Tweed Bassman (5F6A) vs Brown Super (6G4A)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 63 vibroverb, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Would like to hear opinions/thoughts from people who have played both amps. A comparison would be appreciated, and overall what you prefer between the 2.

Thanks

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Apples and oranges ime. Bassman is a lot louder, bigger sounding to me, breaks up better. Two more speakers, bigger iron, just more amp. The Super has a one of the sweetest clean tones I’ve heard. Mine got a little ratty when cranked, and it had been fully serviced, new ecaps, everything operating per spec. Super has that mesmerizing harmonic trem too. Two very different animals though to me.

63 vibroverb and Wally like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We can do that, but the info you get will be better if you trade us some info.

Are you thinking about buying one?
    What kind of music do you play?
    What guitars to you use?
    Do you use pedals?
    Do you want to gig with the amp?

63 vibroverb likes this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

You might be able to compare a 6G12 Concert to 5F6A Bassman. Even then it's more about it's form factor than the actual tone.

Except for using 12AX7 preamp tubes, 6L6 power tubes and 10 inch speakers, the tweed and 6G amps are pretty different. Except for the 6G3 Deluxe, the 6G amps in general have more headroom and clarity than their tweed forbearers. The tweed era used Triad output transformers and the 6G began to use Woodward Schumacher, this is a big tonal difference between the two eras. Also the blue Mallory caps began to show up on the 6G amps whereas the tweed amps used Astron caps. Those are also a difference in their behavior. A Super will generate a bit more grind than a similar era Concert, but the 6G amps were designed to be loud and bold. It won't overdrive like a tweed. A friend had a 6G4A and it was great sounding amp for recording. I am more with the 6G amps, but then again I prefer a Hiwatt to a Marshall. If you like an amp that has a spongy overdrive, then it's hard to beat a 5F6A. If you can't make a good sound with either amp, you simply need a Peavey Bandit and some lessons.

My personal favorite amp is a 6G9A Tremolux head. It has Triad transformers and a bit less output than a Super. It perfectly bridges tweed and 6G sounds. I also own a 6G12 Concert which is a punishing amp. It never really overdrives. It had a 45924 output transformer like a Basman. When it's up and running, that Concert really cuts through, but it doesn't overdrive like my friend's 58 Bassman. The Super is definitely a worthy amp to purchase. I have never owned one, but have played a few over the years. I still look for them, but hard to find one under $3K these days. Most Bassman are far too expensive for me to bother with. Now a 5E4A Super would be a dream amp. Good luck finding one. The Super with 6V6 and 2x10 is one of the great Fender amps that wasn't around long enough for people to appreciate. Similar preamp to Bassman with a pair of 6V6 is just a wicked overdrive tone machine.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  5. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Built a 4x10 tweed super w/ Bassman transformers. Not clean at all, but very nice grind.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  6. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Thanks guys - I have a Fender Prosonic combo which is basically a 5F6A circuit with reverb added and a cascading gain stage (that is switchable in/out). It's also got a bigger output transformer (Twin Reverb size, I believe) so that's a little different. The rectifier is switchable between cathode, class AB tube, and class AB solid state. But for the most part, on the clean channel with the class AB tube rectification, it's a 5F6A. It's a great amp and I've made it work for to my liking, but I guess I'm just kinda craving a change or something different. A 6G4A clone just popped up for sale online so that started my curiosity.

The sweeter clean of the Super is what intrigues me. The cleans on the Prosonic are really nice, but sometimes I crave more articulation and sweetness. I wonder if the rattiness of cranking your Super was due to the amp itself or the speakers in it. I know they make a big difference. I like the Webers so much in my Prosonic, I would most likely transfer them over to the Super if I were to get one. That harmonic tremolo is definitely mesmerizing, even though I don't use tremolo much in my music.

Yes, thinking of buying a clone/copy and selling the Prosonic.

I play blues, jazz, rock, basically anything with good cleans that can sing and roar when pushed. Not looking for heavy distortion or grind these days. I cycle thru my Les Paul, Strat, Tele and 335 - but 90% of the time I'm on my Les Paul.

No pedals, and I like to crank the amp at gigs.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

My description of my Super as “ratty” may be unfair. I have a 6G3, and when comparing the two when cranked, the Super was a lot looser, not nearly as “pleasing” an OD as the Deluxe, but you could say the same about a lot of amps compared to a Brown Deluxe. I ran a few different speakers in the Super, but I really didn’t get it for its overdriven tone, so maybe don’t take my opinion too far. One thing about the Super, it did get some wonderful natural compression going at around 6 1/2. They’re really cool amps.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  8. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I like both. the Brown Super has a beautiful, fast and sharp clean. (Remembering SS recitification ...) The kind of sound that works so well live.

But the tweed bassman really is something different. To me, it has the reach, soundstage size of the Super Reverb. But not as cavernous (no reverb), and different, more balanced voicing (no scoop). And equally fine clean, in the 4x10, tweed way. Meaning a rich, harmonically full sound down low, morphs effortless into smooth edge and drive as the volume comes up.

This discussion is somewhat akin to the comparisons between the SR and the VRV. Two tens vs 4. Both great amp. Which is better for you depend on your taste, how you wish to use the amp. IMO, 4x10 amps are really hard to beat.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I had trouble bonding with the tweed Bassman unless I was playing loud. Tone controls seemed to have less effect than the Brown Super. The Brown is a sweet sounding amp. But, personally I'm not a fan of the brown style tremelo that many covet. Too much wiggle for me.
    There is nothing quite so luscious as 4 x 10 speakers though.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  10. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Is that right?

11. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Who makes a good clone of the 6G4A? Which one's got that special mojo?

12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Years ago I was looking for a brown Pro before prices shot up. A friend who had owned a '60 talked me out of it and I ended up getting a Victoria tweed Super, then a LPTT and finally settled down with a tweed Bassman. He actually said the same as dynnh about the overdrive not being pleasant. He also said it was a touch sterile when compared to the other vintage Fenders he rolled with. But that was one amp.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  13. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Do you guys need the tweed? Or are you down with the brown?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.