TV Commercials....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

I steer clear of TV except Saturday for college football when I have games on from 8am College Game Day till it's all over. I'm involved in other activities and not hardly sitting to watch at all; but hear it all and see plenty from the corner of my eye.

But it seem there are only ~10 commercials that get played over and over and over and the funny thing is I have no clue what any of them are trying to sell! One just came on I'd seen 100 times this season and I tried to guess what it was an ad for... I guessed wrong! Even if I was right I don't see how a funny skit is going to make me buy...

I think it's so funny they spend millions of $$$ to beat us over the head and they don't even register consciously!

idjster and bcorig like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

they work. They want you to have exactly the response you are having.

OldDude2, Shuster, RoarDog and 5 others like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is quite a science ... and you are the captive guinea pig.:lol::lol::lol:

4. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Every once in awhile they come up with some gems and it doesm't matter what they're selling.

nomadh and MrGibbly like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Exactly they spend millions believe me they ARE working;)

Probably mostly on a subconscious level the amount of psychological research that goes into commercials is probably mind boggling

It got to you enough that you are mentioning it here ;)

Tonetele and nojazzhere like this.
  6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

TV commercials are an assault on your consciousness. :eek::mad: When I had TV, I used the mute button a lot.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...dunno why, but suddenly, I wanna get Mrs Deeve a Very Expensive exercise bike . . .

:rolleyes:

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

must have worked... its gone viral with you compelled to talk about it on social media.

it acts on the unconscious

Fretting out likes this.
  10. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Actually, they are not working anymore, and have become so numerous & obnoxious, that people, me included, are going away from cable to firestick & other programs that totally eliminate the commercials. The people who make the ads have shot themselves in the foot. Another year or 2, & no one will be watching ANY commercials anymore.

chillybilly and dlew919 like this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

This point of being obnoxious reminds me of when I was a kid everyone was getting cable like HBO and paying for cable programs so you didn’t have to watch all the commercials (I thought that was the point of cable)
    Now all the cable(or whatever they are today beamed from outer space I guess) channels have commercials and it’s not any cheaper
    In fact to keep there profits up with so many people going to online and Netflix type services prices are going up..kind of backwards.now I’m ranting....

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The things they want you to desire are embedded into the programming.. the lifestyles, the fashions, the cars... You even pay for the belief in a freedom from traditional advertising with Smart TV & subscription purchases, etc.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So apparently an exercise bike company made a commercial that is generating all kinds of heat...

The male who appears for 2 or 3 seconds is receiving negative - whatever social media negative is - for being a misogynistic douche for giving a woman a bike.

The woman, who parades around in a continual selfie, is being reamed for:
    Portraying a woman who would accept an exercise bike from a man...
    Or, for accepting an exercise bike from a man.

Oddly, it seems as though parading around in a continual selfie is completely normal and not at all narcissistic.

The stock of the exercise bike company has dropped precipitously since the commercial started.

Now then, in an effort to calm the frayed nerves of those who live and breathe television ...
    Aviation Gin, a Portland based distillery owned in part by Dead Pool himself, has used the same woman in an ad that is a continuation of the bike ad.

So as not to run afoul of management for posting another political comment* both ads can be found here:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/201...n-pokes-fun-at-pelotons-viral-commercial.html

*though I did use the phrase "social media" so I am certain my goose is cooked and I will soon be cast into the void, thus I bid you all, well most of you anyway, a fond adieu...

stormsedge likes this.
  14. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Call now. Call now! We command YOU to call NOW!!!!

uriah1 likes this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I wrote a term paper on the use of subliminal cues in advertising (I was an advertising major, but never worked a day in the field)...it is way worse than one thinks, very well planned, and those that make the effort for subliminal suggestions (just about anything at the national level in print, internet or video) do so aiming at our base levels---security, food and sex. I wrote that paper in ~1980, so one might guess how much more refined the use of subliminal suggestion is today.
    Children are especially susceptible...

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I told my Mrs. they need to show the bike in the background with laundry hanging on it while the gals are kicking back---that is an exercise bike in its true home environment:lol:. I also hang my hunting gear from my pull-up/dip station---really handy:twisted:!

Deathray, BB and RodeoTex like this.
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Popeeil fishing machine

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's a subliminal thing. You won't even know what they were really advertising but once watched you will be buying it soon enough.:eek:

[​IMG]

nojazzhere and OldDude2 like this.
  19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Repetition creates customers, repetition creates customers, repetition creates customers...…………...

The only thing that could have made the Peleton commercial better would be.

If there would have been a new vacuum cleaner and a set of pots and pans with big bows on them next to the bike.

"Get your big fat lazy a** on that bike, get in shape, clean this house and have dinner on the table when I walk through that door"

They're intention would have been a lot clearer then.

Maybe in reality. SHE had it on her wish list and he's actually a hero.

I think we tend to over analyze a lot of things now days.;)

nojazzhere, GTG_Gopher and stormsedge like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Here is ad ,simple genius of a jingle/ brand name, IMO:

" Liberty, Liberty, Liberty "

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.