Twang King vs Chopper T (a.k.a. Richie Kotzen set): does anybody experience difference in volume?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by slidincharlie, Feb 28, 2020.

1. slidincharlie

slidincharlie TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi
    I have recently bought a Squier CV Tele with a DiMarzio Richie Kotzen pickup set on it. This set is made of a Twang King neck p.u. and a Chopper T bridge p.u. (=humbucker).
    I have noted a huge difference in volume between the two pickups. Even though I have raised the neck p.u. and lowered the bridge p.u. as much as I could, the volume difference is very noticeable.
    The neck p.u. is at about 2 mm from the bottom of the strings fretted at the last fret, while the bridge p.u. is as low as I can get with the three adjustment screws.
    Just wondering if there is anything wrong with these pickups. Is there a way to get the bridge pickup lower, maybe with different screws?
    --Carlo

2. slidincharlie

Anyone? :)

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think you could set the bridge pickup lower with longer screws and springs/tubing. It won't be possible to set it lower than the pickup cavity floor will allow, though.

The Chopper bridge seems to have 30% or more output than the Twang King neck. What you're describing corresponds with what I read at the DiMarzio web site about those two pickups.

Usually I find it necessary to adjust the neck pickup to reduce its volume to match the bridge, while you're trying to reduce the volume of the bridge pickup.

Edit: I have no experience with those pickups.

4. slidincharlie

Exactly, since I perceive that the bridge pickup has a much stronger output, at least with the current setup.

5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just bought a Twang King neck to “un-Esquire” a Tele I “Esquired” with a single Chopper T bridge pickup last summer. Hopefully it will go in tomorrow. I LOVE the chopper T - it’s become my favorite Tele bridge pickup ever. I have it wired to switch between normal, split an parallel wiring. Parallel and split are very similar - I use parallel all the time as it is lower output and twangier than the normal wiring - split I don’t use so much.

I prefer a lower output on the neck compared with the bridge on my other guitars , so this combo will probably work well for me. I run on the edge of breakup on the bridge normal position so the sound cleans up when I switch to bridge “parallel” or the neck position.

Jim622 likes this.
  6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Richie Kotzen usually plays with a lot of gain. The more gain the less you'll recognize differences between the pickups.

For clean tones dial in some gain and roll back the volume at the guitar so this should work very good and with less to none volume drop.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have no experience with the Twang Kings, I had a Chopper T in my bridge for around 15 years. I agree with mkdaws32, it really is a great pick up. I recently switched to a pair of Area Ts just for a change of pace. Just a different vibe now. I have a SD 54 in an Esquire build. I am debating on putting the Chopper T in it to really switch up its mojo.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. slidincharlie

Thank you guys. Actually there was about 1 more millimeter available for raising the neck pickup. Now their volume is closer. The Chopper T is still a little bit louder but this, as mkdaws32 said, is acceptable if you switch from neck to bridge for soloing (which is just one possible option, of course), and anyway now it's much more controllable since with a tiny roll-off of the volume knob I can get equal output from either pickup.

9. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

All things being equal, pickups with steel parts are generally louder than pickups with AlNiCo pole pieces, because the steel is more permeable than AlNiCo, the magnetic coupling is stronger and the inductance is higher.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.