1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TV shows with no moral anchors.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

That’s a good example of something that for me walks the line between nifty writing of some interesting characters and big, dumb fun. It does turn to tedium though and I didn’t stick with it the whole run either. For that matter, I didn’t even start it at the beginning. I happened into the room once when my wife had it on and followed it for a while.

On another hand, cornball stuff with relatively simplistic themes and writing can suck me in too. I’m not above Happy Days, Andy Griffith, Sanford and Son, etc. Moods, baby! I gots ‘em.

getbent likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife and I felt that way about Fleabag. After two episodes we both didn't like Fleabag, the main character. On top of that she would lean into camera, mug about and generally chew the scenery. But other friends said they loved the show so we hung in there and eventually liked it. It's a modern show, so yes, the only decent characters are there to be destroyed.

The show was right about the bassoon.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Harry Styron, nojazzhere and ElJay370 like this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Like reality shows are morally redeeming. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Ozark, Bloodlines, Better Call Saul, and a slew of other original feature series are some of the better programming on TV because the characters they develop are human, their actions do have moral repercussions, and the writing is very good. Most network TV programming these days is Jerry Springer bad with no redeeming qualities, no creative writing, and no originality.

RomanS likes this.
  4. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I haven't watched Vikings so I cannot comment. GoT was hard to watch but I just couldn't help myself. What a powerful story!

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I already have a degree in history and spent several years studying it in Europe.

6. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Every show the OP lists, are some of my favorites... I guess you could watch Mr Rogers reruns all day.

You listed Game of Thrones as acceptable, because not EVERYONE was morally bankrupt... There are plenty of characters in the other shows you mention, who are honorable as well.

So I'm confused with your issue.

RomanS likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I Care A Lot was a riveting show. All the while watching it, I kept thinking....."That can't happen.....can it?" Very disturbing.
    And, again won't spoil the ending, but KARMA! ;)

ale.istotle, OmegaWoods and RomanS like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Since this is a morality thread, when I hear this response, we aren't like 8. 8 year olds tell their parents stuff like this. 'Well, Billy did it and he didn't get in trouble' or 'Everyone else does it, why are you yelling at me.'

It doesn't matter. If a person or people do something reprehensible or wrong, it is not mitigated because other people did it too.

This is why the whole Manson family went to prison, they were released just because 'well, Tex did it too'.

Culpability is culpability. It is amplified also when folks take on the pretense of being moral and break with their own code.

So, yeah, I've studied some history and I paid attention when my parents said, 'I don't care that Tommy's mom lets him have his girlfriend spend the night, that doesn't make it okay."

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I mean there have been a few relatively good shows recently. I mean Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation, Rizzoli and Isles, Grounded for Life.

Yeah Rizzoli & Isles has a distinct sense of right and wrong, but it often delves into grey areas quite often. The others are just plain fun, while often having a hidden moral or social message somewhere buried within the interconnected plotlines and jokes.

Now don't get me wrong, older T.V. shows were much better in terms of containing a lesson of some sort that was overt. But that doesn't change that some shows are good.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That was a fascinating, complex series that gets my vote for best drama on TV. It explored the morality of evil, as "moral" isn't a synonym for "good." There was a morality they adhered to in their evil and it was frequently pitted against the morality in a greater evil.

it was a cool show that didn't glorify evil, violence, or regional mob life. It exposed it as mostly the daily drudgery, the hourly jobs of sociopaths that rarely had a happy moment in their lives.

Mexitele Blues and RomanS like this.
  11. Ironwolf

I didn't say what they did was alright. I'm merely pointing out that they were a product of their times and not "special" in their behavior.

Norris Vulcan and Esquire Jones like this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes.
    Also, we're not talking about personal individual responsibility here.
    So there's no need to villify an entire ancient society/heritage

Vikings were awesome
    Vikings are awesome

:cool:

bluemud928 likes this.
  13. getbent

There is the rub, not being special does not mitigate bad behavior. It doesn't matter.

When someone points out 'he beat his wife' and the response is 'it happened a lot back then.' that perceived contextual information does not mitigate the act. There were LOTS of people who weren't doing the same thing. All of the people who were doing the wrong thing should be held to account for their actions. What you wrote serves to excuse.

Phrygian77, drlucky and RomanS like this.
  14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, he unfortunately made a bad decision during a single stand-up routine and made comments that are racist....I'm not sure I believe that he himself is racist however...I think perhaps he got 'swept up' in a moment of improv and made an error in judgement while speaking from a character's voice that wasn't necessarily him that apparently cost him his career. If an actor plays a role that calls for her to say racist things does that make that actor racist? I think the same dynamics apply to someone doing stand-up...they aren't necessarily portraying themselves.

And yes, Larry David is the (im)moral flavour that runs through all of that. I like it personally although I can't take too much 'Curb' at one time because there's just too much yelling and anger/upset constantly.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Moral ambiguity has been a thing in film forever or novels even longer. TV is just catching up. I really don’t understand the point of making another good guy happy ending deus ex machina thing. Plenty of movies and novels that never offer closure. It’s a piece of art, it’s not a parable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  16. Ironwolf

Well then, I guess you can't make any movies or TV shows or write any books about anything or anyone prior to about the 1500s. Not moral and acceptable by 21st century standard, don't you know.

JuneauMike, MickM and blowtorch like this.
  17. blowtorch

That's the Viking way!

:cool:

18. getbent

I think it is a general level of discomfort with watching a narrative and not having a clearly moral protagonist who prevails.

In polite company, when someone tells a story, it is not uncommon for the group to listen but then look at various figures within the group to signal approval. Once given, there will be acclimation. When we watch Golden Girls, the cues are given from the laugh track and the applause and the staging as to when 'the point' is made.

In some modern shows (someone reference shakespeare and lots of great literature has the same ambiguity) the signals are unclear. We love Paulie Walnuts for his loyalty, but we know he has some other significant personal peccadilloes that would make him unpalatable.

So, it is the lack of clear signs and signals of who to support and who to reject.

19. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I don't think anyone has gone so far as to say these shows shouldn't be made (not here, anyway). I know I haven't. I'm just complaining about them on the internet, as is my right.

ale.istotle and getbent like this.
  20. blowtorch

yah. all that historical stuff-canceled :rolleyes::)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.