Turret board material

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by SacDAve, Nov 20, 2016.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I replaced the FC on my 64 Bandmaster my original plan was to remove the whole FC fiberboard with the components and replace it with a complete new one with new components. Just seemed like a good way to preserve the original board. At the time wasn’t sure how it was wired so replaced the FC but in the process saw lifting the board would not have been that hard. Now the other problem the board is 3 ¾ wide by 5 ½ long

The only board I saw was 3 1/8 wide (fiberglass) I didn’t want to use one of the perforated boards and looking at some other materials that would work just got into to much $$$. I thought about plastic laminate (Formica) would it melt? Way to thin. So I came up with this idea I took some hardboard ran it threw the drum sander until I had a piece that would equal

¼” sandwiched between two pieces of laminate. Then I used water base contact cement pressed it together with clamps and pieces of plywood. It turned out pretty nice, really ridged looks good. So I made a board for the bandmaster still might use it and redo the original one. I did try a test solder on a piece the laminate did not melt. I don’t think it will delaminate with all the eyelets or turrets in it. So what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

I would be VERY worried about moisture ingress.

Lots of on-line shops will cut G-10 circuit board material to any size you need.

mRtINY and RLee77 like this.
  3. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

4. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I have to agree that I would have used a board material with known electrical insulating properties. I don't know the properties of the formica and wood, with the addition of the water-based contact cement; it may be fine, or it may leak small current at high voltages, I have no idea.

6. demon

demon Tele-Meister

I think this will be unstable in the long term - moisture ingress and delamination, distortion in hot environment,... So might work OK to get you up and running temporarily but would not trust it in the long run. Probably good reasons why it is not used more often.

I may be wrong of course - I often am :)

7. SacDAve

8. SacDAve

The moisture in the air might be something to think about. Electrical insulating properties I don't think it will conduct electricity but might be more to it than just that? Well I haven't used it yet at any rate I have I had fun making it.

9. SacDAve

I did a web search seems Plastic laminate (formica) has been used for circuit boards even in some old organs and guitar Amps. I don't think moisture will affect it, it's used for wet environments. but the wood inside is another story. The "G-10/FR-4 is a thermosetting industrial laminate" it says "Moisture Resistant" . I also read some people have used wood to make boards . Also found this Dumble Amp, defiantly plastic laminate

Attached Files:

10. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I like to use garolite 3/32" from mcmaster-carr for my circuit boards. I originally bought it to use for blackguard pick guards and it worked well. I also use it for my pickup bobbins. My next musical use for it will be the business end of the cajon drum I'm thinking about building.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.