Turning Japanese?

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Got to go over for many work related projects. Love Japan. Very interesting culture. Love the food and love their 50's rock street band parties (well, if they still have them. Last time I was there was about 15 years ago).

P.S. Good job on interpreting for that guitar buyer the other day. Are you native and have good english or the other way around?

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Got to go over for many work related projects. Love Japan. Very interesting culture. Love the food and love their 50's rock street band parties (well, if they still have them. Last time I was there was about 15 years ago).

P.S. Good job on interpreting for that guitar buyer the other day. Are you native and have good english or the other way around?

I'm an American who came over here on a 3-5 year plan to pay off my student loans--20 years ago. :lol: Somehow I ended up with a house, a wife and 3 kids, and they'll probably ship me back home in a (small) box some day.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Ha, yeah, my son-in-laws' best friend married a foreign exchange student from Japan and ... surprise, he has been living in Tokyo for about 4 years now with a baby. He loves it there too.

spurgie79

Tele-Afflicted
I used to live up North (Misawa) Loved It! Beautiful country. The culture doesn't really interest me all that much but it was neat to experience. I still make a fried egg to go on top of my burgers. I still have friends there and I hope to go back within a couple of years to visit.

sneakyjapan

Poster Extraordinaire
Turning Japanese? No. 100% Canuck and always will be. For me living here has been complicated...sometimes love it other times hate it. One thing for sure, I will go back home and hopefully, in the not too distant future though I`ve said that a few times already...but I mean it this time....no, really.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Turning Japanese? No. 100% Canuck and always will be. For me living here has been complicated...sometimes love it other times hate it. One thing for sure, I will go back home and hopefully, in the not too distant future though I`ve said that a few times already...but I mean it this time....no, really.

I think I'm firmly in the middle nowadays. I'm planning to retire back to the States, but it won't be soon, and I expect pretty severe reverse culture shock. The US has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years....

Feargal

Tele-Holic
I have a brother that lives near Osaka, been over there twice, loved visiting, not sure I'd like to live there. He, like you went there to teach English for a year and now has the kids/house/wife, the whole deal.

sneakyjapan

Poster Extraordinaire
I came with a plan to stay for 2 or 3 years and it`s 19 years later. On the other hand, I have met some people who came here on a teaching contract, and didn`t return after going home for the Christmas break, they hated it that much.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I came with a plan to stay for 2 or 3 years and it`s 19 years later. On the other hand, I have met some people who came here on a teaching contract, and didn`t return after going home for the Christmas break, they hated it that much.

Yep, a good friend of mine didn't last 3 weeks! I don't know what he was expecting but he sure didn't find it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
One thing that struck me was how safe I felt walking to the train station late at night in Tokyo or walking to my motel at 1:00 in the morning after a little saki. It felt so good to feel that safe. It is one of the reasons I moved up here a little sooner than planned.

tiskit86

Friend of Leo's
One thing that struck me was how safe I felt walking to the train station late at night in Tokyo or walking to my motel at 1:00 in the morning after a little saki. It felt so good to feel that safe. It is one of the reasons I moved up here a little sooner than planned.

That does feel good, doesn't it?

sneakyjapan

Poster Extraordinaire
True, I`ve never felt the need to look over my shoulder no matter how late it was when I was walking home, thats one good thing about the country. I do have stories from a female blond hair/blue eyed Canadian friend about last trains home with drunken salarymen...quite different from my experiences. I think it is not the same for expat women judging from things I hear in a local pub where we gather, and there seems to be a lot of stalking stories in the news here.

musicalmartin

Poster Extraordinaire
I can just remember about when you could walk round London and feel safe .Even on gas lit cobbled streets in the East End.
I couldnt live in Japan .I would be stuck to the window of an Ishibashi store permanantly.:D

SpaceyBen

Tele-Meister
I've been living here for a while. Met my wife at university and got married. Ended up moving to Yokohama years ago. Then we moved to her hometown, Matsumoto, and had a baby. I love it here. There are times when I hate it though. Typical stupid **** though... like my company giving all Japanese staff bonuses but none to the gaijin staff or benefits that are only for Japanese staff.

I'm actually looking at Japanese grad schools now so I can get into different areas of work.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
My favorite country in the world,my wife speaks Japanese and we visit as often as we can,I dream of living in Japan everyday that's how much I like it....

sneakyjapan

Poster Extraordinaire
I`ve pretty much reached my saturation point...my father in law has been in a rehab center for several months...not that kind of rehab, he had a lung infection that laid him up for a while then they sent him to the center after the hospital, he`s 83 and I guess they figured he needed some more time to get over whatever it was he had...anyways, my Japanese wife mentioned that once he`s back home.....back on Thursday this week....we should start looking into heading to Canada. Yeah, cool country sometimes, great history but it`s never felt like home, people up here remind me constantly that I am still an outsider, or gaijin, so it does start to grate after a while. Still, been mostly fun, and I always said once that stopped it would be time to leave and that time will be soon. Living here is different from visiting the country for a couple of weeks at a time, the culture is multi faceted and it takes time to see all the sides. Too bad about the bonus Ben, but you know how they deal with stuff like that here, just say shoganai and pretend it ain`t happening.