1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tweaker 15 suddenly got fizzy... please help!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OttoCorrect, Jan 31, 2021.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I’ll try to keep this short, but I’m looking for some advice. I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 head that I love, and recently while having dinner my wife looks over at the amp a couple of times over the course of a minute or two and claims she herd this electronic hiss sound. The amp was off, but it was plugged into a wall outlet. I didn’t hear the sound but she definitely heard something coming from the corner where my amp resides. Next morning she’s out of the house so I take advantage of the solitude to really crank the amp. I have the hot switch on and the gain and volume are both around 1 o’clock and usually that results in a LOUD and nice saturated 80’s metal/evh-ish sound but now it still sounds LOUD but with a lot of broken glass sounding crunchiness going on and horribly fizzy on top of that. I had just put new pickups in a guitar so I swap though a couple of guitars and I’m getting the same new bad sounds and that extra weird fizz regardless of the guitar. So I pull the power tubes and replace them with some spares I have that I know are good, same thing. Next I pull the other three smaller tubes one by one and replace them, trying it out each time, getting slight changes in tone but still the same problematic thing on the hot mode.

Later on I pull it apart to check the board for signs of a cap or something going bad, burning smell, anything visual, etc. and find nothing.

If I switch back to clean nothing really seems different, but I seem to have lost whatever decent sounds I could get out of the hot channel with the gain up enough to really fire up (again, this happens around 1 o’clock on the gain knob) and I have no idea why or what happened.

Any ideas? My internet searches didn’t result in much. At this point my plan is to take it into my local music shop and have them give it a once over.

I’ll try to answer any questions you might have to help me troubleshoot but while I’m a decent tinkerer I’ve never really dug into any amp stuff before now. I love this little amp and want it to sound whole again, please help!

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Did you try a different outlet.

OttoCorrect likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

When my amp was fizzy it was a bad tube.

ce24, OttoCorrect and northernguitar like this.
  4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I did not, I will have to do that. The outlet powers both my amp and my power supply. The clean setting had no perceived change and my pedals all powered up just fine. I’m thinking the outlet is okay but I will still try a different one just in case.

swervinbob likes this.
  5. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The hot channel in the Tweaker also includes a boost circuit that is basically a distortion pedal inside the amp. It’s possible something in that circuit fried if the clean side sounds normal.

OttoCorrect likes this.
  6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

That’s what I was leaning towards also, that something fried in the hot circuit. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start with fixing that myself.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah- the Tweaker has a lot of surface mount components. Probably best to take to an authorized tech if it’s still in warranty.

8. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Mine definitely is not. I should try emailing them though.

Also, I didn’t see too much surface mount when I opened it up.

Speaking of, here’s some gut pics if that helps anyone.
    35DF59E6-0924-4236-8EC8-86AC9D799784.jpeg B424B76F-3F74-414F-B4B4-ECD43985AF50.jpeg 33FD715D-39AE-41EA-A52C-506420C2DBA2.jpeg A78A5815-08E2-41C0-9277-25B94B1DA18E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.