Tuning to Dial-tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-evangelist, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Tele-evangelist

Tele-evangelist TDPRI Member

I'm sure most of you use digital tuners but I was wondering for those who don't, who else here in North America tunes their instruments to Dial-tone? About 5 years ago I met a musician who lives in Brazil and was visiting Canada who informed me that everyone he knows down there tunes by picking up the phone and tuning to the A-440 which is the highest and loudest pitch in the chord that makes up the signal. Underneight A-440 you can also find F-350 which I don't use because in our tempered tuning it's 349.23 to be exact. I thought he was kidding until he proved it to me and ever since then that's what I use. As I'm sure you know, A-440 is the frequency of the harmonic on the A string plucked at the 5th fret. Just wondering.

Here's a link for reference:

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/telecom/signaling/dialtone.html

Tim

2. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I had never heard of that before, but my tuner confirms it. A lit right up.

3. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

Danny Gatton, in one of his instructional videos touches on this.... but I'm pretty sure he tunes to the F.... so.... maybe that explains why I can't play any of his licks....

I'm 9.23 cents out of tune... :D

4. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I read about some guys who'd tune to 60Hz, so that any ground loop hum bore some musical relation to everything else.

5. Bob Marlec

Bob Marlec Tele-Meister

Here, in France , you can easily tune your guitar on the phone, it doesn't give a chord but a single note : A440 (I tune the 12th fret's harmonic on the A string).

6. Tele-evangelist

60Hz

If B natural is 61.735Hz, then you're not far off going with 60Hz. It's not a bad idea because it's easier to find hum than it is to find a phone at some venues I've played at.

Tim

7. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

In the Danny Gatton interview from an old issue of Guitar Player magazine I have (I can't remember the year but he's holding a Phantom of the Opera-like mask in front of his face on the cover) he talks about using the dial tone to tune. I thought I had the issue here at my house, but it may be at my parents house...

8. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

And here I though an F-350 was a Ford truck.

9. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting. All this time I thought I needed a tuner and I could have just been tuning to the hum in my amp. Silly me! I'll keep this in mind for future reference. A question though, will it still sound the same in Chinese?

Bob

10. Tele-evangelist

Chinese?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you meant "Can I tune that way in mainland China?", since they use a different AC system based on 50Hz, it would be a different note; more like 1.9 Hz flat of Ab instead of being flat of B natural. Taiwan I see is the same as North America... but then you were probably making a joke, No?

Tim

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've done it many times before when no tuner was around. It's an old trick used by touring musicians in a pinch.

12. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Yes, my sad attempt at a joke

So SOLLY!!!

Bob

13. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

I started tuning to the dial tone in the '60s.One day I picked up the phone to make a call,noticed it sounded musical,checked it.Voila!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.