1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tusq or Graphtech Vintage Tele Saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by El Tele Lobo, Apr 19, 2021.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone try them? How do they sound compared to brass? Trying to find ways to warm up a very bright jazz tele. It's bright even with pickups that should be warm. Wondering if a saddle change would help.

DeepDangler likes this.
  2. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I only have experience with the graphtec and I was recently in the same situation that worked out well for me. This was on a HT strat

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I actually have a set on my guitar and have used them for about 5 months now. If you’re using them for jazz, you will love them! They shave off the ultra high end and make the frequency response smooth. Somewhere between brass and a wood saddle on an arch top. I emailed GraphTech in the past and they told me the TUSQ and GraphTech saddles are all the same material with different colors. These and a pair of flat wound strings will really get you a smooth sound.

I’ve got a jazz guitar in the mail so I’m going to be removing them and putting the old brass ones back on. I’m glad I tried them but want my sharp piercing attack back. The TUSQ saddle has a beautiful even sound that’s resonate and rich but it goes against the character of my rock tele.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

I use graphtech on a 335 clone. I get a tone that's near to the 60/70ies nylon saddles. The attack of the strings is a big softer and less bite on the high string. Great for electric blues ! I recognized that I use less distortion, more clean right on border to break up when I dig in.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I had both tusq and graphtech saddles on a small teisco inspired guitar. The tusq ones were quite bright, but the graphtech were definitely warmer sounding.
    To my ears, both emphasized the fundamental of each note, with less harmonics, giving a more percussive tone.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.