Tweaking the Bugera V5 Circuit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tele_wah_fuzz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Decided not to do the bright cap on the volume pot as I really don't want to mess with the circuit, but did decide to try out the Eminence 820H speaker. Hoping for more clarity not necessarily more efficiency, though I'll probably get that too. Currently has JJ EL84 and Tungsol 12AX7.

2. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I just upgraded my Bugera speaker from a Jensen C8R to a Jupiter 8SC. I highly recommend the Jupiter, as it takes away some of the cardboardy, mid harshness of the Jensen that makes it sound like an 8" speaker. The Jupiter sounds more natural to me. It doesn't sound like a 12" Celestion greenback or anything, but for the money it's a great value as I'd consider the Jupiter to still be in the 'budget' range as far as 8" speakers go. At the time of this writing the Jupiter is $12 more expensive than the Jensen. It's got a bigger, heavier magnet on it than the Jensen, too which is usually a good indication of quality.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  3. walkingspanish

walkingspanish NEW MEMBER!

I just wanted to reply to the thread that I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences!

I was really disappointed with how dark the amp sounded when attenuated. My living conditions require it, and I hate headphones.

This gave me the courage to mod a V5 Infineon.

I ran some wire from the gain and volume pots to a DPDT switch, and am currently experimenting with various cap, cap/resistor combinations to see what sound I like best.

I am incredibly surprised at how much I can sculpt the tone with these mods alone. So cool!

4. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

Are these mods also good for the T5 infinium head amp?

5. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

So to answer part of my question.. I removed the bottom cover of the T5 (should have taken pics) and looks different than the V5, looks like they have upgraded some electrolitics and tube location is different. I did some tube swapping till I found a combination that made a nice improvement, more clarity and gain. Great sounding amp with bright sounding guitars as Telecasters. If nothing else changes with the sound I'm happy but would still love to get that extra bit of clarity towards the highs. I have it playing through an old fender FM65R using the 12 inch speaker.

6. oscarlat

oscarlat NEW MEMBER!

I guys, thank you for this very interesting thread, I am very happy I found it!
    I bought a bugera v5 infinium last week, but I found too dark sounding with my ibanez rg2550 with seymour duncan jazz/jb humbuckers. The amp sounded better through the 12" celestion vintage 30 of my mesa-boogie f30, but still was dark with humbuckers and a basswood body. Reading this thread I decided to install the bright caps, instead of returning it to the shop and it changed drastically the eq of the amp, I am so happy of the improvements. With a 220pf on the gain knob and a 270pf on the volume knob, now it has almost too many highs (but still controllable with the tone knob) when I play it through the 12" celestion.
    A little note which could be useful to other noobs like me. The pots of the infinium version are mounted directly on the PCB and have 4 pins. The two central ones are those to be connected by the capacitor to install the bright cap.
    Thank you again!

7. johnnymg

johnnymg TDPRI Member

Anyone have info on the V5/T5 hum fix? Found a couple references to this hum and it might be related to the reverb circuit.

Note: This is not a tube swap issue.

8. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

I just got done spending 2 weeks trying to fix a hum and ended up swapping out a bad cable.

Dumb cable...

9. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

Apologies for necro-ing this thread but...
    Just want to extend my thanks to the OP. I spent an hour or two today running through the vast majority of the mods and my amp now sounds splendiferous! So good in fact I can now use it with my Les Paul and ES, 'twas far too muddy before. My neighbours will be much happier as the Bugera is the only low level practice amp in the house.
    From me, my neighbours and my pending tinnitus. Many thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.