1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tv jones

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by J.Chinn, Jun 5, 2013.

1. J.Chinn

J.Chinn TDPRI Member

I have a telecaster that I'm building an have been looking at tv jones. I want to try something a little different this tele. Is a magna tron by tv jones with a single coil tele pickup for the neck position a good combination? Would there be a better tv joes to you use or a better brand?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love TV Jones pickups!
    I think the Magnatron may overpower your
    Tele neck pickup.
    Maybe not, depends on your set up.
    I'm not a fan of stock Tele neck pickups.
    If you do opt for a T style neck pickup, Rio Grande Muy Grandes
    sound great, IMO.

3. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a perfectly fine combination to me. As mentioned above, the only thing you may need to account for is the possibility of the Magnatron overpowering the tele neck pickup when used in combination. It is something you will want to consider when looking at neck pickups. Or, since I see you are building this guitar, you may consider an independent volume control for the bridge pickup.

4. J.Chinn

J.Chinn TDPRI Member

Are you saying that the magnatron would have too high of output? or how would it overpower it? I still need to buy the pickups so is there a better tv jones to use? and would there be a good tele neck pickup to go with it that would also keep a good tele sound?

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's what I'm saying.
    Magnatrons sound good, but I am (very) partial to Classics,
    Classic +, and Supertrons.
    I personally find most Tele neck pickups weak sounding.
    I like Rio Grande Muy Grandes because they sound fuller
    and slightly louder than stock.
    I think its a good idea to balance the output of your
    pickups.
    Sometimes simple height adjustment(s) work.

6. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

No experience with Magnatrons, but I do have some Filtertron/tele experience. I recently put a Gretsch High Sensitive Filtertron (alnico magnet) in the neck of a tele, and changed the volume pot to 500k. The HS Filtertron is pretty close to a TV Classic, and measured 4.1 DC. I thought it overpowered my single coil in the bridge and was darker than I liked. I played one gig with it and took it out, and put in a Gretsch "Blacktop" Filtertron instead, and at that time also changed the tone pot to 500k. The Blacktop measures 4.25 DC and has a ceramic magnet. It very similar in output and tone to the HS Filtertron, but seems slightly brighter than the HS Filtertron, although this may in part be to the tone pot change. It also overpowers the bridge pup but because I adjusted it lower and its a little brighter, it seems to work a little better.

7. J.Chinn

J.Chinn TDPRI Member

So do you guys think a muy grande in the neck and a magnate in the bridge would sound good? Would a classic sound better?

8. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

If it were me, I'd put a Lollar Vintage T in the bridge position and either a TV Classic or Magna'Tron in the neck position with pots at 250k and 4 way switching.

9. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

You're one TV Jones away from a Cabronita....just take the plunge.

10. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Agreed, I switched my Cab up to Powertrons, and I'm not looking back.

11. J.Chinn

J.Chinn TDPRI Member

Is there something wrong with a tv jones/single coil set up? And why the tv jones in the neck over the bridge?

12. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong at all. Either will work. I like the humbucker in the neck and single in the bridge for rounder, fat, neck tones and twange and chime bridge tones, but that's just my preference. Probably because my fist tele was a 75 Custom with a WRH in the neck and a single coil in the bridge.

13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i had a pair of the filtertrons in my thinline for a number of years. really liked the way both positions sounded. humbuckers lack the focus of a good single coil though. even the filtertrons, which are very clear sounding pickups, can't quite pull off the way a good tele pickup sounds. i've since circled back to single coils and have my filtertrons sitting in the parts box for now

14. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

I really like the mix with a SLIGHTLY hotter tele bridge and a stock filtertron (think classic). One thing to consider is your pot choices. Filtertrons like a 500k. Many consider them too dark with 250k. Your tele bridge may be a bit too bright with a 500k as they like 250s. I like to use a slightly hotter, more middy bridge and 500k pots. I end up with a happy filtertron and a brighter tone from the bridge, bringing it right back into tele range. Lollar specials and Fralin blues are my personal favorites, and a DMZ Pre-B1 will get the job done nicely for half the bucks. I've tried P90s,minis, weak PAFs and just about everything else in my teles and this is my favorite combination.

15. agdtec

agdtec TDPRI Member

Do you think you might want to sell them?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.