TV Commercials....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 8, 2019.

1. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How ‘bout the Duluth Trading underwear commercials?? Uggh! Shut that guy up!

nomadh likes this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Then I have Zero defenseo_O

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm thankful for all these TV commercials.

It gives me the motivation to get out there and do something, instead of watching ball games that, in one way or another, we have already seen before (and you guys know what I'm talking about). The weather is great; so what if my face is a little windburnt.

I'm working in the yard and I got the skinny from my neighbors in Lakeview, the outcome of what they called a "disappointing" game. Niners vs. Saints shootout, eleventy seven lead changes, and they have the best seats money can buy and they still come away "disappointed". If that's not "exciting" then what are these people doing?

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I have no hatred for the advertising business in general. Sure, I dislike some commercials, but whatever. The drummer in one of my bands makes his living producing commercials. Honestly...it seems like interesting work.

5. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Sometimes, just sometimes, the TV adverts are more interesting than the programs they separate. I like to think of each TV advert as a short film about capitalism.

idjster likes this.
  6. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

8. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I killed my telly years back tho I recall some commercials were funny...

9. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Don’t look now but they’ve figured out we’re on the computer, tablet, phone, watch, whatever...and they are putting ads here, too. ...and, these ads are much more insidious, targeting based on all kinds of data about us and our behavior.

(Almost!) Makes me long for the days of a simple “Aren’t you glad you used Dial? Don’t you wish everybody did?” once in a while... :)

nomadh and loco gringo like this.
  10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Or, gasp, commercialized and competitive music! The horror... ;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I dunno if this one was successful, but it's really the best commercial I've ever watched.

uriah1 and Chunkocaster like this.
  12. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I think adverts on TV are appalling and I can honestly say I have never been inspired (brainwashed) into buying anything resulting from a TV advert. (I don't watch hardly any TV anyway).
    What I do find interesting is that all the stuff I might buy is never advertised on TV. Guitars or motorbikes for example, and yes, I know they advertise in magazines but that's different right?
    TV seems to be aimed at morons these days and maybe the ads are aimed at them too. I mean who buys a smell for £100..........or is it me?

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I detest these commercials and I will jump up and hit that mute or turn the whole set off, to avoid them.

And yet, when we drive I-565 in Huntsville past the new Duluth Trading Location, I have this weird inclination to almost wanna stop just to see what's going on in there.

Kinda like the way people rubberneck when they see a lurid automobile collision scene for traffic going the other way. Looking accomplishes nothing, but we're drawn by curiosity.

Somewhere in the USA, something bad is going to happen to someone and if it HAS to happen, better it happen to the Duluth guy than some better loved, better behaved person. And yet. And yet I firmly suspect these odious adverts are actually working and enabling the brand to expand.

15. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I'm totally immune to all the ads and commercials except the music related gear. Honestly!

16. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Has anyone else noticed the relentless onslaught of unrealistic yuppie commercials lately?

- Who buys a Mercedes/Lexus/2 GMCs/etc. for Christmas?
    - Anyone notice the houses in these commercials? They look like they're the GDP of a small country

I specifically remember the GMC commercial last year where the yuppie kid in perfectly pressed dress clothes is bummed out waiting for his father to arrive. Once he does (in a shiny new GMC truck), he has a nice surprise for his snotty kid. That's right, a miniature GMC just like daddy's. And they both laugh and have a great ol' time.

Does this really happen? While they might be memorable for whatever reason, it doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy one. In fact, I can't stand GMs for many reasons, but the most recent is because it stands in the way of me and live TV.

When I fire up my NBC Sports app on the Roku, I have to sit through a Chevy ad before I can watch TV. And when my beloved Flyers are on and playing, the last thing I wanna do is sit through an ad first.

Thanks Chevy for making me NEVER want to buy any of your garbage.

Deathray and bcorig like this.
  17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

My mind is a remote control for everything in life. Except the milkshake channel.

18. GTG_Gopher

GTG_Gopher Tele-Meister

I have a bad habit of using the local news for a timer in the morning to keep me somewhat on schedule before work, as the weather comes on every ten minutes.

Needless to say I receive a dose of the GMC, Chevy and Buick ads that probably well above the safe level for a healthy adult male. I would like express how much I hate these, but to accurately express said displeasure for these ads would result in me violating approximately 107% of the forum rules... :p

I'll stick with my used Toyota for a while longer.

Deathray and Nubs like this.
  19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You guys are really thin skinned. I watch cable TV all day long every day, and the commercials don't bother me in the slightest. I would rather watch Cable than Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Amazon, or any other service, where I have to watch on my laptop, or spend more on another device to connect the output from my laptop to the input on my TV. I like to watch on my TV, and I like not having to plan what I watch all the time, but sometimes just scroll through the channels to see what's on, and then decide.

nomadh and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

News flash!

Most modern TVs are "smart TVs" with built it Netflix etc. You just connect to wi-fi, password one time and it's another channel...

Sadly none of the services offer much I'm interested. I'm piggy backing a friend who has kids and bought a family Netflix and had an extra spot for me for "free".

I buy her lunch or coffee when we meet once or twice a year.... I'm not sure it's worth more than that but if you get hooked on a series like Longmire you can check out for a month!

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.