1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tuning Tool for Tele

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ice_pick, Nov 21, 2013.

1. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

A Snark works for me...

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

It's a cute idea, but tuning doesn't take that much time and effort. A strobe tuner gets you there pretty well. What I'd like is a machine that changes strings for me.

4. sonicland

sonicland Tele-Meister

Seems like a solution looking for a problem! As for me, I'll never be so lazy that I can't ask one of my bandmates to tune my guitar.:D

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Might be cool when changing strings, not essential but cool depending upon how it works. Pairing with the phone could be a PITA. It's not shipping until June 2014 anyway so I'll worry about it then.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Can't believe this BS. When I first took up guitar (over 50yrs ago), the first thing I learnt was how to tune it properly.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too bad I just spent my last on the TDPRI fundraiser. I guess I'll have to keep using my 10 dollar Snark :cry:

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I go along with that - I've done a few major label sessions in NY and London, England with no tuner...RCA, Polydor, Atlantic, Bell, Can-Am, Quality Records.

Can just imagine looking like a fool with this thing on a gig - and be some will do it. Have found that Snark or a floor tuner work best because they save time and are silent for working in front of a crowd.

The guy who is unable to tune his guitar using his ears and fingers will never be a decent player IMO. This is geared towards the wannabee with cash - similar to Guitar Hero video games but maybe one step up as it's real.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like gadgets, coming up with gadgets, and that's a cool gadget, but would never be used much IMHO. Would be one of those gifts relatives would give you that ends up in a drawer.

10. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Forget the tuning....... I can't get over this:

"It informs you of the quality of your strings and recommends restringing as soon as the tone quality deteriorates"

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Further down on the site it explains that it measures the elasticity of your strings to determine this.

I think the technology is neat, but I don't think the application is going to make this one a hit. It's cumbersome and expensive enough that it won't replace what we have now. I'd also be surprised if there's enough torque in that little motor to make it wind up quickly enough.

12. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

For $20 or $30, sure, why not.

For $70 or $100. No thanks. My PitchBlack is fine.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd have to buy the iPhone first.

14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was thinking the same thing last night, but also realized back then that I was probably never in tune.

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is not much new about this, and I don't guess I understand why it needs a phone app to power it.

When I worked in the guitar store 99-01... we had something similar on the wall for sale. It was slightly larger than that. You tell it what string that you're tuning, and it works just like the one in the video.

It was a gimmick. No one but non-musicians ever bought them... mostly for extreme beginners, or as "stocking stuffers".

I remember that it was not all that great actually, and would occasionally go off and cause a string to break. It appeared as if it was paying more attention to an overtone than the main tone.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Why in the world would anybody want one of those things? Musta bought that Taylor used. I bought a new Fender, (a F guitar not one of them G guitars) they tune 'em up right there in the store, and you're good to go forever. That foolin' around changing strings is where people go wrong.

17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I still use an old tuning fork in E.

18. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

nice

19. Shiro

Shiro Tele-Meister

I was thinking that somebody should be able to make a stompbox that autotunes each string signal as it passes thru it. You wouldn't have to touch a tuner knob all night. Evidently they can do it with voices, why not guitar strings?

20. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cause it would sound like complete crap!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.