TV is my friend

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, May 1, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The family Dumont (TV) broke that one last time. My (engineer) Dad finally decided he was done repairing it. He consulted with Mom and they decided, their young family would be raised without TV. It was 1962.

What I want to communicate to you was how cruel my classmates and some of the neighbor kids were, to my siblings and me. Every kid who had self image problems saw an opportunity to attack and to tease.

So, please, get a grip on yourself.

TV is a lot like alcohol. It is super easy to find yourself consuming too much. So, if someone aspires to cut the cable or decides not to buy a TV set for this residence or that one, give them credit for trying to clean up. I don't actually find recovering alcoholics to act all that superior, but I think they'd have that right if they did. Strong people get my attention and my praise and people who stay knocked down, well, they don't get either.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

3. SolidSteak

"Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television"

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  4. SolidSteak

I think since streaming has become so ubiquitous it can be a shock when a program is actually interrupted by a commercial. That has been my experience and my only complaint anyway. Commercials suck, but I just reach for the mute button and wait like I used to before Netflix.

Television has become competitive with film again! Some actors who maybe before used to prefer acting in films will now jump at the chance to do a clever Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, or AMC series.

I can't wait until Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, and Mr. Robot come back later this summer! In the mean time I am really digging the HBO series Barry, and checking out Pine Gap as per a recommendation here on TDPRI. My productivity is as unaffected as always. I suppose if I were to stop watching television I would somehow cure cancer? Meh.

Wildcard_35 and d barham like this.
  5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am not sure how to take your response. You are usually thoughtful and respectful so I am inclined to not be offended, but rather curious.

My take was in no way a criticism of those that do not watch TV, whatever their reason. It was about those non TV watchers that chime in on the TV
    show thread and say "all you TV watchers suck, go read a book" (paraphrasing of course)

So I can get a grip, I know I am not above critique. I have to be honest, your point went over my head. :(

Bassman8, boris bubbanov and d barham like this.
  6. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

I enjoy television, though I prefer films, even at home. The evolution of long-arc narrative television has been great.

7. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Agreed, but there is a big difference between saying "I do not like TV" and saying "TV is dumb"... but that's just me.

8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Ha! Is the pendulum swinging back in favor of owning a television?

Skamania and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was a small child living on a share croppers farm, we had no electricity, we heated and cooked with wood, and had a hand pump well in the front yard and carried water into the house for any and all things that required water. We had an outdoor toilet that did not encourage reading war and peace while you were in there, but rather the book would have come in handy for another purpose. My dad had a radio that had a huge battery in it that with carful use would last almost a year listening to our once a week listening to the Grand Ol' Opry. At Christmas time we listened to the parade in Sheffield. That usually finished the battery off for the year.

At around the age of nine I discovered the magic of radio. I scrounged every garbage can in every back alley in the small town I lived in to come up with a radio of my own, I asked everyone I came across if they had any old tubes, and scrounged for them everywhere. It's a wonder I wasn't electrocuted many times over fiddling with them. The nights were filled with the adventures of Boston Blackie, and numerous other far away places for me. The music wafting through the airwave lulled me to sleep.

I was thirteen years old before we had a television. My mother had remarried and we finally got a television. A proud beauty it was! A 17 inch B&W 1958 Zenith table mode that sat on a rot iron stand, with an antennae leaned up outside the house. Winning a new car would have maybe been the equal to that television. For those of you who think they would love living off the grid, with the notable exception of Obsessed, I think most of you could not wait to get back on the grind of modern day civilization given the opportunity if you did so.

I like air-conditioning, I like comfortable houses, I like king sized beds, I like television, stereo, refrigerators, microwaves and a comfortable easy chair. I like having a nice clean, reliable car (beats the hell out of a horse drawn wagon, and I KNOW that for sure) that I can go where I want to when I want to. I like having guitars and amplifiers, I LOVE playing golf. I like the internet where you can come and bag on those who do not hold your own personal views! :D

10. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

But we can agree that golf on tv is kinda dumb, isn't it? You can't even see the ball! :D

Skamania and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I watch plenty of TV, best I can anyways.
    I’ve been hooked on British humor since the 70’s following my first trip to England.
    Are you being served? Benny Hill, Keeping up Appearances, got me hooked.
    I know it’s not for every one, but it is for me.
    I also watch British crime shows, nobody does a good murder like the British.
    I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, STARZ, Showtime, so I’m not starved for content.
    I definitely like TV.

d barham likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

It doesn't seem to prevent some golfers from finding it sitting up in a good lie right next to a water hazard or out of bounds stake though! :D

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

don't trust your friend, he's not really your friend..

14. magicfingers99

Most people don't even understand what TV is. They are entranced by the programming and don't anaylze the system or the messages being propagated.

The medium is the message for most. Life is hard and understanding it is harder. It is much easier to turn off your brain and let the box fill your head, as you fill your belly over and over.

Television requires nothing of the viewer but eyeballs and ears, it gives many things few of them are beneficial.

obesity is a byproduct of tv and is the least lethal aspects of the medium. The destruction of your culture, your community and your civilization lie at the feet of your favorite big screen.

this will go over most peoples heads as, one of the prime aspect of television is to dumb down people as proven by those who cite Nova as a great source of information. damning with faint praise.

I do think not watching television makes you better. but one thing you gain when you give up television is you stop comparing yourself to others. Thats part of the point of television, to build desire and jealousy, to feed the flames, to fill the shelves and garages with the unneeded and unwanted goods.

I especially love people who say they aren't afffected by the constant barage of programming and implied messaging. The ones who say they can resist are the easiest to sway, because they haven't a clue, that they've already been programmed.

The easy thing to steal is that which is unguarded because the owner thinks its impossible to steal.

The universe gives you a finite amount of moments to be in this world, to choose to use them sitting on your backside eating doritos and watching TV might be construed as a waste of your life. but it is after all your life and should you wish to pass it in such mundane and useless endevours, that is certainly no ones business but your's and the great number of companies capitlalizing on your inertia.

all I know for sure is TV is not my friend...

my friends are all human with all the flaws and beauty that implies.

I know I can't resist television, that is why I walked away from it. There is no such thing as being a little pregnant or watching a little tv.

2 Headed Goat, stevemc and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

It strikes me odd, that the music industry with it's infestation of abuses being commonly reported, the deaths of musicians at the hands of some of these abuses, and the deluge of just plain terrible music and lyrics from the music industry as a whole is viewed with respect while television is viewed with disdain from the same group that lauds professional music. Both genres of entertainment share one thing in common: NONE OF IT IS REAL!

16. Toto'sDad

You didn't mention the bugger that lives under your bed that comes out and night and steals you guitar picks.

Skamania likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Of course if you don't like television, there must be some nefarious underlying reason why everyone else shouldn't either. That falls under:

If people agree with your opinions, they are smart.

If people don't agree with your opinions, they are dumb, callous, and probably married to their second cousins.:D

Bassman8 and fendertx like this.
  18. magicfingers99

thats why I buy them by the gross and keep a couple bags stashed in the drawer... Pick Weevils are dang near impossible to wipe out once they get an infestation going.

Wildcard_35, Skamania and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol:

Skamania likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

nothing is real, its all a matter of degrees of belief.
    humans are unique, we beleive one thing one day and act a certain way, then we pass a law, which is merely words on paper and everything changes including our behaviour.

why should this be, birds don't do this, nor bees nor bears nor fish in the sea...

2 Headed Goat and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.