1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tusk appreciation thread... nary a clunker!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Colo Springs E, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another one that I'd forgotten how solid it was. Mostly pretty mellow, but some really nice songwriting going on with this album.

My faves:

Storms (Nicks singing)
    Over and Over (McVie)
    Save Me a Place (Buckingham)
    Beautiful Child (Nicks)
    Sara (Nicks)
    Tusk (Buckingham)

This is an album I can listen to over and over--and have been the past few days.

[​IMG]

2. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Read the Making of Rumours. Very good book. Didn't realize they spent a year recording that album. They played the reel to reel tapes so much they wore them out!!

Colo Springs E likes this.
  3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

A guy I used to work with was a huge Fleetwood Mac. I like them too and was asking about "Tusk". He said it was good but you had to be a true fan to like it. Most Mac albums tend to be pretty good at least.

4. Colo Springs E

After listening more, there are a few I might call clunkers. But its a solid double album nonetheless!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Ken Caillat, the author of Making Rumors, and a co-producer on the album, has a sequel he published last year called Get Tusked! Lindsey Buckingham was in a very strange headspace recording Tusk, and tried to make the band sound like some sort of punk-psycho-rockabilly sound on his tracks because punk and new wave was such big trends in LA in the late '70s, and he was worried that Fleetwood Mac would sound like a dinosaur by comparison. Caillat's new book is also interesting by comparison with his first one. On Rumours, Fleetwood Mac were a band on their way up -- and by Tusk they were at the pinnacle of LA-based superstardom, and even built a new wing of the studio they recorded in just to cut Tusk.

Colo Springs E and Telecaster88 like this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I'm a huge Mac fan, and Tusk is my favorite record of theirs. So good!

7. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

"... and he was worried that Fleetwood Mac would sound like a dinosaur by comparison."

Yeah... he really dodged a bullet with that one.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I kinda think of the 'white' album with rhiannon as their revolver, rumours as their sgt pepper and tusk as the white album.

Tusk is a challenge for me, a million great textures, and a bunch of songs that sound 'almost there' but it feels like they didn't choose to finish them.

I have had phases where I listened to it and each time, I kept thinking 'I wish they'd polished it.'

I'd note, my favorite beatle albums are rubber soul and revolver and yesterday and today. I didn't like SGT. Pepper as much and I was not a huge fan of the white album... some great moments, but not the polished perfection of the ones I loved.

Engine Swap and Colo Springs E like this.
  9. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Oops, I thought this thread was about "TUSQ" appreciation and was all-fired-up to go on about my nuts. :)
    [​IMG]

Speedfish and Colo Springs E like this.
  10. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I Know I'm Not Wrong is one of my favorites. The deluxe version is interesting; a lot of autoharp on Tusk (I think)

11. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, some things I learned about the recording of Rumours:

It took a year to record
    They recorded breaking glass, sheets of breaking glass, having Mick break them in time, and spent a day recording it.
    They would change strings on acoustic guitars, make one recording, and then change the strings again.
    Songbird was recorded and then played back in the auditorium to get the right reverb levels. IT was recorded with about 20 mics (I dont remember exactly)

Anyway, it is a great book if you want to be a recording engineer.

12. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

The great thing about "Tusk" is it's not "Rumours II". I was in San Diego from 77-80 when FM radio was King and got burnt on "Rumours"(doesn't make it any less a classic). Although, "Silver Springs" can still make me misty-eyed. From "Tusk", "Over & Over" is the standout.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I thought silver springs was on the white album... but i am wrong!

I think I like that record better...

staxman likes this.
  14. Colo Springs E

Yeah that's my favorite one.

staxman likes this.
  15. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Technically, "Silver Springs" was not included on the original release of the "Rumours" album. Although intended for the album, it was only used as the B-side to the single "Go Your Own Way". These days, "Silver Springs" is part of the "Deluxe" releases of "Rumours"...now my head hurts--I'm off to bed.

getbent likes this.
  16. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite too. And "Storms" is my favorite track from it. I have minor quibbles with the sequence of the songs...for instance, I would have started side one with "Think About Me", giving the album a more upbeat track to kick things off.

The later remastered disc sets with lots of demos, alternates takes, etc. are worth checking out if you haven't heard them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.