TV Commercials....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Perfect time for this JC Penney tv ad:

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

No, the TV shows will BE the commercials. Actually, this is already true. Product placement in movies and TV shows is rampant. Remember how the cigarette companies used to pay filmmakers to feature their brands in a movie?.....that was child's play compared to today.....

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

And may I add (no pun intended)? After reading all the comments here, I've decided there are two kinds of TDPRI members.....those who acknowledge they are influenced by TV commercials, and those who don't REALIZE they are influenced by TV commercials. (I call them commercial deniers ;) )

stevemc likes this.
  4. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr Tele-Meister

ALL commercials are irritating. Because of this I watch very very little TV.

5. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Did you see the “lease an Aston Martin for only $1799/mo” commercial?

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I realize it seems annoying or holier than thou to say this, but we ditched our tv over a decade ago. The relentless dumb vulgarity, the braying commercials. I mean I’d see commercials that were clever and witty and then I’d see them again and again and again, and everything sucks if it’s overdone. Now I watch tv if we are at a bar or maybe a friends house and they are almost never advertising stuff that I’m interested in. I guess I moved into a different demographic.

but I’m certainly still susceptible to advertising or marketing. I’m more inclined to get it through social media— boutique pedals, specialized gear, sometimes the crap that advertised on the sites I tend to go to. I still construct a need for things that objectively I don’t need. Right now I’m thinking of ordering a handmade wooden “Irish” flute from the guy alleged to be the greatest maker of wooden flutes in the world. Why? I mean it’s not driven by advertising—the guy doesn’t advertise. And yet here I am thinking of plunking down a very significant chunk o change.

I guess my point is advertising isn’t necessary for irrational consumption

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have a $180 32 inch Samsung. I doubt it has those features.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

YouTube is being destroyed by advertising.

And to those posters that say they’re in the wrong demographic. High rating shows get cancelled because they attract the wrong demographic. The idiocy hits peak around that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Having observed many changes over the years Advertising will go to the internet regardless of Adblocker or other applications. Commercial TV will still retain them but the commercials so short and uninformative you go to the internet site to get your information.
    I am looking for a wood stain and despite locating the dealer, I get the address,: so, I have to go there. No phone, no email address and this is a big chain of paint, wood stains, finishes etc. Once you're in the store they have a customer. Welcome to the 21st.Century Folks!:p

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I rarely watch the big three, 7, 9 and 10 after the 6pm news.... and watch abc sbs programs the most...and I'm always on the PC, so TV is a side thing across the room...

ads are still there, but they're not the mindless repeated ads of the commercial channels...and go for shorter times...

I agree that ads get into your head.... for me it's an anti thing where I won't consider those products... I don't consider myself a consumer looking for the next thing to buy that I don't need......

I've never seen an ad from any guitar makers on oz tv.... ...cheapskates...:lol:

dlew919 likes this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

At the store I'm buying things at the cost per oz. Price. I'm quite shocked when I recognize the product name. If I do I recheck my math.
    Once in a great while I need to buy a product and I recall a fun commercial so I decide if not to expensive I'll buy to reward the enjoyable commercial. Damn if I can remember what brand it was even if I loved the commercial. Advert fail.

12. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I cannot stand Chevy’s JD Power “initial quality” award commercials.

The JD Power award must be easier to get than a social disease from a prostitute.:cool:

nojazzhere, Nubs and Bassman8 like this.
  13. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    My nephew is an attorney for a big advertising firm in Los Angeles.
    I have spent a few hours talking with him about the current advertising world. It sounds like most of it is accidental. Good writers are hard to come by and so lots of what we are forced to watch are nothing but rehashed commercial ideas. If it worked once it might work again!

I mute all commercials when I watch tv. Except for these two companies. They are truly funny:

Deathray likes this.
  14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I totally agree!

15. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Fun commercials. Never once bought. Because they have amused I might if I ever run across any. If it's only a buck or so more maybe. Otherwise they wasted money on me. Am I just immune to advertising?

bcorig likes this.
  16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Careful...there was a time when we wouldn't have thought we'd ever see BMW or Porshe marketing 4WD ...it's a new world. :)

17. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

These don't work very well either. Sometimes I'm shopping for a new product where I'm ignorant so I search. Google floods me. I check a few and find my own research and the rest is wasted while they advertise to me for the next 3 months on something I already bought that's half the price or better features so when I look I just reinforce my belief to never buy what's thrown at me.

18. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Perve commercial.

19. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I prefer that too. But if I can get my wife to get away from that and it saves me 30 or 60 a mo to stream, i don't care.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.