TV show profiles history of Kustom Amplifers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by foundjoe, Nov 15, 2013.

1. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

This TV program features an interesting profile about entrepreneur Bud Ross and his unlikely success story in kreating the Kustom guitar amplifier company in Kansas City and later, Chanute, Kansas. The amp collections that are featured in the video make me feel like I should have one of these amps. Sorry to say that I don't already have one, especially one that was made in Chanute.

The other two stories in the video are good too about Walt Disney and his time in Kansas City and the Peterson brothers, the latter who produced the "Farmer Style" YouTube video that has 14 million views. If you haven't figured it out, this is a TV show that showcases things related to Kansas.

link to Sunflower Journeys

ETA, the theme song to this TV series is a song by Craig Chaquico of Jefferson Starship fame.

2. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Really interesting doc -- thanks! Incredible how he couldn't tell a cap from a resistor but had the confidence to find out and build a small empire.

Odd that they don't mention John Fogerty/ CCR -- the artist most readily associated with Kustom amps.

3. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting to me; thanks! I'm a Kansas native (Manhattan, and lived in Coffeyville for a while), though I left (with the assistance of my parents) at a very young age. I used to have relatives (and maybe still do) in Chanute, Parsons, Winfield, Arkansas City...

Coincidentally, when I read this thread I had just taken a break from practicing through my Kustom Dart 10. Made in China, not Chanute; the only connections with Bud Ross's company are the name and the $3.50 logo.

4. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

+1 on your observation. I guess these are public TV guys who don't know that much about classic rock. Seeing a young Conway Twitty with a Telecaster was cool though.

5. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have had two Chanute made amps one a tuck & roll bass head and the other a later tolex 1x12 combo. Both were extremely well made and were great for a big clean sound.

6. telemasher

telemasher TDPRI Member

They also made radar units for law enforcement.

7. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I had a funny vision of a highway cop with a big puffy radar gun covered in naugahyde. :eek:

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I lived in Kansas......for a whole year. I had to be at work at 7am.....no problem but the tornado sirens were going off at 4am too many consecutive nights for my taste. I love a good thunderstorm now and then, but those Kansas storms weren't much fun......look at all the postcards at the drug store....they seem to all have tornadoes on them...you know " wound up in Kansas" and cute little sayings like that. Problem is,...is that it was true.

Oh, and the the few other postcards had Wizard of Oz scenes on them.....with tornadoes.

Then you take all the ice storms in the winter and have to drive through them and keep the car on the road at the same time.....it was a long year.

Other than that, I love Kansas.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had the same thought, flyswatter.
    A big, puffy, green sparkle radar gun.

10. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Thanks to the Wizard of Oz, Kansas gets the bad rap on tornadoes. It's become an iconic symbol, yet despite living here for at least 50 years, I've never seen one in person. Plenty of other states get tornadoes, including some of the most devastating tornadoes of all-time, such as Joplin, Mo., Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Moore, Okla., to name a few. This isn't to say that Kansas doesn't get tornadoes, but it's a big state geographically, so it's bound to see more tornadoes than some of the smaller states. The ice storms can be pretty bad, but I've run into some bad ice situations in Texas and Oklahoma too. In Texas, people don't know how to handle it when they're driving. But, as this Kustom Amp story shows, there are some other good things that have come out of this state. It's too bad they don't still make those amps here. I like the idea of MIK meaning Made in Kansas, instead of Made in Korea.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Kansas has so much open land that there's a lot of twisters that touch down without getting any press. Eastern Colorado is the same way. A whole town got wiped out in central Kansas within the last five years.

I lived near Paola, east of there in a town called Louisburg, a mile or two from the Missouri boarder. In 2007, I saw a tornado from a huge system that come up from the south.

My wife worked at a bank and all the employees were locked in the vault and not allowed to leave. That left my son to have to fend for himself at home. I was at work, 20 miles to the west and the only way home was to drive straight into the storm system coming up from the south. All the way home I was listening to the radio and it kept repeating that if you live in Miami country, especially Paola, , Louisburg, Bucyrus, Cleveland... to take cover as the storm was coming up from the south following Hwy 69. They said clearly that this storm was spitting out tornadoes and capable of producing a large one.

Take cover ?!

Where? There was NO PLACE to take cover, just all open field and I had to drive right into it to get home and be with my kid.

So I got home just before the storm hit. A saw a tornado from the living room window touched down on farmland about 1/4 north. That wasn't much fun, too close to home for me. The hail on the roof sounded like small boulders being dropped from a giant wheel barrow. Tornado siren blasting.. anytime day or night..and that became almost a daily worry. I asked one of my co workers if they ever get used to it. She said "no". I had saw a tornado a year earlier, just a month after we moved in, but this one we saw from the highway as we were driving home from Oletha.

It amazes me that they build new homes without basements, like the house we rented.
    To drive the county roads in that area, you will see little stretches of old towns and houses that were completely gutted by tornadoes that were never re-settled. It looked like a bombed out war zone.

I got my substitute teaching license in Kansas and had an opportunity to work in several school districts, from the KC area and south. The further south I got from KC, the more I enjoyed the schools, the faculty and especially the kids. There are wonderful people in Kansas, further away from Overland Park the better......LOL. ...sorry if you live in Overland Park...just a joke....sort of . Johnson County I didn't care much for.

I really enjoyed the people in Louisburg and Paola. The weather? no.

12. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

That video was even more interesting than expected. Thanks.

13. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

Great find.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.