Tweed amp with firm(est) bass + rich breakup w/ rich depth/harmonics?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, May 12, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Okay, so I see why people swoon over the '59/'60 Bassman. Such fantastic, 3D depths. Dimensionality galore.

And I also see why people love the lower-power Tweeds. Pastels on fire.

All kinds of grail going on.

But I also hear lots of flub, especially on lower notes, power chords, etc. I've long been a Blackface/Silverface kind of player because I really like the solidity of lower-register sounds/notes.

So what Tweed (circuit + speaker size and type) has the firmest bass in the smallest, richest package of power? I.e., is there a type or brand of 5W or 15W Tweed (which circuit?) that sounds really tight with X or Y size and type speaker, but also gives that great Tweed creamy dimensionality when not pushed to break-up edges? Bells without flub, so speak?

Any great compromises between a Bassman's 3D qualities and a Champ's eagerness to catch fire?

I'm describing a Tweed Deluxe, aren't I?

If so, what particular version of the Tweed Deluxe, made by whom, etc.?

Thanks!

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tweed Tremolux 5g9

I had a ‘57 Deluxe which did what they do remarkably well , but my buddy’s ‘60 Tremolux has it beat in spades.

I have right of first refusal on it - and I will exercise that right someday ! o_O

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I have a 5f11 Vibrolux. Bottom end is tighter than a deluxe, not sure of it’s the speaker (10” tone tubby silver bullet) or the circuit itself...but it’s looser than a blackface. I dig it.

Greggorios, RoscoeElegante and Wally like this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Jimi Hendrix on his 57 Tweed Bassman.

Greggorios and RoscoeElegante like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Put a choke on your 5e3 and your flub is gone forever, also the sag and bloom. They are all symptoms of the marginally spaced power supply.

Greggorios and RoscoeElegante like this.
  6. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

5E5 Pro circuit with good 12ay7 tubes and a vintage Jensen P15N. Rock solid bass, clear, well defined highs that only a vintage Jensen can produce, and all sorts of swirling harmonics in between.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Another vote for a Pro.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Biggest, firmest bass, HPTT. My '58 Twin will knock you down with it's bass. But, it is not lower powered... 80 watts.

Next up, the 5f6. My Bassman doesn't flub out. Plus, like the Twin, it has a full compliment of TMB EQ controls, plus Presence. I can almost make it sound like a Blackface amp, almost. Just scoop the mids and lower the bass a bit.

My 5e3 is okay at volume. Less flub for sure. But, at bedroom volumes, it is downright muddy. It's really loose and dark. Not sure it's really flub, but it's not my favorite.

As @Ricky D. says, it's all about undersized transformers. They are the beauty and fault of the tone. Saturated cleans with lots of overtones and beautiful dirt, comes at a price. That price is loose bass.

My Twin has a transformer the size of Cleveland. It weighs a metric s-Ton. Because of that I get a great thump. The kind that just hits you in the chest. It is warm and clear at low volumes, but does begin to saturate early, giving up some distortion and that beautiful edge of breakup. Hit it hard and it just goes. I haven't run it on 12 for very long, but when I did, good gracious it was glorious! Flub would be the last way I would describe it. At 3, the volume is great for bar gigs and the tone is to die for! Let me tell you, the bass hits nicely at this volume too. Not hard, not tight, by any stretch, but firm, pushy and authoritative.

I think if you have a tweed amp with TMB, scoop out the mids and you will notice a lack of flub. The mids push hard and really saturate the transformers. This causes some real trouble for the way the circuit handles the bass. But, by scooping out the mids, you kinda lose a touch of what's tweed now dontcha?

9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just to put it out there, 'firmest bass' and 'Tweed Deluxe' are self-contradicting, like 'smart drummer.' :D

You can 'cure' bass flub in a 5e3 with a big reservoir cap (or choke, as noted) plus some much smaller coupling caps and maybe bypass caps -- but you won't have a 5e3. A bigger, tighter speaker doesn't cure flub, it just reproduces it without speaker breakup.

Bigger tweeds come quickly to mind as noted above. Anyone vote 5e7? For tweed under 20W, I think @Mike Eskimo nailed it with the 5G9. I'd be curious to know how people find the 5F10 Harvard relative to your tone goals, too.

10. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

My 5f4 tweed super has a lot better bass response than a Tweed Deluxe because of its two 10" speaker. Also an additional solid rectifier to the standard tube rectifier helps to tame the flub. And as said good and powerful transformers.

11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I too like the 5f4 210 Super. Mine makes a Deluxe sound like a boxy toy.

RoscoeElegante and skerwo like this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Proluxe with a 12" Jupiter speaker. The low end is exceptional, and highly defined. Maybe 6L6s coming out in the mix?

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The OP is looking for the biggest, firmest bass in a small package. No 6L6 amps apply is how I read it. My vote is the 5F11 Vibrolux.....fixed bias.

King Fan, jhundt, horseman308 and 3 others like this.
  14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Roland Blues Cube Hot, with the Fender Bassman Tweed circuit, perhaps? :rolleyes:

15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

With the 5 - 15 watt limit you have made it very hard. Take it to 26 watts and the 5E5 Pro and a good 15 inch speaker will meet all your needs.

This advice already posted above, but it's also a beauty.

55_FENDER_PRO-a.jpg

16. Wally

If you go that far, then go for the 5E5A which is a much firmer amp than the 5E5 and earlier Pros. The 5E5 is simply a 5E3 circuit with a bigger output section. And...if one goes that far and is looking for firmer and bassier, then go for the 5F6A or as Brother Axis notes...the 5F8A t
    Twin. And then....if you go that far, then go for the darker channel of a Marshall Plexi Md. 1959, right? Or a HiWatt DR103. (;^)
    But....the OP is not looking for that. He is looking for a smaller package.

Axis29 and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Mine weighs under 25 lb, narrow panel cab. 5e3p.

18. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

This was my immediate thought to post. My old tweed Vibrolux didn't fart out much at all. It stayed fairly clean until pushed; at that point the breakup was perfect for my playing.

Wally, RoscoeElegante and thegeezer like this.
  19. Wally

That would be a 5E5...a 5E3 with a bigger output section. Nice amp...but the OP specified 5-15 watts, iirc. And....if you want a 26 watt tweed with a firmer bottom end, go for the 5E5A.....or...see my post 16. However, I am sticking to the guidelines the OP Gabe us....something tweed, 5-15 watts, with as firm a low end as one can get 8; that format. That would be, ime, a 5F11 Vibrolux. The fixed bias puts it into a different class compared to a cathode biased amp, ime.

20. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I hear you, but the 5E5 just has a tone knob with the 2 volumes. The 5E5A has bass, treble and presence. Just trying to keep it simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.