Turning Japanese?

SpaceyBen

Tele-Meister
Yeah I've been in country for about 5 years and it is a mess for us here. Oh you have two degrees? Welcome to being English teacher!

The racism here gets to me mostly but since I live way out in the country now it's better since I am more a part of the community. In Yokohama it was a lot worse there I was just one of a lot of gaijin.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Not a lot of action in this club lately . . . I'm not really part of this club anymore, but I went over to Japan on a 1~2 year plan and ended up staying for 12 years . . . Tokyo area, the whole time. . . . Actually, I went over on 2 different 1~2 year plans . . . first time I actually just stayed 2 years (as an English teacher), then came back to US and went to grad school. Went back after graduation with only short-term plans, but ended up staying over 9 years. Haven't been back for a long time, but would love to see some of my old friends again . . .

Yoroshiku o-negai itashimasu . . . .

Yuuki

NEW MEMBER!
No way! That is where I am moving to when I am done with my stint in the States. It is so stressful here and can't wait to get back to my childhood friends once again. Since my mother flew to the US to have me, I get to deal with immigration :( March 2016 here I come.... And may teach there at the Womens College there so I will have something to do. :)

Tritone

TDPRI Member
I've been living in Tokyo for about two and a half years. I really like it here. My plan is to pass JLPT N2 before going back to the US to go to graduate school. I am taking (the new) N3 this year and hopefully can pass N2 next year.

DocJay

Tele-Meister
I've been here for over 15 years. I'm now living in Tokyo (Kichijoji/Mitaka area). Good luck with the language tests! I passed 1-kyuu a while back, and I highly recommend taking the exams. Knowing the language definitely deepens the experience.

fordfanjpn

Tele-Holic
Pretty quiet here. I've been in Tokyo for 30 years now. Can't decide whether or not to stay. But as long as MJT is willing to ship to Japan, there's no reason to leave! ;-)

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
Just spotted this thread. I’ve seen a few folks living in Japan post here. I came in 1996, and like many, planned to stay just a few years then go back home. Never did get around to that though :)

Edit: just realized I posted here already in 2015! Blimey.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
We lived near Yokosuka in a nice home for a year (Mrs reminds me she and the kids lived there a year...I lived there about six weeks due to schedule). We lived on the Navy Station the last 1.5 years. We enjoyed it. Mrs got the kids out on a lot of activities and we took an excursion at least once a month on the weekend (if you didn't get off-base, it was like living in small town USA). I tried for a follow-up tour there, but was sent to Omaha instead...no language school required (LOL).

Mrs taught English (both in our home and at the elementary school up the street when we lived in town). The kids got involved in modeling for Japanese children's clothing catalogs...my son, then 8-10 years old and completely blonde was the most successful (much to his older sister's chagrin--but she had to compete with willowy 20 yr olds who were not afraid to change clothes in front of strangers).

Mrs was able to meet me in Hong Kong and Thailand from there. My son came over with a group to Hong Kong and rode the ship back (Tiger Cruise).

Good Times for us...some didn't care for it.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
We lived near Yokosuka in a nice home for a year (Mrs reminds me she and the kids lived there a year...I lived there about six weeks due to schedule). We lived on the Navy Station the last 1.5 years. We enjoyed it. Mrs got the kids out on a lot of activities and we took an excursion at least once a month on the weekend (if you didn't get off-base, it was like living in small town USA). I tried for a follow-up tour there, but was sent to Omaha instead...no language school required (LOL).

Mrs taught English (both in our home and at the elementary school up the street when we lived in town). The kids got involved in modeling for Japanese children's clothing catalogs...my son, then 8-10 years old and completely blonde was the most successful (much to his older sister's chagrin--but she had to compete with willowy 20 yr olds who were not afraid to change clothes in front of strangers).

Mrs was able to meet me in Hong Kong and Thailand from there. My son came over with a group to Hong Kong and rode the ship back (Tiger Cruise).

Good Times for us...some didn't care for it.
I’ve visited one of the bases for a BBQ. It’s amazing. Small town USA was exactly my impression, right down to the US style fire trucks. Wanted to visit the supermarket but we were under a pretty tight leash while on the base.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know i have never been there, but if it is anything like stereotypes, i don't think i would enjoy it much. Or i would rather live in the country side than in a big city where there are ads on giant electronic billboards 24 hours a day.