers in the bottom, speakers of your choice.

Alex W likes this.
  16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I had 4 of the 10A125 webers in a boutique tweed bassman. That amp sounded so good; the last thing I would have experimented with was the speakers. They were perfect.

17. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

This is all good to hear; thanks for the comments. There was a period in which my main amp was a Clark Bassman with Jensen copper foil caps and Weber 10A125 speakers. It was a bright amp but it did mellow out over time.

In my experience, I feel like the 10A100T is a hair mellower right out of the box than the 10A125. I'd even call it a smokier speaker. Perhaps the stronger magnet gives the 10A125 more presence as well as a stronger bottom end.

I actually have a 4-Ohm, 2X10 Bassman in the house. Maybe I should plug it into my 1x10 (10A125) cabinet, then my 1x10 (10A100T) cabinet, just to compare the character of the speakers at lower volumes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    mad dog likes this.
  18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

It was owning a Clark Tyger that got me to appreciate multiple 10A125 speakers. And it's interesting ... the 4x10 bassman with 4 of those same speakers was a much bigger sounding amp. A different circuit surely, but the 4x10 format itself seems to be some kind of a magic touch. Which makes me think any blend of 10A125s and 10A100s would probably sound excellent.

There seems to be an ideal result from 4 low to medium power alnico speakers. It certainly seemed that way with the super reverb. Nothing I heard or tried beat 4 of the original CTS alnicos. I tried blending Kendrick blackframes, Emi copperheads and a few others. Did a number of swaps like that with the Clark Tyger as well. To my ears, nothing beat the all alnico lineup in that amp too.

The only problem with the 10A125 is weight. It's a bit more than the smaller coil 10A100. So my bassman was not light. But it sounded too good to mess with.

theprofessor likes this.
  19. EXPLRGAB

EXPLRGAB TDPRI Member

CLARK..is now using TONE TUBBY...speakers in the PIEDMONT he built for me. I opted FOR 2 X12"

20. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought 'em used off the 'Bay. They are painted blue.... They are 1028's. Now you know the facts I know.

Honestly, they just sound good. I don't really care about anything else.

But, I am reasonably assured in my opinion that they are kapton formers. They are certainly not old enough to be the stock paper formers that used to come in these amps. And, I got them at a good enough price, I highly doubt they were the custom ordered ones. Plus, nothing was mentioned in the ad.... And, anyone who can add something like that to their sale, is gonna.... So, yeah, I'm guessing kapton.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.