TV Jones T-Armonds (quick review)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ruger9, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

They are in a Cabronita thinline... 500K pots. And I LOVE them. I had T-90s in it before, and they are also great, especially for rock sounds, but the T-Armonds are big, fat, clear, lovely, sounding pickups. Like a fat tele. (The T-90s were like a fat DIRTY tele lol).

Nice thick highs on the plain strings, and piano-like lows on the wound strings. Think Jim Campilongo and Duke Levine. They are actually very similar to regular tele pickups, but with less icepick on the bridge, which I love. If you want your Cabronita to sound more like a tele, get the T-Armonds.

i like them with a little gain, like an overdrive pedal to help them amp be a little pushed... but I'm not really digging them for higher gain, or even rock, sounds. That's ok- I have other guitars for that. Not saying they don't sound good, I just prefer the other guitars over the T-Armonds. But for gorgeous clean and semi-dirty tones, the T-Armonds are very hard to beat.

Cabronita T-Armonds.jpg

BlueCajun, lupowitz, arlum and 6 others like this.
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the review. AlNiCo or Ceramic ?

ruger9 likes this.
  3. ruger9

I think all of TVJ's pickups are alnico. These certainly are- because they are magnet RODS (the pole pieces)... can you even machine ceramic like that?

Teleterr likes this.
  4. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Cool picture both guitar and amp. They make a perfect couple.

ruger9 likes this.
  5. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

That is spectacular.

ruger9 likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

DeArmonds are amongst my favorite PUs. The fact they look so cool is a nice bonus too.
    Good idea to put them on a Cabronita!

ruger9 likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the review!

ruger9 likes this.
  8. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

I recently swapped out a Gretsch blacktop filtertron for tv jones t-armonds in the neck position and loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

5AD33B07-5FA3-45C5-B7A4-EA24A5E1D130.jpeg I’m a fan. The neck has since been swapped to a T Armond as well.

missfortune, ruger9 and BorderRadio like this.
  10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive been dreaming of the day i can get my hands on a guitar with DeArmonds!!!

ruger9 likes this.
  11. ruger9

Nice! I actually really like the T-90s, did you? I just wanted something "more tele" and "less Les Paul Junior". I actually think a T-90 in the BRIDGE with a T-A in the neck would be a great combo. But the T-A bridge is no slouch!

Well, these of course are TV Jones T-Armonds, and he has a few different sizes, so you can get your Dearmond "fix" with any guitar that accepts: soapbar P-90s, Filtertrons, or top-mount Dearmonds... it doesn't have to be an actual "Dearmond loaded guitar" to get it done!

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Got T-Armonds in my Jet, and found I really needed 1meg pots to get them to sparkle nicely. Might be different with a longer scale length and tele bridge plate though.

sparkle.jpg

ruger9 likes this.
  13. ruger9

Man, those sparkle Jets are something else. I could see that if you are looking for Gretsch sparkle/jangle... I'm not, I'm looking for more traditional tele sounds. So I could see the 1M pots being better for you, and the 500Ks being better for me. It all works! Man, that thing is gorgeous!

My 500K tone pot is a no-load, so if I turn it all the way up, it's actually the same as having (2) 1M pots....

Interestingly, my favorite Gretsch tones are from Brian Setzer... and he does not have a "traditional" "Great Gretsch Sound" like the Duane Eddys, Eddie Cochrans, and Cliff Gallups did... Setzer is decidedly more "rock" than that, he doesn't really have quite the same sparkle as the other guys who have made Gretsch famous.

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

yup! But I need a guitar that can either fit any of those. I currently have two 60’s vintage spec teles so no room for any T-Armonds/DeArmond pickups!!! Hehehehe

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.