TV is my friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, May 1, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know anything at all about bees or fish in the sea, but I can tell you for certain you can't trust a bear!

boredguy6060 and magicfingers99 like this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I do know (mostly young) people who get all their video input on other devices and these people are so exhausted of looking at screens by later in the day, they don't watch TV like people born before 1990 do. I think.

So on one hand, people are more isolated than they've been in years as they interact by screen. No hugs, please. But the size and type and location of the screen seems to be moving away from the typical TV just as people don't do the big screen movies in the USA as much IMO as they used to. A few big blockbusters but "lesser" movies are struggling according to what I see.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think bears just like to mess with me. We're hiking backcountry in Montana, and a bear has overturned a "waterbar" looking for grubs and etc. So we replace the bar and move along. Much later we retrace our footsteps and the mischievous bear has turned the large timber back over again. But you don't see him. He's there, and he's happy to have you sweat a little.

We've been almost too lucky, so far. Every time we come face to face with a bear, he chooses to turn and develop some additional space between us and him. I don't trust him but I do respect him.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I disagree with the premise/subject of this thread. TV ain't no one's friend.

It keeps you inactive, it dulls your mind, and it wastes your most precious commodity

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To some, the TV WAS our parents. Mom/dad working while us latchkeys would make our way to & from school only to be calmed down from our hellish day at school by the radiated blur of rays emanating from the box.

To be fair, I spent a lot of time outside riding, baseball, friends. I'm thankful I didn't grow up with all this tech noise around me. I'd have succumbed to it as easily.

I'm of the mind that when a person mentions "tv" it's still the 3 channels broadcast for free. Anything other is/was "cable", which we couldn't afford for very long.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'm amazed at what I learn on TV. Sure I understand cheesy shows and how bad some are. But there are some great shows too as well as all the science, nature and history stuff I find out from TV. I also read maybe 20 books a year.
    There are some people that are proud of not watching TV at all. Frankly when I hear that. I think for many of them: "boy, they aren't learning much"

trev333 likes this.
  7. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

As a kid we used to play war, dig up the backyard, and watch Steve Allen live from Hollywood, Hans Conried and Buster Keaton. We played football, baseball and basketball and watched Hawaii Five-O.

Now. my TV tells me “Google Play has stopped working”. I do not give my TV access to the internet continually lest it spy on me.

I prefer YouTube people like Misha Charoudin (Nurburgring Nordshlife), Blancolirio channel and Xpert Thief (GTA V)...

magicfingers99 likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Bears are very unpredictable. Just when you think you have them figured out they throw something new at you.

9. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

I'm not obese. I have real human friends. Your Avatar picture is a TV character. I'm not constantly comparing myself to anybody. And another thing, I use a 'My Pillow' and it's awesome. Gotta go, my show's coming on.

flathd likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It is like anything else, you get used to having it or get used to not having it....can go either way.

I grew up on tv and was amazed when the satelite systems were introduced. In fact, a good friend of mine's father sold those systems in my part of the world and we would watch it on a large projection screen at the sales demo office on weekends. It was amazing what you could find on those things compared to the 3 networkds and the snowy station on public tv. As I grew older it was always on in the background if nothing else. My pets liked it one when I was at work and I liked it on when I was studying even though I wasn't really watching it.

Fast forward many years, I dropped cable service in my area after the American Movie Classics channel featured a "Police Academy" marathon and some Ted Turner colorized versions of real classics.....the channel was dead to me after that and was the main station that I watched. Then when the government required the change to digital signals, I dumped tv altogether and started listening to radio dramas instead. Found out that I really didn't miss tv at all. As the years past by, I missed it even less to the point that it now disgusts me when I am at my relatives house and see how everybody is glued to it 24/7. Nobody can have a conversation in the room without getting the librarian treatment so they don't miss every line of some crappy reality show.

I will still throw on a classic film or even watch some old tv show collections that I have ("Magnum PI", "MASH", "Barney Miller") but I do not miss the tv nor the high cost of cable.

magicfingers99 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Warning: TV may lead to pregnancy or "My Pillow" purchases.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Milspec likes this.
  12. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

TV FTW!

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I love tv...

and books, and the internet, and magazines and blogs and... I like information and entertainment... and I use it the way I want...

14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

WTF? Can't people just say they watch TV and other people be okay with it? This thread reminds me of the Eric Clapton threads where if you say you think he's over rated, people respond with lectures on why you are wrong. And there is such a thing as watching a little TV, it's not just all or nothing.

15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I only watch teevee when I'm alone or with somebody.

16. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

Sports, Frontline, Seinfeld reruns, that's about it for me.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

TV can be your "friend" if you live on your own- although there isn't much on unless you have pay TV ( which I don't).

18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  19. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

tv my friend too...

d barham likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I love TV, always have. I watch a lot of old series from the 50s and 60s on the oldies networks, all types, dramas, sitcoms, westerns, and game shows. I used to love the old what's My Line with John Charles Daley, Bennet Cerf, Arlene Francis, and Dorothy Kilgallen, but the Game Show Network isn't showing it anymore.
    I love the 70s stuff too, like Rockford, Kojak, Columbo, McMillan, and McCloud. Also Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, and Mannix, every night on METV.

d barham and John Nicholas like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.