1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TV Jones T-Armond, Analysis and Review

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Antigua Tele, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

http://www.tvjones.com/t-armond-pickups.html

[​IMG]

This is TV Jones Filter'tron sized DeArmond knock-off. It features six large AlNiCo pole pieces, which appear to be AlNiCo 5, which can be individually raised and lowered with the little screws that are seen beside the pole pieces.

I feel that these pickups are a little too dark for my liking. They are "hot" pickups by most standards, and are in league with pickups such as the Seymour Duncan SSL-4 or SSL-5 for inductance and resonant peak. I'm not sure how the T-Armonds compare to the DeArmonds in that respect, it might be the case that the original DeArmonds were "hot" pickups as well. The neck and bridge together sound pretty nice, as that raises their resonant peak enough to make for a good clean response.

TV Jones T-Armond Bridge

Resistance: 11.91k ohms
    Inductance: 4.513H
    Gauss: 800 - 950

Unloaded: dV: 3.3dB f: 5.00kHz (black)
    Loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 0.9dB f: 2.30kHz (red)

TV Jones T-Armond Neck

Resistance: 8.27k ohms
    Inductance: 2.964H
    Gauss: 800 - 950

Unloaded: dV: 2.5dB f: 5.42kHz (green)
    Loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 0.6dB f: 2.83kHz (gray)

Bode plot:

[​IMG]

The 3dB rise in the unloaded resonant peak, and the slight bump in the loaded peak, but otherwise flat response places these pickups in the company of a covered PAF style humbucker, with respect to eddy current losses.

The peak and curves come pretty close to the DiMarzio PAF Master neck, but due to the numerous physical differences, these sound nothing like a DiMarzio PAF Master neck.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brookdalebill, basdenchris and CFFF like this.
  2. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

What guitar have you got that in? Looks beautiful. Like one of the Japanese cabronita style thinlines.

basdenchris likes this.
  3. Antigua Tele

4. unseen hand

unseen hand Tele-Meister

I just created a post asking about these..

I didn't realize they where that hot, I generally prefer lower wind pickups.

I was looking for something p90ish but with a little more articulation. I'm also interested in hearing more of the wood from the guitar as opposed to the pickups.

Would you be able to comment on the tone? Especially in the neck position? I'm also considering a Goldfoil and possibly mini humbucker. Thx

5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Very cool. The inductance isn't outrageous, but the bridge is definitely in the range of a vintage PAF, and either pickup could be in "hot" Tele pickup territory. The eddys and inductance really do put them in Gibsonesque territory for anything above 3 kHz.

unseen hand likes this.
  6. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

Resurrecting an old thread, I know... I'm planning a pickup replacement on the exact same guitar. Totally just happened across this thread while searching for info about the T-Armonds, and was pretty excited to see someone else had already done the same thing.

Has your impression changed at all since your initial post? Do you even still have the pickups in the guitar? I played a Gretsch Black penguin with Gretch's Dynasonics today, and I absolutely loved them. Super punchy! I think they'll be great in this guitar, but any additional insight would be fantastic!

7. Antigua Tele

One thing that has changed since I analyzed these is that I discovered how much hotter and darker P-90's are. The loaded resonant peak of Filter'trons is in the 4kHz range, typical Tele pickups is in the 3kHz range, these measured around 2.3kHz for the bridge and 2.8kHz for the neck, and P-90's are even lower, at around 2.0kHz. It goes to show that a lot of guitarists can enjoy hot, dark pickups for cleans, despite what they claim. These are clearer than P-90's, but darker than typical Tele pickups, and much darker than Filter'trons.

I don't know how the T-Armond compares to the Gretch Dynasonics, they might not have the same inductance values. Historically with pickups they weren't even targetting a specific inductance, they would just make the bobbin so big, and then wind until it was rather full, and you got what you got, so without knowing the inductance of the Dynasonics, or at least the DC resistance, it's hard to know how they will compare.

BorderRadio and Derek Kiernan like this.
  8. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

Well, that gives me more to go on than I had, anyway. Thanks for the response! I haven't hit the button on these pickups yet (lots of gear purchases to make; I have to prioritize them somehow), but I'm really excited to get ahold of them and get them in my guitar. I'm trying to get something closer to a classic Tele sound, but with enough unique character to still sound different from a garden variety Telecaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.