tweaking ceramic humbuckers, what effects when?

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
Hello All.
i know, a question that has been asked often, but i want a overview on this because a lot of info is on internet and my technical english reading is not 100%

I found some china cheap buckers in my drawer that are 7.5Kohm for the neck and 14.6 Kohm for the bridge pickup.
no multi-wires, just hot and ground
have to test them yet, but maybe some here have had some experiences with these kind of pickups, but i would want to understand some tweaks.

1 at first, what pot values to use for volume and tone (think i go LP style) in unaltered state of the pickups
2 These pups have brass covers, what would removing those do to the sound?
i suspect, maybe i am wrong, that with the great difference in Kohm the changes will be different to?
3 the magnet swap i often read about, what would that change soundwise?
4 with question 3, when the covers would be removed ore altered like @rigatele showed in his topic
what would happen than with other magnets?

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
I would just try out the ceramics. Yeah taking the cover off will be a good thing to try. Gibson quite often used 300k pots but 500k is pretty standard. Just for some perspective, in the '70s a 'Hot Rod' kit offered by Alembic allowed you to 'boost' the tone of your PAFs by changing out the Alnico magnets for ceramic ones:
The more driven sound of ceramics were much in demand at the time.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I would just try out the ceramics. Yeah taking the cover off will be a good thing to try. Gibson quite often used 300k pots but 500k is pretty standard.
The more driven sound of ceramics were much in demand at the time.
wasn't it that humbuckers got 500Kohm so the produced more high, the singles had 250Kohm and produced enough high?
i love a nice round clean sound, so its not about more drive, that you can do with a booster pedal etc.

( and i understand that there are so much variables on this subject)

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
wasn't it that humbuckers got 500Kohm so the produced more high, the singles had 250Kohm and produced enough high?
i love a nice round clean sound, so its not about more drive, that you can do with a booster pedal etc.

( and i understand that there are so much variables on this subject)
Yeah but for many years (late '60s onwards) Gibson has used 300k pots at the factory. Why I don't know. Maybe for a warmer sound. If you Google 'Gibson 300k' pots you'll find plenty of stuff to verfiy this. Here's one page I quickly located:

People debate what they prefer endlessly. There were Gibsons including Les Pauls and ES-335s etc that shipped with 300k volumes and 100k tone pots in the early '70s. But yes, 500k humbuckers and 250k singles are pretty standard in most wiring diagrams and seem to be what people often use when wiring their own guitars. All guitars from Asia I have seen also use the 500k and 250k values. I personally use these values in all of my own wiring jobs. I had a Les Paul Standard in the '90s that had 300k pots and it sounded great to me though.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
Yeah but for many years (late '60s onwards) Gibson has used 300k pots at the factory. Why I don't know. Maybe for a warmer sound. If you Google 'Gibson 300k' pots you'll find plenty of stuff to verfiy this. Here's one page I quickly located:

People debate what they prefer endlessly. There were Gibsons including Les Pauls and ES-335s etc that shipped with 300k volumes and 100k tone pots in the early '70s. But yes, 500k humbuckers and 250k singles are pretty standard in most wiring diagrams and seem to be what people often use when wiring their own guitars. All guitars from Asia I have seen also use the 500k and 250k values. I personally use these values in all of my own wiring jobs. I had a Les Paul Standard in the '90s that had 300k pots and it sounded great to me though.
i will try to hook and string it up so i can have a first glimps of what the pups will bring.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
The new Les Paul I got in '76 had 300k volumes and weak, toneless pickups. Changing the pots to 500k helped only a little. Same with my 2011 60s Tribute LP w/ P90s.

I had a junko guitar that came with GFS Crunchy Pats with covers for some reason. Removing those covers was like turning the volume & treble up a couple notches. The cover material makes all the difference and brass is not the right stuff for the job.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
The new Les Paul I got in '76 had 300k volumes and weak, toneless pickups. Changing the pots to 500k helped only a little. Same with my 2011 60s Tribute LP w/ P90s.

I had a junko guitar that came with GFS Crunchy Pats with covers for some reason. Removing those covers was like turning the volume & treble up a couple notches. The cover material makes all the difference and brass is not the right stuff for the job.
I have 3 guitars with the same set of humbuckers. Two of the guitars have the covered version, and the third has the uncovered version. I always thought the uncovered pickups sounded too bright and harsh, but now when I think about it, I set up my amp and modeling stuff based on the other two guitars, so they probably all sound fine but are different enough that amp settings really make a difference.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I have 3 guitars with the same set of humbuckers. Two of the guitars have the covered version, and the third has the uncovered version. I always thought the uncovered pickups sounded too bright and harsh, but now when I think about it, I set up my amp and modeling stuff based on the other two guitars, so they probably all sound fine but are different enough that amp settings really make a difference.
windows was plug and play, the users at last made it into plug an pray ;-)
guitars are plug and play, but you need to tweak to get the best out of them