Tusq nut. Poor sounding open 3rd string.

Shaun Brown

NEW MEMBER!
Got a problem; third string always sounds bum when played open. In tune, but sounds bum. 2nd string hints at this also.

I have just replaced the nut with a new, pre-cut tusq part hoping to solve the issue but its still there.

Anybody got any ideas?. I'm wondring if the issue might somehow lie up the other end at the bridge/intonation adjusters?..

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Acoustic guitar or electric guitar?

(Sounds like an electric, i.e. bridge adjusters.)

But, it would make a difference.

imo.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Tusq nuts really aren't that great, and if the string tree is too far back there isn't enough break angle to work well with imperfect slots. There's also the possibility that you sanded the bottom too much and the nut isn't tall enough. If it's not too low, then you need a nut file that's the right gauge to shape the slot properly.

If I were you, I'd take it to the best pro around and have them check it out. Worst case is (probably) that you're just on the hook for a setup. It is possible that the nut's already too low and needs to be replaced, or that they'll find some other issue that needs to be fixed.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Touching the slots with nut saws of the proper gauge might be worth a try.

Last edited:

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am probably stating the obvious, but did you do anything with the slots? They aren't finalized out of the package, you still need to perfect them to your string gauge and the slots will need to be angled down at the back so the strings don't contact the full width of the nut, the slots may also need to be widened at the back of the nut if you are still having binding issues.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I replaced the crappy nut on my Strat with a tusq nut and had the same problem at first. The G just sounded kind of dead. The slot just need to be a little wider and deeper, which I did with a nut file. But be careful. If you go too wide or deep, you'll get a ringing noise behind the nut.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It could be the nut being cut too low, it could be the bridge set too low, it could be a high fret, it could be it needs a string tree - or something else. Too many possibilities from the description.

If you post some pictures in the main Tele forum, someone may be able to figure it out.

Welcome.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Another thing to rule out - make sure your nut is not vaulting the fretboard anywhere causing a void. In other words, if the slot is flat, the nut must be perfectly flat with no voids. Some Tusq Fender nuts come with a removable post in the center for adjustment to fit various radii of necks. If you leave that type of nut as-is to fit in a flat slot, it will leave 2 big voids. Make sure there are no voids. Avoid the void!

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Tusq nuts really aren't that great, and if the string tree is too far back there isn't enough break angle to work well with imperfect slots. There's also the possibility that you sanded the bottom too much and the nut isn't tall enough. If it's not too low, then you need a nut file that's the right gauge to shape the slot properly.

If I were you, I'd take it to the best pro around and have them check it out. Worst case is (probably) that you're just on the hook for a setup. It is possible that the nut's already too low and needs to be replaced, or that they'll find some other issue that needs to be fixed.
This