TV is my friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, May 1, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I also love TCM, and since I'm in such poor health, many days TV is my only human interaction, besides guitar forums, 'cause it's very hard for me to go out.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

and at least your not defensive about it....

d barham likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

just keep telling yourself that and you'll be okay...

4. magicfingers99

try an mp3 player with audio books, or streaming audio. I recommend Soma.fm

http://somafm.com/

you can listen to something and do something else, if you watch tv you can only eat or have sex.

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

I fear some of the posters on this board, may actually be bears trying to suss out our habits so they can just happen to run into us somewhere.

and how do they get every picnic basket before dark. thats nearly omnipotent to be able to exercise that skill level..

d barham and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. magicfingers99

and no matter how nice you are to them, they won't loan you money..

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. magicfingers99

you're reasoning powers are likely a product of your learning choices. TV is the least effective way to transmit information, as it is currently done. Tv is passive and one way, it only sends things down to you. you cannot respond or comment or ask questions.

everything you watch on television has a viewpoint, that they are selling and they will exclude,obfuscate or outright lie about anything that would impede or negate that message they are selling.

if you are truley curious, open a book, google things, and learn how to apply logic and discretion to the things you read and hear. You can learn more reading a book than watching tv, minute for minute of time utilized.

There are some people that are proud they watch tv, they are some people that are proud they don't. I don't really think of it in those terms. to me its more like smoking cigarettes, I used to smoke. I quit. I don't care if people smoke or don't smoke and I don't feel proud because I don't smoke, I'm just glad I don't smoke anymore.

most people (myself included) are products of inertia, we will continue to do what we always do, unless some greater force causes us to change our trajectory.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I genuinely appreciate your enthusiasm for learning and reading, but I find it hard to follow your reasoning powers and logic:

1. Things that transmit information one way, passively, are less effective.
    2. TV is passive and one way
    3. Therefore, TV is less effective at transmitting information.
    But... books are also passive, one way! You can't ask a book questions! In fact, so is art! And music (for the most part)!

1. Things that have a viewpoint are bad.
    2. Everything on TV has a viewpoint.
    3. Therefore, everything on TV is bad.
    But... people have viewpoints! Are people bad? Books are written by people with viewpoints! Are books bad? How is it possible to not have a point of view?

There are plenty of plausible reasons for wanting to curtail or avoid excessive TV watching, or even specific types of TV programming. But I don't think either of these hasty generalizations are plausible. It seems that somehow I am able to apply logic and discretion despite my proclivity for enjoying TV!

boredguy6060 and Bassman8 like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

As I said, I read about 20 or more books a year. But...Your books are talking back to you? Where do you get those?
    BTW, you can do Books, TV, Google! Yes it's possible! I would say Google is by far the least reliable though. Talk about agendas, what pops up on Google is what is seen the most or makes the most money!

Bassman8 and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I was once a voracious reader of all things book. History books, novels, anything I could get my hands on. Then one day I figured out that no matter what I was reading, I was getting a dose of what posters on this thread say television does to you. In short, the author is pedaling an agenda, but it is cleverly woven into whatever subject he is writing about, or in the case of novels his own created world. I quit reading pretty much for entertainment save for the internet, which is mostly entertainment no matter what is written there for pretty much the same reasons I stated about books. People can't help themselves, they always an agenda, and it must be forced upon the world at all cost.

11. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

Im a Blue Bloods binge watcher.

12. Toto'sDad

I used to hunt bears with hounds. Like Valdez in the movie of the same name, but that was before I knew better. You just never know what a bear is going to do, whether he will run from you, or towards you. If it's the latter, you had better be prepared. For such big beasts, they can move at unbelievable busts of speed. Now those other Bears, they have been breaking my heart ever since that great season in 1985!

13. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Just think for a moment, without TV we wouldn't have ever had TV dinners.

The economy would have tanked and we would couldn't read about it in the newspaper, because no one could afford a subscription. And, I would've lost my newspaper route, my first "real" job.

That's why TV is my friend.

14. Toto'sDad

My favorite.

[​IMG]

flathd likes this.
  15. flathd

These aren't too bad.

hungry man tv dinner.jpg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. flathd

Trivia question. Who invented the TV?

Leo Fender....he had a Tele vision. :rolleyes:

OK, time to move on...

Toto'sDad and BigDaddyLH like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

flathd likes this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

As a kid I would get up at 5AM Saturday mornings and watch the indian test pattern until cartoons came on at 6AM. I'd watch until 10:30 or 11:00. I remember one day thinking that a good Saturday was going to waste. I should be outside. I did watch a lot of monster movies however.

Upon marriage there was no TV in the house for 5 years, until baby arrived and wife wanted one. I liked Miami Vice. After the three kids were grown the TV was discarded once again.

Now we have Netflix but nothing else. I watch with my wife, but if she is out, it never gets turned on. Except when the 6 Y/O grand daughter is here. ;)

19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I would cut the cord and just keep a streaming service, if I could figure out a way to watch live sports. Everything else is available on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

That'd be the "TV is dumb" thread.

Dumb and friend are not mutually exclusive.

TV can be dumb and a friend. No problem there.I have plenty of dumb friends!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.