TV is my friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, May 1, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

good books will speak to you...

what pops up on google is curated, but the 1st 10 or so links are advertising or subsidized.
    so merely scroll past those, this isn't rocket science, anyone who knows how to use a web browser should know how to find actual information and not subsidized links.

google is not the only search engine, but it has become a verb for search. when I say google I mean search. learn how to actually phrase a meaningful query, you can use keywords to include and minus keywords to exclude, you can use colon to search specific domains. ie :tdpri.com and exclude all others. You can do reverse image searches.

none of these tools are available on tv to narrow your search. TV is broadcasting, it throws a wide net of shallow depth. The only reason tv exists is to sell you something. any information you may receive is the worm on the hook.

It is difficult to discuss television with people who don't even analyze what the medium, is, why it exists, what is used for..etc.

most folks are consumers, they think television is the show they are watching and don't have the tools, or the desire to understand anything beyond the scan lines bouncing off their retinas. and any critcism of the medium is of course perceived as an attack on their choices in life which puts people in a defensive posture and turns off their abilities to understand as they are to busy formulating a defensive argument to preserve their favored sacrament and point of view.

I am lucky, I was born before tv was ubiqitous and understand how the world was before 24/7 tv, internet etc. Entertained to death is an appropriate description of modern culture.

any knowledge you derive from television is incidental and was likely not intentional.
    Television is a system designed to propagate programming, be it social, propaganda, capitialism, fast food, social justice, building support for the latest war, destroying the narrative of the last war, or convincing you, you need x,y and z to fix the problems in you life and to keep up with your celebrity favorites.

but you just see it as a fun interesting program on how japanese beetles mate. That is intentional, if you are aware of the tangential and direct manipulation going on you will be harder to manipulate.

its just TV, why do you think the general population is so passive?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    John Nicholas likes this.
  2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, even a "dumb" TV can do that.

schmee likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

an agenda is not a bad thing, as long as one is aware of it, and can filter the information with that knowledge and awareness. The problem with television is most people don't even bother to filter, they absorb like a sponge without realizing they are even doing it.

it can be subliminal like product placement, it can be tone and it can be what is omitted, but its all manipulation occuring below the level of consciousness most employ when watching television.

I can easily reread a paragraph and analyze it and decide if its true, needs more research or is an outright lie. Television offers none of those options, its a fire hose keeping you saturated and unable to differiante, between the truth and the many shades of lieing.

Books come with footnotes and those provides paths to other sources of the information to judge its validity and context.

television has no context and that is deliberate. The education system has been destroyed and few even have the tools to validate the information or propaganda they receive and without the ability to distinguish one from the other, they are effectively the same.

thats intentional, you can argue reasons, but the general stupidity of the population cannot be denied. Florida man will soon be a brand of products, which people will be proud to own because of all the brave stupid things Florida Man does. Peer presssure is a tool of social media and television. why do they call it "keeping up with the Kardishans"? what are the various meanings of "Keeping up" ? could that have been intentional?

life is short, tv is an ineffective means of receiving meaningful information. Books have been used for centuries effectively, perhaps give them another try....

John Nicholas and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. magicfingers99

but the things they say will be quite different. words are not all equal, nor mediums of communication.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm gonna file this valuable information over here under:

Magicfingers:

Opinion.

PS:

Magicfingers "agenda" was readily apparent.

Bassman8 likes this.
  6. magicfingers99

very meta...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. flathd

Whoaa... Twins 8, Astros 1.... I can hear my TV talkin' to me, loud and clear.

8. magicfingers99

let the sleepers sleep so the rest of the world can move about unseen.
    enjoy the game, we now return you to your scheduled programming...

flathd likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I can only return the compliment sir! :D

magicfingers99 likes this.
  10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”TV is my friend”

Not directly judging anyone...afterall, I like my bits of the beast. Yesterday, I celebrated my 6th year of cable TV cancelation. Can’t even be bothered to get an antena to access a handful of free TV channels...I get my fix while visiting my father or going out to watch sports

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I can't get an antenna to pick up anything other than PBS where I live; it's crazy. Plus the way cable packages are sold is ridiculous! I'm sure there are reasons for it, but why can't I just buy a handful of channels that I select? It's like "No, the menu is either crusty bread and water, or fish and chips, or filet mignon."

12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

never was big TV watcher..would rather do something..create..music..work in shop, finding things along the road or in trash & bring em back to life. 3 years ago wife suffered a real serious brain injury.then last year we got creamed by a dui driver sitting parked(2&3rd serious brain injury) basically our LR is her domain..TV is all she has..have to watch some shows 5 times in a row, cause she has no memory retention..but its ok,,not much she can do yet..not even to the physical therapy part of process yet..Netflix has provided some nice series watching. I had to put most of my gear in master so i can be close...she is a singer & yet cant really listen to music or be n bright lights..been a rough 3 years. A very alive -vibrant young lady has been semi snuffed out of life as she knew it. She would trade that TV in right now to be able to just go back to normal

magicfingers99 likes this.
  13. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Would you believe I have the exact opposite problem? PBS is very sketchy here, so I need to invest in a better antenna, as it is about the only broadcast network I care about.

SolidSteak likes this.
  14. flathd

I don't know how your reception is, but I get about 25 channels with a cheap $10 indoor antenna. There's a pretty good OTA station that shows old gangster/noir movies.

Last night there was the movie "Kansas City Confidential", with a very young Lee Van Cleef as gangster Tony Romano. (1952)

lee-van-cleef.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    SolidSteak likes this.
  15. flathd

I used to live in a heavily wooded area, and I got terrible reception. I got a flat "spring mattress" type outdoor antenna and it worked great. That was about 10 years ago, so I'm sure there are better indoor types now.

16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I might have to take another look at what's available. I am like 40 miles from the nearest transmission tower though, requiring a 30-foot aerial to get even "moderate" reception.

17. magicfingers99

try "under the silver lake" for a modern noir film...

flathd likes this.
  18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

What makes listening to a book, so much more valuable than listening to a TV show?
    It is far better to watch or listen to one of David Attenborough’s Science shows that to read about it.
    It’s far better to watch Travel Shows than reading travel stories.
    The TV takes you places and shows you things that a book would be a poor substitute.
    The attitude that reading is superior to watching is condescending and pure self aggrandizement, imo.

d barham and SolidSteak like this.
  19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I’m over in Raincouver, dealing with an entirely different playing field...thanks
    Film Noir/TCM/”Angel Eyes”, are amongst my favourites!

flathd likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

Really?

do you know how a book is made into a screenplay? Do they add more stuff or do they strip away? THe average theatrical screenplay is 70 pages.

Can you read faster than someone can speak? if you can, you can in the same period of time, read more than you can watch.

assuming both medium represented the same amount of information
    you would get there faster with the book. But of course books contain more information than the video representations, so you not only get more information faster, but you also get more information total.

plus like vinyl albums, not all books have been made into cds, dvds and streaming video. so you are limited in what you get how much you get and you have to sit through commercials, fbi warnings, up coming attractions and lord knows how many other distractions.

if you really think TV gives you more information, better than alternative sources, than you should stick to TV as your powers of observation are obviously more suited to a medium that present everything to you rather than having to make an effort on your own.

John Nicholas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.