1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Twang on a G&L

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Deckard, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Wry interested in a G&L ASAT Special and was curious as to whether or not it's possible to achieve the classic snap and twang of a tele with a pickup such as the MFD in the Special?

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

To my ears, no. The ASAT Special is a little darker and thicker. Still a great sounding guitar though - definitely worth looking into.

3. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

They seem pretty cool. Was inquiring about the twang factor due to playing in a cover band doing the bar crawl I'm sometimes called on to due the chicken picked thing. The special seems to cover all bases so the multiple guitar hauling could end.

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

The smaller MFD's on the 'classic' can do twang easily.

1:20 he starts playing the ASAT. 2:15 is when he starts making it 'Twang'

The larger MFD's are a tad warmer, but they're not usually overwound, like you'd think with a soapbar style pickup. Thicker, but still very capable of twang, IMO.

here's a comparison of the Soap Bar sized vs the single coil sized MFD's

5. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the link to those videos. I think Alex could play a wet noodle and it would sound awesome.

6. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

The bridge is what provide Twang, yet a Asat Special can Twang.

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

Absolutely! Love the MFDs. They are quieter than Fenders, tone full bass sounds like a Jazzmaster, halfway like a P90 and full treble like a Tele.

8. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I should clarify what I said earlier. I don't think they give you the "classic" Fender twang that a regular single coil in a metal bridge does, but they'll probably get you close enough in a bar.

FWIW, I cover everything I need to with a Tele and a four way switch. Still I think the ASATs and the MDFs sound great.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

The ASAT Classic definitely out twangs the Special, but the Special can still twang. That said, my MIM Tele with Cavelier pickups is what I turn to when I want to twang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.