Turkey necks to eat?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
A guy at work eats turkey necks. He says they are the best part of the turkey. His son works at a BBQ place and saves the necks for him and they're cooking them for Thanksgiving.

Has anyone ever eaten or heard of eating turkey necks?

CJM3309

Tele-Holic
We were just discussing this yesterday after watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Peppermint Pattie told Chuck to save her the neck.

We have always just gotten rid of it before cooking. I was wondering how common it is.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
When I’m prepping the bird for the oven, I’ll put the neck, liver, and heart in a pot of water, add a bunch of salt, and just let them simmer for a few hours. Then pull them out, let them cool down, and strip the meat off the neck. This stuff gets chopped up fine for the gravy. That’s my grandma’s recipe, and I’m sure it goes farther back than that.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Speaking of turkey parts....

In Samoa, a couple of years back, they outlawed turkey tails. seems the people were eating too many of them and it was causing health problems due to the fat content.
I've had them before. a friend used to grill them over low heat on a bbq. was great with beers!!

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
My mom loves that stuff.

We hosted thanksgiving for my extended family. I made a turkey and also fried chicken and we ran out of chicken. Then next year I let everyone vote. No more turkey.

I’ll post glorious golden fried chicken pics. Don’t be jelly of my celly.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Peppermint Pattie told Chuck to save her the neck.
Pretty sure she was joshing when she was acting like she was sweet on Chuck
1669295847154.png

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Waste not, want not. This was drilled into us at an early age.

Neck is fine, but a lot effort for a little - although you do get more from a turkey neck than a chicken. Makes good stock as mentioned above.

Sometimes, I simmer the giblets for our dog(s) (when we had two) (now it’s just Lilou and she’s getting some neck meat and kidney for breakfast, with some turkey broth) and I’ll nibble some of the neck meat as a QC check.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Turkey neck in the stock pot right now, for making gravy

Turkey successfully spatchcocked, no fingers missing, no skin broken. It was not as easy to spatchcok a 15 pound bird as they make it look on YouTube

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
A neck is to wings what wings are to breasts. There's not enough BBQ sauce in the whole wide world to be serving up necks.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
When I’m prepping the bird for the oven, I’ll put the neck, liver, and heart in a pot of water, add a bunch of salt, and just let them simmer for a few hours. Then pull them out, let them cool down, and strip the meat off the neck. This stuff gets chopped up fine for the gravy. That’s my grandma’s recipe, and I’m sure it goes farther back than that.
Exactly! Giblet gravy though I don’t add the liver back.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
same.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Mom used the neck to make stock for the turkey soup she made with the leftovers.