TV Front/Wide Panel- would these cabs sound different or weight more?

Zzpomzz

TDPRI Member
I’m having a Pro build (5e5a) but I’m more into the look of the TV front and wide panel amps. Really torn as I like both a ton and I don’t think I want another narrow panel amp. But I’m curious, all things considered, does anyone know if these style cabinets weigh a ton more or change the sound a ton? I ask because I have a 35310 in a bassman cab and I don’t want a smaller amp that weighs more than that (44-45 pounds).

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Ive played TV Pro's and don't remember them being very heavy, i guess it would all depend on your wood selection though, i hear people complaining about how heavy the pine body CV Telly's are lately so.....

Zzpomzz

TDPRI Member
That makes sense. The builder I’m working with told me he can do any of these but he’s never done it. I’m just wondering if it’ll significantly stifle the sound of the 5e5a by having a tv front or wide panel.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
It is not going to matter much. We are not talking about all that much of a change acoustically. On the weight it all depends on what the cab is made of. Baltic Birch plywood is going to weigh double than a lightweight pine cabinet. And even 'pine' ranges from heavier and lighter. I was just selecting between 2x4's I have and decided on a heavier one for this project and it almost feels twice as heavy as the lighter ones I have. Walking by the pine rack at HD, picking through them by weight you can see the variety in weight.

Al W

TDPRI Member
I've got a TV front Deluxe in pine , very light . Stick with pine and it will be as light as you could hope for.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
A couple of other tricks one can do are use a lighter wood type for interior furring strips/cleats/etc and the like. I have used cedar and spruce on occasion. It is also possible to use thinner back (if applicable) and front baffle boards/ply. I build my boxes like tanks so mine are probably heavier than most would make them, but they are darn near indestructible. Also, for screw+glue construction, the glue does most of the real work once it is dried and set -- translation: the screws are not an absolute requirement much of the time and can be omitted in the interest of weight (if the gluing is done well).

I place more emphasis on the speaker choice for sound (compared to most players I have found) in contrast to box dimensions per se, but I do normally make my boxes with a removable 1/2 back panel and often use front ports for boxes with smaller drivers to enhance low end.